What made you smile today?

Thomas

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:53 am
@Roberta,
Thanks for asking, Roberta! I'm doing so-so. On the one hand, I have a mean cold. On the other, it's wonderful to see the family and, within limits, some old stomping grounds.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 12:28 pm
@Thomas,
are you in Germany?
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 12:30 pm
Facebook predicted I would find romance in 2011. It's not really fair to say it made me smile... it actually made me laugh out loud. Mr. Green
BillW

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 10:05 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
It happens, relieves that throbbing blue vein. Me, got in 18 holes of golf today and found a new course that I will return to..........
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 09:44 am
@dyslexia,
COOOOOL!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 10:01 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Oops . . . should have read his post first . . .
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 04:34 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Yes, I'm visiting my folks in Germany these days. Happy new year, everyone!

Today, the grim realism of an old Suabian farmer made me smile. The local public radio had a feature about a new high-speed railway line, and interviewed one of the farmers whose farm the state had condemned to make room for the line. He said: "This is like having to give up your wife--when you get along with her, that is." I'm sure glad he clarified that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 09:42 pm
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/12/coen_brothers_mustaches.html
BillW

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 10:03 pm
@ehBeth,
http://www.guzer.com/pictures/craziest-moustache.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 10:07 pm
@BillW,
Shocked Very Happy
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 03:32 pm
We were playing a word game sort of like scrabble, but you could put letters on top of letters to make new words say, change the a in 'ram' to an i and make it rim
and one of the guys had put 'postmen' and someone changed the e to an a so the word became postman and then Nick, this wonderfully deadpan young man changed the o to an i so the word became 'pistman' and I asked, 'What's a pistman?'
And really seriously and hopeful- yet confidently -Nick answers, 'A man who is pissed in the pub'...that's a word...innit?
I laughed - and told him I didn't think it was, but I had to admit maybe it should be.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 05:32 pm
@BillW,
gross out!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:12 pm
I got in a partial round of golf today - 15 holes. This will always put a large smile on my face, but it was extra specially today. I got back from somewhere about 10 yards for short irons up to 15-20 yards on longer clubs. This is really special. Razz
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 08:19 pm
@BillW,
That's only when you're consistent. Rolling Eyes
BillW

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 08:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Had extremely excellent consistency today also. Have had for the last 6-8 weeks in fact. Just don't want it to stop......knock on wood (not Tiger)!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 03:09 pm
This is a mixture of smile and grimace in the anecdote -

I just got back from Smith's grocery store, my favorite of the ones I frequent, but the one I frequent least because of distance. For example, they have by far the best olive bar.. (Thomas when visiting has been there with Diane and me.)

but to the story: I was looking for my usual can of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo in the usual place and there was nothing like that in the expanse right in front of me.

As it happened, there was a guy stocking stuff and another guy who seemed might have been supervising him or maybe just happened into the aisle. May I help you, ma'am? Do you know where the chipotle in adobo are? Yes! We go past the middle Mexican/southwest aisle (much salsa on one side of that, packaged peppers of many sorts on the other) and he picked out first a jarred mole (no), second an adobo sauce (no) and finally I found it, chipotle peppers in adobo. He stood there, all friendly. I said I can hardly live without these, last week I made meatloaf with them. Meatloaf with them? I don't know how to cook, how did you do that?

So I told him, just saying simple ingredients casually and how you can add all sorts of stuff for different tasting meatloaf. I ended by saying I used the whole can and it turned out great. So he said he cook that tonight! I figure he is in a new live in situation and wanting to please the lady or whomever. (He's a cutie, around, mm, 22).

I got home and was smiling to myself about this when it occurred to me that he might not think to chop up the chile peppers that are in the sauce.

Thus the grimace.

0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 10:20 pm
Got lots of "home stuff" done.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 07:05 am
Woke up with a crystal-clear rendition of the Thompson Twins' "King for a Day" going through my head. That's a new one, hadn't thought about it since approximately 30 seconds after I last heard it, which must've been 1985. It's a silly fun song and I keep dancing.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:31 am
Gas. I'm regressing.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 02:04 pm
One of my favorite students Stephen, is a rather large, rotund west Indian man with a heart of gold and a deep, resonant voice and laugh. He's learning carpentry and I am responsible for teaching him the numeracy skills he needs to calculate measurements, cost jobs, comparison shop for supplies - etc., etc...so usually we work down in the carpentry workshop so he can do hands-on sort of stuff, but today there were all these people down there milling around and he can't work with distractions (that's why he can't be in a classroom with other people) so he asked me if we could go to the library to work.
I said sure. Just as we were walking out, this very short female (probably 4'10) guard walked in and he stopped dead and just stared at her- I wasn't sure why - she was very normal looking, just petite...anyway, we walked out and locked the fire door and then he whispered to me,
'Rebecca - is that lady a midget?' totally seriously - in his James Earl Jones-like voice.

I almost died laughing, and said, 'Yeah - that's the new employment diverity/ security strategy - midget prison guards.'