cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 07:52 pm
@Butrflynet,
Good un! Thanks for sharing.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 08:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
I checked his blog to see what he had to say about this caper of his. His post is just as funny as the video.

Quote:
By Steve Ziegler

The Great Gnocchi Massacre started with a simple and innocent idea. But like so many of my ideas, it ended in disaster.

Special thanks to these Twitter folks @AprilFin, @cmgurski, @bethschillaci, and @eatniks –you are great tweeters with insights on everyday life, social media, and food. But your encouragement in this endeavor almost got me killed.

Yesterday I learned that that “gnocchi” is Italian for “grenade”.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 10:41 pm
Possibly got my loveseat and recliner fixed today. Fingers crossed.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 05:53 am
Seeing Region on Larry King Live's last broadcast. Razz
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 06:42 am
Last night we went to a PF Chiangs for supper and , in the bustle and crunch getting to our seats, I dropped my wallet. Afetr eating <(my wife always pays the restaurant tabs cause she thinks Im a poor tippr), we went over to the Borders Store nearby in the same Mall. It was there that I reached for my wallet and found it missisng. I retraced all m ysteps through my car and back to Chiangs. Just as I entered Chiangs a guy came up from his seat and said "I recognized your hat " Heres your wallet, it was on the floor next to where you were sitting. "
I tried to give the guy some cash and he refused and wished me a Merry Christmas. I smiled at the fact that there are still some great people out here.

Also, a "homeless" hat is always an easy one to remember, especially with a brilliant green surf casting license on it.
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 07:06 am
@farmerman,
I'm glad you got your wallet back, farmer.
Good for the guy who made sure you got it back!
But was is this thing about the hat?
You were wearing one when you misplaced your wallet? Smile
farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 07:20 am
@msolga,
It was cold so I kept my "homeless hat" on. through dinner (HEy I never said I was cultured to British standards-Remember, we kicked the brits out so we COULD wear (or not) hats while eating). This knit hat that me wife knitted was of a bright hunter orange acrylic lined with a woolen inner and had a Chartreuse (Da-Glo)badge for Surf Casting in Delaware.

I wear it when we go Christmas shopping cause we always ;lose each other and something outrageously bright helps us find each other. Yes we carry our cells but in big stores like Target or Marshalls, the cells dont work well .
There, I figger thats about all you need to know without a court order.
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 07:39 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
(HEy I never said I was cultured to British standards-Remember, we kicked the brits out so we COULD wear (or not) hats while eating). This knit hat that me wife knitted was of a bright hunter orange acrylic lined with a woolen inner and had a Chartreuse (Da-Glo)badge for Surf Casting in Delaware.
... There, I figger thats about all you need to know without a court order.

Thank you for the detailed explanation about the hat, farmer.
I like the sound of it very much indeed!
I am mightily relieved it wasn't something like this that you were wearing.:
http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/FSA/FSA018/man-wearing-business_~x15299012.jpg
That would have required some serious image adjustment on my part! Wink Very Happy
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 12:22 pm
@farmerman,
Damn, aren't to sure but there is a city ordiance requiring an off switch required for that hat Wink friend on mine's online name is RainbowHed - he has a number of hats to reflect this including a very neat Chili or Peruvian number.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjNAutPw_AOIzN-sEoQvzd6aLPTe-MrlZEFN5IpVtnBaoMVhZUqw
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 12:27 pm
Update on yesterday smile - the loveseat fix we made worked just fine, hurrah. The recliner chair is at the shop and much more complicated but we hope it works. This would mean $800 worth of puchases from last year isn't wasted (we got items on sale that was $1200 on the floor - figure these may have been the causes for such steep discount price). Life is sure nice sometimes.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 04:39 pm
I got a birthday card from my sister and her family. Aside from the notes from her and her husband I got translations from my two nephews. The nearly 4 year old picked out a pink card with a fluffy white kitten wearing a tiara (this is SO not me). He dictated "I picked out this card because I know you like cats. I hope you have a nice birthday." The other nephew is a little more than 1.5 and is starting to talk. He dictates "Cat! Le-le-lellow pink! Pitty!"

