OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 03:01 pm
@realjohnboy,
No; its OK.

David
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 03:08 pm
Izzythepull doing Art Bakey and the Jazz Messengers on the Yabber thread. Love Moanin' and I met Art Blakey in New York. He signed our photo with, "nothing but the soul."
izzythepush

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 03:17 pm
@Letty,
Art Blakey is my favourite jazz muscian. I also really love Dat Dere, on this versian the piano is sublime. I bet your picture has a treasured spot.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 01:13 am
I had dinner with my cousin last week. During the course of the conversation, I mentioned that my VCR is broken. During another part of the conversation, I mentioned that I wished I had headphones for the tv.

Two packages arrived today. A VCR/CD player and wireless headphones. What a good kid my cousin is.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 04:48 pm
NEW VAN HALEN!!!! IT'S SMOKIN' Very Happy
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 10:38 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Really smiled to see Romney and Gingrich beaten by Santorum and Paul.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

BBB

Letty

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 02:44 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I don't pay much attention to politics, BBB, but it made me smile to see that Paul McCartney is in trouble because he did this version of a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrBl-ITdzVE&feature=related
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 07:20 pm
@Letty,
Cool, girl..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 07:42 pm
The guy manning the clothing (etc) donation truck that sits four days a week in our local grocery store parking lot was "new". Friendly, happy to talk with someone wanting to give him boxes and bags. Waved when I drove off after going to the grocery store too. It's the small things that help make a day, eh?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 03:49 am
@ossobuco,
For those of you feeling a bit lonely on Valentine's Day, just rember all those lovely Valentines chocolates will be half price tomorrow.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 11:38 am
@izzythepush,
Chocolates do tend to make me smile, but I'm presently chocolate avoidant since I ate the whole rest of the chocolate & coffee gelato, yikes.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 11:44 am
I have 2 kitties, roland and otis.

otis is the "strong silent type" he rarely makes any sound at all, like for weeks at a time.

Ah, but I've learned his secret....he talks to himself.

I'm home today, but ensconced in my office, searching the job boards. otis doesn't realize I'm here, and is having the time of his life, walking about, chattering "meow....meow meow meow.....meow." This starts up every 10 -15 minutes.

meow.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 11:50 am
My vision is not so good these days. I just bought some Foster Grant magnifying reading glasses and they have LED lights built into the temples. So cool
ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 02:47 pm
http://prairiegirlbakery.com/images/gallery/photos/gallery4.jpg
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 02:49 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I bet they come in handy for connecting up the wires in a plug socket when the lights have gone out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 02:45 pm
Sozlet watched a pretty intense documentary about 9/11 on the 10th anniversary (I talked about it here at the time, it was shown by a substitute and was a) too much for these kids and b) not discussed properly IMO), and has been skittish about planes ever since.

She keeps being worried about "low flying" planes. The ones I've seen look fine to me. (Not that low.) She tells me that they're really loud, louder than usual, and I suggested that it had something to do with it being winter -- sound travels differently.

This has been going on for months. She gets really worried and isn't reassured by me.

I eventually, after another round of this, ended up using some "contact us" link on the Columbus airport page and asking something like, are there actually more low-flying planes than usual?

I did it with her there as a "see I'm doing what I can" sort of thing. I did NOT expect a reply.

But some very very very nice guy at the Columbus airport DID send a long, thorough, extremely thoughtful email in response. In part:

Quote:
I looked at our flight data, looking to find any commercial airliner flights that would appear to be an atypical low flight operation, and I was not able to find any flights that were not following the prescribed fight procedures into Port Columbus International Airport, Rickenbacker International Airport, or Bolton Field Airport. All the aircraft were following existing flight procedures in place and were under the control of Columbus Approach and Columbus Tower. Also the flight patterns and procedures for Port Columbus International Airport, Rickenbacker International Airport, or Bolton Field Airport have not changed.

There were in the area of your residence a handful of small general aviation aircraft that were low flying, that were either departing and arriving into Ohio State University Airport. However, I am unaware if Ohio State University Airport has changed any of their flight procedures for arriving and departing aircraft.

Finally, your guess about sound traveling differently in winter time is correct. Due to numerous factors from the colder, dense winter air, lack of leaves on the trees, low cloud cover, and varying winds, sound waves behave differently than a nice, warm summer day.

I hope this information helps eliminate the concerns your daughter has with low flying aircraft in the area of your residence. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

How sweet is that?!

I was so impressed.

And she's been doing much better since. (We got the response about a week ago but the smile was a follow-up from him today. I've made sure his superiors know how helpful he was.)
mismi

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 02:52 pm
@sozobe,
That is really nice. Not too many people go that far out of their way to explain things so well...Forget about them following up. Smile

That would make me smile too!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 04:10 pm
a friend was recently a body-painting model

the results are absolutely glorious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0yF-026nXc
mismi

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 05:43 pm
@ehBeth,
I would be sad to have to wash it off. Loved watching that Beth.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 06:01 pm
@mismi,
Jaene was very sad when she had to remove the paint.

I love the combination of the painter and dancer. It really is one of those 1 + 1 = 3 things.