What made you smile today?

chai2

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 04:10 pm
@realjohnboy,
dude

I was thinking about it, and maybe it was the way the prism of light was hitting an object (the clouds) that had a lot of folds and turns in it.
sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 04:15 pm
@chai2,
It's cold in Texas right now, right?

Could it have been sundogs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog

http://cumbriansky.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/spokane-sundog1.jpg?w=300&h=213
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 04:40 am
Woke up sad today. Today a year ago was when I heard my dad speak for the last time.
I still remember the last words I heard him speak- 'Not necessarily' - when the nurse asked him if he was ready to start dialysis as a last ditch effort to save his life.
He wanted to finish his breakfast first he said, and he did- and then he went to sleep and never woke up.
I think he willed it that way. I couldn't see him hooked up to a machine and I don't think he could have seen himself that way either.
Anyway - woke up hearing his calm, quiet, stoic but sad voice in my head. Started crying. Then opened my e-mail and found these from a friend who's a gamekeeper on a large estate:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/shooter-d16_500.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/shooter-bambi_500.jpg

and this text regaling me with one of his stories about the people and life there:
Quote:
... the shepherd and the shepherdess Will and Annie- she is 30 stone or more- he weighs probably no more than 6 so so funny- she takes in my orphan deer- have seen them hanging in their kitchen in her bra- 1 fawn in 1 cup and a lamb in the other--or these legs poking out the bottom of the aga- little orphan fawn nesting there to stay warm.

Then he told me about the stag that wandered in having jumped an eight foot high fence and he hunted him down and found him with a tesco bag stuck on his antlers...shopping? (he asked).
It's hard to stay sad too long. There's still a lot in life to smile about.

URL: http://able2know.org/reply/topic-3742
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 03:35 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Woke up sad today. Today a year ago was when I heard my dad speak for the last time.
I still remember the last words I heard him speak- 'Not necessarily' - when the nurse asked him if he was ready to start dialysis as a last ditch effort to save his life.
He wanted to finish his breakfast first he said, and he did- and then he went to sleep and never woke up.
I think he willed it that way. I couldn't see him hooked up to a machine and I don't think he could have seen himself that way either.
Anyway - woke up hearing his calm, quiet, stoic but sad voice in my head. Started crying. Then opened my e-mail and found these from a friend who's a gamekeeper on a large estate:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/shooter-d16_500.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/shooter-bambi_500.jpg

and this text regaling me with one of his stories about the people and life there:
Quote:
... the shepherd and the shepherdess Will and Annie- she is 30 stone or more- he weighs probably no more than 6 so so funny- she takes in my orphan deer- have seen them hanging in their kitchen in her bra- 1 fawn in 1 cup and a lamb in the other--or these legs poking out the bottom of the aga- little orphan fawn nesting there to stay warm.

Then he told me about the stag that wandered in having jumped an eight foot high fence and he hunted him down and found him with a tesco bag stuck on his antlers...shopping? (he asked).
It's hard to stay sad too long. There's still a lot in life to smile about.

URL: http://able2know.org/reply/topic-3742
I 'm pretty sure that your father 'd tell u
that he is more content now than he was b4 he molted off his human body.
(Thay r deciduous, u know.)
Some ex-deceased people have compared that body to a jail.

Those r BEAUTIFUL pictures, Rebecca.
Thanks for posting them.
How r the fawns getting along ?

David
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 10:25 am
Good - I can't wait to go see them. I didn't take those pictures - my friend who is the gamekeeper did.

Yeah - about the body and moulting- I pretty much agree. When my dad died, because my sister and mother are both nurses, they allowed us to bathe his body and I was struck by how weathered and worn he looked. He'd been a big, strong, athletic guy, but he was just so diminished, bruised where all the tubes had gone in his hands and arms - battle scarred. He'd put up a good fight- you know his war was over.
I know he had been getting more and more frustrated with not being able to move and do the things he'd always been able to do - so maybe moulting was for the best.
I just wish he could still talk to me.

But that's life - innit?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 05:14 pm
@aidan,
I understand that its like going to DISNEYWORLD, only BETTER.

David
aidan

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 10:35 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I wish he could tell me about it!

My mother always makes me smile, but she made me smile bigtime today
Her friend of 45 years, who is 90!! years old, is on Facebook!
She's friends with me and is always asking how my mother is doing.

So I told my mother, 'Mom, you should go on facebook so you could talk to Mrs. Heilig.'
She said, 'Taste bud? What's taste bud?'
So I said, 'Not taste bud - FACEBOOK!'
And she said, 'I don't have a facebook. I don't even know what a facebook is. What is a facebook?'
I can see I have my work cut out for me when I go visit her in the spring.
She does have my father's computer which is sitting there idle - I'll teach her on that.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 10:43 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I wish he could tell me about it!

My mother always makes me smile, but she made me smile bigtime today
Her friend of 45 years, who is 90!! years old, is on Facebook!
She's friends with me and is always asking how my mother is doing.

