Will You Watch the Debate?

au1929

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:33 am
Watched the debate and came away with the feeling of so what. Same old pap over and over again. Will not influence voters one way or the other. In any event who votes for vice president. As for being a heartbeat away from the presidency hell Cheney is a heartbeat away from the undertaker.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:40 am
cobalt wrote:
I thought they were both fairly even, but I did think that many of the "facts" from Cheney were standard administration yadda yadda as well as contradictory to Cheney's own statements of this last week highlighting Rumsfeld and Bremer embarrassments. THEN I read Kevin Drum's Political Animal blog and caught that Cheney had recommended folks check out factcheck.com.... What he meant was "fastcheck" but if you click on Factcheck.com - hooboy! This has got to be one of the best bloopers ever!

Yeah, he clearly meant factcheck.org, but that's hilarious.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:10 am
Turns out they had met before. Could that "first time we met" error be intentional, so people discuss it and it sheds additional light on Edwards attendance record? Disputing it only means more press. Pretty clever.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:17 am
Nah. Shows he's a lying ol' liar who will say anything to win.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:18 am
OMIGOD about factcheck.com!!!!!!!!!!!! I had just mentioned it on another thread (.com vs. .org), hadn't actually checked factcheck.com. That is soooooooo cool! :-D
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:34 am
Could some one tell me what is on this factcheck.com? I tried to check it out, but get an error message. Perhaps too many people are trying to look it up.

Oh my goodness bi-polar you are right! It did remind me of something and Wonderful Life comparison hit it on the nose. I just pictured George in Bailey's office discussing a job opportunity and George going off on him.

I also thought Cheney came across better. He sounded like experienced, like he knew what was really going on and straightforward. Edwards (whom I actually like better) came across as young, inexperienced and ideological. Cheney certainly sounded much more intelligent and straightforward than Bush.

Oh squinney I missed the final statements - I fell asleep.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:37 am
sozobe wrote:
Nah. Shows he's a lying ol' liar who will say anything to win.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Don't hold back now.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:38 am
Linkat! Happy to see you.

Nice summary. Did the debate nudge you in either direction?

When you get through to factcheck.com (NOT .org), you're greeted by a green banner proclaiming in large letters, "WHY WE MUST NOT RE-ELECT GEORGE BUSH". :-) Then a statement from George Soros about why.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:39 am
;-) Bill
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:36 am
BBB
I seem to have a different take on the Cheney-Edwards debate that other A2Kers. I thought they both cleaned each other's clocks several times. I don't think Cheney won the debate, it was more like barely a tie. I was pleased with Edward's performance as we had never seen him in a debate performance before.

I wish the Media would comment on what I noticed most of all. Cheney's debate job was to boost support for Bush and his image, but I thought it had the opposite effect. I thought Cheney's responses demonstrated even more clearly how inadequate Bush is in all respects and that Cheney is the real Bush brains. Cheney's articulation of details showed up Bush's flaws better than Kerry or Edwards could do. I'm amazed that Bush's campaign genius, Karl Rove, wouldn't realize this problem. I also note that the Media has not picked up on this reality.

I also find it interesting that on all of his stump speeches following the first debate, Bush is rebutting Kerry's charges from prepared comments written by others---after the debate. Bush can't think on his feet, can't speak except from text or memorized sound bites.

I was astonished to hear Cheney repeat several lies during the debate. The Media are able to show tapes of his previous statements re Iraq's connection to 9/11 as well as tapes showing several past meetings of Cheney and Edwards re his claim that he'd never met Edwards until he walked on the debate stage. Cheney brazenly lied several times, but the debate format didn't allow Edwards time to rebut all of them.

BBB
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 10:00 am
Sozobe - that is hilarious! Now did this website exist prior to the debate and it is just a coincidence? Or did some quick thinking individual hear Cheney's comment set up this website.

I think if anything this debate gave me a more favorable view of VP Cheney. I did like his straightforwardness. I think he was in the position of presidential candidate over Bush, I would have more confidence in the Republican Party as being re-nominated. As much as personally I like Edwards, I don't think he was an ideal choice for VP. Maybe after some more experience in the Senate. That being said I do think you need to focus more on who is the presidential candidate first and so far in that respect I would vote for Kerry over Bush as it stands right now. I am not 100% convinced, but if I were to vote today that is where I would vote. I do prefer Cheney to Edwards in the VP role, but the main focus is to vote for the president. This preference is strictly due to lack of experience and less knowledge of foreign affairs.

I agree with BBB. I did not really look at the debate from that respect as the VP supporting the presidential candidate's image. Cheney certainly came across as being extremely intelligent and knowledgeable. His comments did make Bush look much less intelligent and informed.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 10:05 am
Quote:
As for being a heartbeat away from the presidency hell Cheney is a heartbeat away from the undertaker.

Actually, it's Bush who's a hearbeat away from the Presidency.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 10:16 am
Thanks, Linkat! I was curious about that too. (Pre-existing website or new redirect.)

I'm happy to see that after the two debates you're leaning toward Kerry! Looking forward to your impressions after the next two, as well.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 10:17 am
pre-existing.

I read that last thurs.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 10:29 am
Cool.

Well, thank you Cheney! :-D
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:00 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:
As for being a heartbeat away from the presidency hell Cheney is a heartbeat away from the undertaker.

Actually, it's Bush who's a hearbeat away from the Presidency.

more like "bush is just a heart attack away from the presidency.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:02 pm
Hah!

It existed at georgesoros.com prior to today, but not until 30 mins. after the debate did factcheck.com redirect to georgesoros.com .

Nice move!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:04 pm
cheney did come across more forcefully, but that is meaningless if your statements are full of lies. (yep, as i said on another thread, i'm now happy to use the "L-word" with bush/cheney)

i think that it's pretty remarkable that, at worst, edwards held his own against someone who's big whoop is his "30+ years of experience".
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:04 pm
It's hard work to damage everything in a two hundred year old country in less than four years.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/itshardwork.jpg
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:09 pm
"It's hard work to damage everything in a two hundred year old country in less than four years."

In fact, it is damn near impossible because of the Constitution and its venerable checks and balances and term limits.

Which is why, in the long haul, the Republic continues to grow in freedom and prosperity thru the transients of various administrations.
0 Replies