What made you smile today?

Editusrex

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 06:21 am
It's one of those days, with this area of the East Coast being wind-pummeled, that's just oddly majestic -- early fall weather, the darkening sky with the storm coming in, an only-slightly-chilled wind whipping everything. I'm not out in it, thankfully -- watching from my office window -- but when I was driving into work earlier, you could feel that impending temperature change in the air. I love these kinds of seasonal storms; they make me smile and wish I was listening to the rain on my deck, under a tin roof and wrapped in a blanket!
the prince

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 07:19 pm
@Editusrex,
The thought of going to Monte Carlo (via London)

Yipeeeeee
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 01:35 am
on my friend's facebook page:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/sarahpalin_zps8725b475.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 05:47 am
@sozobe,
A follow-up smile -- went to Zumba and my instructor busted out some Gangnam Style moves! I'd been wanting to do them since I saw the video. Fun. Silly as heck but fun.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 08:21 am
@sozobe,
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/263/f/7/gangnam_style_elevator_by_yomanw-d5feaiz.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 10:02 pm
a feature on the CBC tonight of my most beloved Tafelmusik

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2012/09/21/f-video-tafelmusik-schlesinger.html

some awesome memories there. I've been a subscriber since they were in their granola and birkenstock days. I feel like we all grew up together.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 11:05 pm
@izzythepush,
Is it too late to say I totally do not get why this would make anyone smile?

I generally get Izzy, but not this time.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 03:42 am
@ossobuco,
I was responding to Sozobe, it's a reference to the Gangnam style video. If you've not seen the video you won't get it.
0 Replies

Editusrex

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 07:10 am
The jockeying for position that takes place among the crack-of-dawn commuters who schlep zombified in to get their coffee et al. They're all trying to pour coffee, get the best donuts, put lids on . . . and I slip in unnoticed and grab the last donut. Being short has its perks, and I'd already gotten my coffee so it was ninja stealth! I feel only moderately bad that I took the last one . . .
0 Replies

Editusrex

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 06:38 pm
Just cause Monty Python always makes me smile ...

http://freshmuseblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/do-a-silly-walk1.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 06:46 pm
@Editusrex,
Seeing Tai Chi post.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 04:20 pm
reading on FB that Piffka is not only organizing author poetry readings in her own community and Portland - but that she is one of the authors

woot woot piff!
chai2

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 06:23 pm
Eating a burger at Fuddruckers, saw a dad come in with his 3 year old boy.

Boy was carrying a stuffed tiger, looked just like Calvin and Hobbes come to life.

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2012 12:24 pm
@ehBeth,
Please say "Hi" to Piffka for me. I recall her doing Mr. Piffka's quotes and we both shared this poem.

My Papa's Waltz

The whiskey on your breath
Could make a small boy dizzy;
But I hung on like death:
Such waltzing was not easy.

We romped until the pans
Slid from the kitchen shelf;
My mother's countenance
Could not unfrown itself.

The hand that held my wrist
Was battered on one knuckle;
At every step you missed
My right ear scraped a buckle.

You beat time on my head
With a palm caked hard by dirt,
Then waltzed me off to bed
Still clinging to your shirt.
Theodore Roethke

She also did The Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce . (another mystery)

0 Replies

Editusrex

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 06:09 pm
Having a chance to visit with my dad, in from Florida, and watching him interact with my kiddos!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 09:08 pm
@Editusrex,
I've been gradually cleaning up the garage, where I still had a few boxes from when I moved (a lot of it stuff from my work studio). I unearthed one last box - oooh! Wrapped in a sweater was an Italian vase I had forgotten about, and a Tunisian one. No biggie re money - I paid 2.00 for the Tunisian one, and I don't think much more for the other - but it's fun to have them. Also, wrapped in that kind of greenish foam packaging... what could this be ... outer wrapped with a lot of paper, set in a plastic box, which was in a big bubble wrap envelope... ?? Yes! my parents' Baccarat decanter. More monetary value than the other two, but still nothing like the pleasure of finding it. I had missed it, but blamed the moving company, figuring it was a break and then toss situation. They actually did break other stuff, like the mahogany bed, which I won't go on about or I'll get irritated all over again.

I don't remember my parents ever using the decanter. It probably was a wedding present for them. Pretty thing.
Letty

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 10:57 am
Just when I thought all the birds were vanishing, seeing this beautiful array over the ocean.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/nature/formation/snow-geese.jpg
Rockhead

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 10:59 am
@Letty,
I saw a big red headed woodpecker this morning miss letty.

we still have lotsa birds here...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 12:16 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Yes! my parents' Baccarat decanter.

How good a likeness is it of Bert?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 12:46 pm
@izzythepush,
Poor likeness indeed.