What made you smile today?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 06:17 pm
@sozobe,
I get you on that. Happy for you, soz. Have painting ideas ready myself - have to buy some screen doors and a couple of window screens for ventilation first, oil painting being my joy. I never had trouble painting because of where I lived before, just opened the windows.. so this has been a learning experience. (Swamp coolers need an inch or so of air in or out to work.)

My smile today came from a grocery store visit. When I went into the outdoor entry area, I heard music, a never never in my experience in this city much less this store. Sure enough, crouched near the ice machine was a young guy playing the guitar rather nicely. I bought a little less than I might have and gave him some money as I left, something I don't do anymore since I need it myself. But this was so good to hear.

Back in what I used to call north north, at the Arcata grocery called Wildberries, if you went there on a Saturday mid-morning there was a superb guitarist (well, that was then as I suppose the musicians change, there's a good music scene there) midway between the entry and the counter with the good pastries and coffees and teas and tables and chairs. What with that and the great produce and the aisle with all the locally made jams, the aisle with all the local beers, the aisle with the local soaps, it was more of a treat than a chore to shop. Plus there was a ride by the bay to get back home, even a great view coming out of the parking lot.

Given that above in my memory scope, I nearly teared at hearing this young guy. I guess the word is busker. He needs a place to put the dollars so they don't blow away.
I think I need to call the store to tell them I was glad to see him.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 06:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Called the store. Manager glad to talk. Told him about Wildberries, how the music was a plus.
Hope the guy, kid to me, keeps showing up.
jjorge

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 07:44 pm
@ossobuco,
nice vignette osso
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 08:19 pm
@jjorge,
we'll see. I liked the manager, a real guy, not phony.

Vignette, eh, this is my life.
jjorge

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 08:40 pm
@ossobuco,
vignette as a brief incident.
It doesn't have to be fictional to be a vignette does it? :-/
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 08:46 pm
@jjorge,
No, I think of it as a clip, and it was a clip. I just didn't mean it as well wrought.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 08:47 pm
@jjorge,
sometimes you need to call ahead if you're gonna bring compliments.

depends on the day...
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 08:55 pm
@Rockhead,
jjorge and I know each other. I respect him a lot.
msolga

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 11:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Nice post, osso. Smile

jjorge

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 04:51 am
@ossobuco,
mi amiga
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 09:07 am
@msolga,
This made me smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1oWopogowE
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 08:55 pm
Surfing for something and I came across a tumblr site that had these two animated gifs that made me smile. Happy sad.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0h2kdSCUW1r3gb3zo1_400.gif

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0x97q9GTj1qa6zg9o1_500.gif
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 01:32 pm
Quote:
Boston sets temperature record as mercury
climbs towards 80s in peak of warm spell

Boston broke a temperature record shortly before 1 p.m. today, but forecasters say the mercury
is expected to climb even higher.

The high temperature record for March 22 is 72 degrees in Boston set in 1948. Shortly before 1 p.m.,
Boston reached 76 degrees, and the forecast calls for it to climb into the low 80s.

Today is the fifth record-setting day so far this month, including Sunday and Monday, when temps
hit 74 degrees.
(globe)

it's up to 83°F, according to weather.com.
have to keep reminding myself it's march... Cool
Rockhead

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 01:37 pm
@Region Philbis,
it feels like mid April here right now.

there is serious speculation that we've had our last frost. and it was weeks ago...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 10:15 am
reading farmerman with his usual typing flair, and his missing U key talking to Bill is almost as good as a running crocs strip.

farmerman is definitely bob to bill's larry...
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 10:52 am
@Rockhead,
And I smiled at this line by farmer -

Oh I love the letter u, its so useful in polite communication and it catches rainwater too
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 11:03 am
@ossobuco,
I'm off to the Dalmatian Coast on March 28th for 3-days in Zagreb, then a 11-day cruise from Croatia to Greece. (smile) Smile
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 08:39 pm
from outta the blue, I got a PM tonight from twopacks.

I miss that guy...
roger

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 08:41 pm
@Rockhead,
So do I.
sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 03:27 pm
@roger,
This article was smile-inducing, not in the expected way though:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/magazine/angry-birds-farmville-and-other-hyperaddictive-stupid-games.html
0 Replies