What made you smile today?

ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 05:53 pm
My swimming goal for June is a mile - 64 lengths.

Got distracted today and did 60 lengths. Looks like my goal is within reach.

Feeling pretty good since 40 lengths was my goal for the end of February and I reached it on my 2nd swim in Feb. There's hope for old bones and bodies Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 07:27 pm
@ehBeth,
Wow, I'm impressed. My wife and I walked around Waikiki today, and I was really tired after about 6 blocks.
Not used to walking, so after our walk yesterday at Ala Moana Shopping Center, my lower legs cramped up on me after we returned to our hotel.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 07:28 pm
@ehBeth,
What made me smile today?

I sat down in my favorite coffee shop this morning. On my right was a woman who was playing with her infant in her arms making him giggle and laugh uncontrollably and on my left was a kid fidgeting because he was coming off a meth binge. It reminded me of the philosophical race to recapture that type of motherly attention but some do it through shitty means.
0 Replies

Photography Lover

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 09:24 pm
@nimh,
I caught this woman checking me out and I had a smile/smirk to myself.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 10:08 pm
My daughter brought me a new heater, a beautiful one that simulates fire. Wonderful nice gesture. But it draws more electricity than my mobile home wires can carry. Oh, well. She loves me.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 09:42 am
Smiling because it's a lovely warm day here in SW FL. Warm enough and not too windy so that both of us (my s/o, the lovely Maxine) got on our bikes and rode around our complex. First, though, I adjusted our helmet straps and inflated the tires and made sure all was in working order.

Maxine needed some help with learning how the gear selection worked but in no time we were cruising. One day in a row but on our way to making this a regular habit. In my past life, prior to the last few years, I used to be a regular rider. This makes me happy to share this experience with my special lady.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 01:06 pm
@Ragman,
It's going to be another beautiful day in paradise, Hawaii. Steady at 80 degrees.
Ragman

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 02:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Nodding.

We've similar temps here for the most part but your nights are bit warmer there...plus beautiful Hawaiian sunsets too. Hope you both have a ball, Tak!
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2017 02:50 am
@Ragman,
We stayed on the beach after dinner and watched the wonderful fireworks.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 08:50 pm
@ehBeth,
re-reading: this reminds me that Prince Phillip was taken by the high up department of medicine guy to see my lab. Well, not mine exactly, but I was the only tech for some years, doing things like moving the refrigerator and so on, and often working late, being just one person. This was in sort of early days of immunology testing. Eventually we hired another guy as I was asked to join a research crew. But that day, the lab area secretary buzzed me to say they were on the way, and I decided I needed to go to the restroom fast. Stayed there until the coast was clear. All these years later, I'm not clear on my motives. Part of it is that I'm from an irish american family, but that's not quite on the nose. Closer may be that I'd an instinctual avoidance of princes. And, underneath, I had an early life of shyness, though by then a lot of that had waned.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 09:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Mile for me, way back when, was 72 lengths, and that was when I was in my late thirties, at the west LA YMCA (women are there too). Then I would go home and sneeze.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 09:31 pm
A terrific day, today.

Thomas showed up in Albuquerque, and we got together where a2kers have joined in before, at Flying Star on Rio Grande Blvd. Thomas, from Germany, has visited in Abq before.

Snort, I remember him arguing with me about how I pronounced something and he well may have been correct. I think I sputtered resistance. Man is good at listening.

Thomas and Buterflynet and Diane and I talked for quite a while.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 09:51 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Nice. Please say "hello" to every one for me. We're now in Hawaii for 3 more nights before our flight home.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 10:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Not all of a2k folk agree - and that restaurant a good place to talk. Also, they have good burgers.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 10:44 pm
@ossobucotemp,
That isn't strange that not all a2kers agree. I don't agree with my wife and siblings all the time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:30 am
A big smile based on a Facebook post this morning.

A friend of mine recently retrieved a number of his mother's belongings (long story). As he went through the boxes, he found some photos of his father no one in the family seemed to know. His dad was a well-known percussionist in Jamaica in the 1950's - 70's. In 1964, he worked as an extra in High Wind in Jamaica. V posted great candid shots of the cast and crew that his dad took as well as some wonderful photos of his very handsome dad in his lead pirate outfit. The photos made me smile, as did the comments of family who hadn't seen them before. Everyone enjoying the memories.

wow - James Coburn in his youth was almost too pretty. what a good-looking guy
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2017 04:58 am
Is it possible that someone has already invented time travel, figured how dangerous it was and destroyed their time machine?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 03:49 pm
I've been grumpy re politics for months now, so I appreciate good magazine or newspaper articles that aren't about current politics around the world. Today I was refreshed, actually happy, reading My Life with Oliver Sacks, by Bill Hayes, a good writer and photographer. It was a a breath of fresh air to read it.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/mar/26/bill-hayes-insomniac-city-my-life-with-oliver-sacks-new-york
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2017 07:36 pm
Bob Rae responded to me on twitter - using my twitter handle - not just a re-tweet.

<giddyup>
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 01:48 pm
One week today and I'm awaaaaayyy!!! (again)

Look out Spain!