So I told my mother, 'Mom, you should go on facebook so you could talk to Mrs. Heilig.'
She said, 'Taste bud? What's taste bud?'
So I said, 'Not taste bud - FACEBOOK!'
And she said, 'I don't have a facebook. I don't even know what a facebook is. What is a facebook?'
I can see I have my work cut out for me when I go visit her in the spring.
She does have my father's computer which is sitting there idle - I'll teach her on that.
Yeah; u can put her on it.
Technically, I 'm on it, at the behest of the NRA,
but I don 't use it. I 'm not familiar with its use.

David
aidan

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 10:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I love looking at peoples' pictures.
I've also joined this landscape photography group and it's been wonderful. I get to look at stunning landscapes and meet other people who are interested in photography from all over the world.
I made a friend from Pakistan through that facebook group.
It's not hard to figure out David - if you can figure out this site - you can figure out that site.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:24 pm
@aidan,
Thank u, Rebecca
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 11:31 am

today is Truck Day...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 04:36 pm
a big fat incredibly firkin cold robin sitting outside my window...
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 04:45 pm
@Rockhead,
She's a little early for Spring.
Swimpy

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2011 10:32 am
@Butrflynet,
Maybe she never left-

More robins are staying north for the winter

If you have seen flocks of robins around the Quad-Cities this winter, you are not alone.

Lots of robins was a primary observation made by birdwatchers in December and earlier this month as they fanned out across the Quad-City region for the annual Christmas Bird Count.

The Christmas census of bird populations has been conducted nationally for 111 years under the auspices of the National Audubon Society. On designated days in December and January, volunteers count birds at feeders and in the field, taking note of numbers and species. Over time, the data reflect trends.

One of the trends Kelly McKay, a Hampton, Ill., field biologist who co-compiled the numbers, sees with this year's high population of robins is that the so-called semi-hardy species of birds are expanding their winter range farther north. These include robins, bluebirds, golden crowned kinglets, hermit thrushers and yellow rumped warblers.

While the bulk of those birds would have been in southern Illinois and points south during the winter 20 years ago, they are in the Quad-City region now, he said. McKay attributes that at least in part to climate change pushing warmer temperatures farther north.

In the winter, robins tend to flock together, so when they are found, they are in greater numbers than during the summer when they are in pairs and raising families. Occasionally, there were 50-60 in one location, McKay said.

"Twenty years ago, you hardly ever saw these birds during winter, let alone in multiples," he said.

Another trend McKay noted was a decrease in red-winged blackbirds and the common grackle, both birds that use marshes as night roosting sites. As marshes are filled for development, especially along the Rock River, the roosting sites disappear, he said.

Marshes in the Barstow, Ill., area have been fragmented into smaller units, which makes them less attractive to birds. One of the biggest areas remaining in that area has a "for sale" sign on it, he noted.

Overall, McKay was pleased with the total number of birds counted - about the same as previous years - as well as with the number of species, which was up a bit, partly because of the semi-hardies' increased numbers.

Steve Hager, an associate professor of biology at Augustana College in Rock Island and a co-compiler of the results, was especially happy with the diversity. He personally counted a peregrine falcon, trumpeter swan, cackling goose and northern goshawk, all birds that are fairly uncommon to see.

In photographing the peregrine falcon in Moline, Hager noted that the bird had a leg band with visible numbers. He consulted the website of the Midwest Peregrine Falcon Restoration Project and determined that the bird, named Blair, hatched in May at an electric power plant in Madison, Wis.

Given that Madison is 120 straight-line miles away and that female peregrines disperse an average of 245 miles, Blair may be using Moline as only a temporary resting/feeding spot before moving on to another location, he said.

In the mid-1900s, peregrine falcon populations were decimated by the use of the pesticide DDT, which caused egg shell thinning, and the birds once were considered endangered in both Iowa and Illinois. After a recovery effort that began in the early 1990s, the birds are listed now as "threatened" in Illinois and "of special concern" in Iowa.

The trumpeter swan, the largest bird native to North America, was hunted to the point of extinction at the beginning of the 20th century, but it has been reintroduced.

The trumpeter swan that Hager saw also was banded; he determined that the bird hatched in 2004 and that the banding was done in Long Grove, Iowa.

http://qctimes.com/news/local/article_ca36dab6-1ed1-11e0-8cf6-001cc4c03286.html
JPB

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2011 10:39 am
Robins made me smile today, too!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2011 11:05 am
@Swimpy,
Yeah, we've had a flock of unhappy-looking robins hanging around all winter.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2011 12:26 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0NIDVJWo0U&feature=player_embedded
JPB

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2011 12:52 pm
@lmur,
Shocked Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2011 12:56 pm
@lmur,
oh yeah!

Very Happy
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2011 01:00 pm
@lmur,
I could do that, do they permit wheel chairs?
0 Replies