What made you smile today?

spendius

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Having "see" rather than "c" when you have "u" instead of "you" is enough to make a barn door piss itself laughing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:36 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm envious, but would also have some trepidation, not re where the driver sits, but for my own non-acquaintance with the city streets and Parisian driving mores. I got used to italian drivers (seem like maniacs but tend to know exactly what they are doing, with excellent timing on braking - a generalization of course).

Makes me smile to think of you doing this.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:41 pm
@izzythepush,
I didn't know that..
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:47 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It all boils down to carrying swords. You hang your sword on the left side of your body. You ride on the left, so your swords don't clatter against each other as you go over London Bridge.

I quite agree, although I don't think it had much to do with swords, hanging from the left hip, clattering against each other. The left hand side of the road habit started, I believe, to leave your right hand, i.e. your sword-weilding hand, free to engage in a fight against the man coming up on your right.

(Which makes me wonder where the rest of the world got into the quaint habit of traveling on the right -hand side of the road?)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:47 pm
@izzythepush,
A friend of ours owned (don't know, may still) London Bridge Chinese Restaurant in Lake Havasu, Arizona. Odd place, not the restaurant but the town, very noisy boating going on down by the lake.

(He specialized in old cognacs..)
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:48 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I was thinking that too, Walter.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:50 pm
@ossobuco,
There are lakes in Arizona?

The only waterway I know down there is the estuary of the Colorado R. down around Yuma.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:33 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
It's a faux lake, if I remember correctly.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Lake Powell is really a beautiful place. Was there just two months ago. It's the second largest man-made water reservoir in the US.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:29 pm
@izzythepush,
I liked the Charles Bridge in Prague too - very lively and very bohemian.

Driving in Paris is mostly gridlock, awful. If there isn't a car dented then it's brand new Smile Alone the cab ride from and to the airport was a challenge, but so was the Metro. So you're screwed either way.
hingehead

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:42 pm
This:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/the-cutest-things-that-ever-happened
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 09:42 pm
@hingehead,
aaawww these pictures are so cute!
---

We're not only smiling we're laughing and laughing. My teenage daughter found her short essays from first grade. Oh they're so funny.....
she wrote about how she would like to play the harp and she likes listening
to the "herpest" (harpist)..
the prince

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 10:53 pm
@CalamityJane,
Holding hands in the cab. <sigh>
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:39 am
@CalamityJane,
I have driven in Paris before, but it was about 17 years ago. I'm taking my little boy to Disneyland. We've got free tickets, and are staying at a hotel near Disneyland. I don't intent to do much driving once I'm parked up at the hotel, I was going to take the metro into town and go up the Eiffel Tower. The next day we're off to Disneyland, and then back to Cherbourg to catch the ferry.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 02:43 am
@izzythepush,
Good luck. We took our Kids on the "KIDS 101" required family bonding trips to Disney Orlsndo, many years ago. We took several other "friends of the kids" along.
You will soon learn why some genera of Pongids eat their young.
My theory is that we evolved from that clan.

izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 02:51 am
@farmerman,
Thank you, I don't think I'd go as far as to describe Parisians as Pongids, but I get what you're saying.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 04:29 am
Getting all the ceiling sheets up and pinned on this renovation project. Bone Arse.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 04:33 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
There are lakes in Arizona?

The only waterway I know down there is the estuary of the Colorado R. down around Yuma.
I remember a lake ( pond ? )
in Phoenix in Encanto Park; boating n fishing.

David
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 08:01 am
@hingehead,
WOW!!!! Thank you for that.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 08:14 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I have driven in Paris before,
On the left or the right?

izzythepush wrote:
but it was about 17 years ago. I'm taking my little boy to Disneyland. We've got free tickets, and are staying at a hotel near Disneyland. I don't intent to do much driving once I'm parked up at the hotel, I was going to take the metro into town and go up the Eiffel Tower. The next day we're off to Disneyland, and then back to Cherbourg to catch the ferry.
I hope that will all ENJOY Disneyland very much, Izzy.
Will u report back to us on its better points?

Do u speak French?
Do u need to speak French in that Disneyland ?

David