What made you smile today?

roger

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2017 03:07 pm
Farmerman makes dove tail joints - with a chisel.
Builder

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2017 03:50 pm
@roger,
I could, but prefer the router.

Building cabinetry for the THOW movement.

Need to treat it like a production run, to make it pay.

We're living in our THOW. Had the trailer professionally built, but I've done the rest myself, including the solar. Managed to get the polarity wrong, and headscratched that one for a month. Nearly smoked two grand's worth of LFP storage.
farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2017 04:53 pm
@Builder,
is a THOW something to do with "Tiny Houses"?? like Tiny House On WHeels??

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2017 04:59 pm
@Builder,
I had to look that up, not picking up what THOW meant, but once I read it I recognized it. I was quite interested in the trend, now some time ago, not so much for myself but as a good idea that I was happy about. I ended up with a link that's not working for me, but I figure there are lots of THOW links out there. I used to post threads, earlier at a2k, about architecture and land use and so on, until I pooped out.

Builder

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2017 05:09 pm
@farmerman,
Yes, as opposed to a THOF (on footings).

There's currently a housing crisis in Australia, not meaning a shortage, but too bloody expensive for most people. For the cost of a year's rent, I built our cabin/spaceship THOWs. It's quite luxurious inside, and not at all tiny. Full galley kitchen, island bed with double wardrobes each, and a full-sized bathroom. Most of the joinery is western red cedar, as is the cladding.

Women over fifty are the "new" homeless growth statistic here. Our govt is selling us out for private gain.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2017 05:12 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
I figure there are lots of THOW links out there.

It's just kind of hitting the headlines here, but nothing new about it, really.

Ours featured in a newspaper article a while ago.

Having led the gypsy existence most of my life, the concept appeals to me. My grandfather's indigenous influence means I have itchy feet syndrome, and like to go walkabout every now and then.

Planning on having three of these THOWs in three locations, so we can enjoy the best weather year-round.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2017 06:28 pm
Finding out about this group, the Federation of Egalitarian Communities put a smile on my dial.

I'm part of a couple of groups on facekook who are pressuring local councils for the "right" to live an existence by choice, rather than by rule.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2017 03:53 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Next time, just lift the tail and think punctuation marks. If you see a colon, it's a male. Semicolon means female. Of course, an unneutered male is quite conspicuous.

This^. It aint called 'able2know' for nuffin.
Builder

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2017 07:25 pm
Installed the front load washing machine in the THOW today.

It runs fine straight from the solar controller without a hitch.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2017 08:15 pm
@lmur,
Roger is quiet but smart,
glitterbag

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2017 09:32 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Roger makes me smile every time he posts
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 02:26 pm
First Etsy sale in my new shop.

Kaching!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 04:43 pm
Back in the 1980s, I had just moved into Manhattan and was living on a small side street near the East River. People who lived on that street formed a block association. We had street fairs and auctions. First we collected money to enhance security in many of the buildings. Then we bought and planted trees--little saplings.

I rode down that street today. Some of the trees are three stories high. Seeing the beautiful trees made me smile. It also made me smile remembering how we struggled to plant the trees and build the brick enclosures for them.

Hey, I'm from da Bronx. I don't know nuttin' 'bout plantin' no trees. Gimme a break.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2017 05:03 pm
@Roberta,
You and the association did good, hear? (I know tree planting, or, I should say I did.) Here in Sandville, I've started trees from a couple of saplings showing up from the city of Albuquerque's little tree and walk corridor that is at the side of the other part of the duplex where I live. The saplings aren't rampant, so no present danger of too many of these. Soon I'll remember the name of the trees and report it.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2017 11:55 am
@ossobucotemp,
ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2017 12:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
especially for youuuuuuuu

https://donaircam.com
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2017 12:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
I can't see it until I get new computer (saving up), but I'll make myself a note: I can always use a smile, even a saved one.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2017 12:43 pm
@ossobucotemp,
and for you !

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/an-unabashed-appreciation-of-smitten-kitchen-the-ur-food-blog
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2017 12:57 pm
@ehBeth,
Heh, opening that caused yet another computer seizure, just the twirlies this time and I could still get back to the last thread(s). The good news is that I nabbed a form sent to long time NYer subscribers a few weeks ago and I'm still on their longtimer files though not subscribing for years now. Egads, $25.00 for a year of 48 mags. I'm a happy girl!! Haven't been to the mailbox yet today so maybe the food article will be waiting for me.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2017 01:09 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

especially for youuuuuuuu

https://donaircam.com

My crappy IE 11 browser at work refuses to acknowledge that Youtube formatting of a video. I'll watch it when I get home tonight.