Snort!
Swimpy

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 11:34 am
@littlek,
How cute! Happy Birthday, K.
BillW

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 04:02 pm
Loveseat still holding up, looks like chair can be fixed - know more tonight.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 06:35 pm
@Swimpy,
Thank you swimpy.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 08:13 pm
good golf day
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 08:15 am
What made smile today was an Op-Ed written in the London Times earlier this year by J.K. Rowling of Harry-Potter fame. Admittedly, the subject is dire, but... talk about pith! It's a pity the voters of Great Britain didn't listen to her.

Quote:
Yesterday’s Conservative manifesto makes it clear that the Tories aim for less governmental support for the needy, and more input from the “third sector”: charity. It also reiterates the flagship policy so proudly defended by David Cameron last weekend, that of “sticking up for marriage”. To this end, they promise a half-a-billion pound tax break for lower-income married couples, working out at £150 per annum.

I accept that my friends and I might be atypical. Maybe you know people who would legally bind themselves to another human being, for life, for an extra £150 a year? Perhaps you were contemplating leaving a loveless or abusive marriage, but underwent a change of heart on hearing about a possible £150 tax break? Anything is possible; but somehow, I doubt it. Even Mr Cameron seems to admit that he is offering nothing more than a token gesture when he tells us “it’s not the money, it’s the message”.

Nobody who has ever experienced the reality of poverty could say “it’s not the money, it’s the message”. When your flat has been broken into, and you cannot afford a locksmith, it is the money. When you are two pence short of a tin of baked beans, and your child is hungry, it is the money. When you find yourself contemplating shoplifting to get nappies, it is the money. If Mr Cameron’s only practical advice to women living in poverty, the sole carers of their children, is “get married, and we’ll give you £150”, he reveals himself to be completely ignorant of their true situation.

You can read the full article here.
Roberta

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 08:16 am
@Thomas,
What made me smile today? Seeing Thomas posting from Goimany. How you doin', kid?
farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 08:48 am
@Roberta,
Yesterday a friend and I went out with our wives "New YEars" fest shopping needs. We were sent out to buy cheese. We went to a cheese shop near GAP Pa and bought some various personal favs. I like Asiago, my friend and his wife like Monshego AND we all like Daffinois. We got finishged there and then drove over to the Town of Georgetown where an AMish grocery store is always doing gimmicks to stoke up their sales. Yesterday they had several 100 pound wheels of OHIO Swiss cheese (A very nutty rich flavored Ementhaler style).
The guy that owned the stor was allowing his customers to cut out a 1, 2 or 3 pound block and, IF THEY GOT THEIR GUESSED WEIGHT OF CHEESE CORRECT TO WITHIN 2 OZ of their desired weight, they got the cheese for free. I cut 3 chunks 1 pund, and 2 , 2 pound chunks. Neither my friend nor I guessed correctly but the experience was a lot of fun .

Now what do I do with all this Swiss Cheese?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:34 am
about 2 years ago I had new tires put on Lady Diane's car. Yesterday she drove to the market (about 1 mile) at the market she noticed she had a flat tire, she drove a few blocks to a service station that aired up the tire and drove home. She had driven to the market with the tire flat as there was rubber tire tread marks leaving our drive-way. anyway when she got home and told me I checked the tire ande it was holding air so I sent her to the place where I bought the tire (about 4 miles away) telling here they would fix it free. She went there and the told her the tire was complety shot from being driven on so replaced it with a brand new tire free. She had no paperwork/warranty, only her word that I had bought the tires 2 years earlier and yet, without question replaced the tire for free. I'm amazed.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:38 am
@dyslexia,
Same thing happened at the same place, Dys, the time I drove over my gardening cultivator.
0 Replies