What made you smile today?

Eva

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 10:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Oh! A picture appeared!

Forget what I said...I'll take two of the above!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 11:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Andy, querido, My response to your chowder remarks is a loud, slightly moist Bronx cheer.

osso, I like both kinds of chowder, too. But I've had the Manhattan in this jernt before. Mighty tasty. Lobster is my favorite food. I've had it in many places, prepared many ways. It never disappoints me.

c.i., It looks great, and the price is right. But I'll stick with Maine lobster. Let's face it. I won't be in Havana any time soon.
the prince

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 02:21 am
@Roberta,
Passing the theory driving test for Singapore with 100% marks.
McTag

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 02:38 am
@the prince,

Mazeltov
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 06:31 pm
just listening to a radio feature about a program in a grade 4 class where the kids are learning to play bridge to improve their math and decision-making skills

they asked one of the kids if he'd played bridge with his grandparents.

no, they'd be too hard to teach. it would be "like teaching a turtle to do jumping jacks"

Laughing

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 10:42 am
@the prince,
You own a car in Singapore? WOW! I'm impressed.
the prince

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 06:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Just the mere thought of not having a car sends shivers up and down my spine.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 06:46 pm
@the prince,
They drive on the left just like in England - but not as civilized! I had even trouble crossing the street in Singapore, always looking at the wrong side, never mind driving.
the prince

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 07:06 pm
@CalamityJane,
They drive like maniacs !!!!!
Eva

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 07:08 pm
@the prince,
Which will give you permission to do the same, right?! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 08:14 pm
@CalamityJane,
Having just been to London for the first time - I have to say I was impressed with the roads - every one has 'Look Left' or 'Look Right' in large white letters for us dumb tourists.

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/49158361.jpg
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 08:29 pm
@hingehead,
That's progress, hinge Laughing
When I was a student and in Brighton for summer school, I rented a bicycle and the minute I drove around a curve, I was pedaling on the right hand side again.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 01:30 am
@CalamityJane,
I'm going to be driving to Paris next week, I've done it before, but still feel a little trepidation.

It all boils down to carrying swords. You hang your sword on the left side of your body. You ride on the left, so your swords don't clatter against each other as you go over London Bridge.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 01:36 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I'm going to be driving to Paris next week,
I've done it before, but still feel a little trepidation.
Look out for the guy with the bow.

izzythepush wrote:
It all boils down to carrying swords.
You hang your sword on the left side of your body.
You ride on the left, so your swords don't clatter against each other as you go over London Bridge.
Going over London Bridge, huh?
Well, while u r in Arizona,
I suggest that u try the rotating glass restaurant, the Compass Room,
atop the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Phoenix, at nite; good food; good vu.
the prince

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 02:23 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Having just been to London for the first time - I have to say I was impressed with the roads - every one has 'Look Left' or 'Look Right' in large white letters for us dumb tourists.

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/49158361.jpg

Not just for tourists. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 02:48 am
@OmSigDAVID,
The reason I mentioned London Bridge was because it was one of the first places on Earth to have a designated traffic flow system.

Quote:
In 1722 an attempt was made to control congestion by ordering all traffic to keep to the left, an order that became the established rule of the road.

http://oldlondonbridge.com/georgian.shtml

Today's London Bridge is really quite dull, as I suspect is the one your compatriots purchased. When I was in Prague I visited Charles Bridge, which still is in keeping with its mediaeval roots.

A few years ago I was sitting in a Cinema in London, this was in the days when we no longer had B movies as such, but a thirty minute documentary. On this occasion it was a tourist video about Arizona. It was quite a surreal experience, sitting in London, and being invited to travel to an imitation London in Arizona.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 03:08 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The reason I mentioned London Bridge was because it was one of the first places on Earth to have a designated traffic flow system.
In modern times perhaps, since already the Romans had quite a few laws which regulated the traffic. Wink
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 03:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
By the way: in Medieval Times, the Sachsenspiegel ("Saxon overview", written ca. 1220 ) regulated the traffic in Germany ... including, how to pass on bridges. (Besides being the general 'law book'.) And that until the 18th/19th century.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Ok Walt, I did use the phrase 'One of the first,' not 'The first,' because I know you can be quick off the mark.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:56 am
@izzythepush,
See if u like Las Vegas.

David