Will You Watch the Debate?

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:31 pm
Cheney is terrible. But Edwards isn't much better. Unfortunately, due to Cheney's weak ticker, they had to sit at a table for the debate. And evertime Cheney rustles around, you can hear it on his microphone (fire the soundman).

Oooh. Cheney just opened the door again regarding dealing with terrorism; in that we were attacked, and we should act offensively rather than defensively.

Problem is (once again), Iraq didn't attack us. Edwards just pointed that out.

What's up with the rule of not being able to mention your own running mate in the debates?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:46 pm
Was "I broke the rules" <grin> charming and heart-winning or too boyish for a guy a heartbeat away from the presidency?

I couldn't tell.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:49 pm
That was the comment that made me think "bozo".
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:54 pm
Well the rule was stupid anyway.

gotta admit that he is cute when he smiles.

The whole thing was boring with stupid questions I thought.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:57 pm
Nothing short of a free for all would have changed any minds from this so-called boring, repeat all the old issues, debate.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:00 pm
Yeah, I don't see that having any effect at all. They shouldn't even put that in the paper tomorrow. Maybe they should just put the Yankees on the front page tomorrow instead. Smile
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:02 pm
sozobe wrote:
Was "I broke the rules" <grin> charming and heart-winning or too boyish for a guy a heartbeat away from the presidency?

I couldn't tell.

That one - too boyish. Like a cheeky schoolboy - not a good way to come across in a veep debate next to Cheney. I winced.

But a little while later, I dont remember a propos of what, he had a similar thing, breaking out in a grin, putting in a breather for us all so to say, and it did work.

But yeah, no, winced at least twice.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:03 pm
I think Cheney will be seen as the winner.

I myself think he won, although not by much. Edwards seemed like a freshman.

Cheney's remark about just meeting Edwards tonight will be seen as extremely damning.

This doesn't mean Edwards did badly...he did not. He made some good, straight ahead points that could not be argued with and Cheney didn't try.

So...Edwards not as good as Kerry. Cheney WAY better than bush. The gap between the abilities of the presidential and vice presidential candidates much narrower between Kerry and Edwards. The gap between Cheney, an accomplished and sharp politician whether you ike him or not, and bush, an idiotic talking head.....well a kentucky show horse couldn't jump it.

Example? Cheney's gracious response to Edwards' equally gracious remarks about his daughter. Never see that kind of graciousness out of a bush. 41 or 43.

I posted the exact same answer on a similar thread but here let me add that Edwards did get in some damn good punches. I think we will see the democrats trying to spin this debate the same way the repubs spun the Thursday debate, namely that the debate was won mostly on style. Cheney was smoother and more confident. I still think he sucks.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:06 pm
I didn't see a clear winner. I took it as a draw. I thought Edwards' final statement was more upbeat and hopefully there are more people out there than just me that are ready for some good news for a change.

Otherwise I think they both well.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:25 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I think Cheney will be seen as the winner.

I myself think he won, although not by much. Edwards seemed like a freshman.

Cheney's remark about just meeting Edwards tonight will be seen as extremely damning.

This doesn't mean Edwards did badly...he did not. He made some good, straight ahead points that could not be argued with and Cheney didn't try.

So...Edwards not as good as Kerry. Cheney WAY better than bush. The gap between the abilities of the presidential and vice presidential candidates much narrower between Kerry and Edwards. The gap between Cheney, an accomplished and sharp politician whether you ike him or not, and bush, an idiotic talking head.....well a kentucky show horse couldn't jump it.

Example? Cheney's gracious response to Edwards' equally gracious remarks about his daughter. Never see that kind of graciousness out of a bush. 41 or 43.

I posted the exact same answer on a similar thread but here let me add that Edwards did get in some damn good punches. I think we will see the democrats trying to spin this debate the same way the repubs spun the Thursday debate, namely that the debate was won mostly on style. Cheney was smoother and more confident. I still think he sucks.

Maybe I am guilty of spinning already, but I just don't see how you thought Cheney won. I thought he was almost asleep except for the uncomfortableness about his daughter.

I also think Edwards boyish grin will go over a lot better than you guys think. But I could be wrong.

I think that because they cannot successfully defend the Iraq mess that they might actually loose. At least I am hopeful tonight about it.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:30 pm
The debate reminded me of George Bailey meets whoever that nasty bamker was in "It's A Wonderful Life".

Cheney just seemed more self assured and confident and although it was only perception....perception is what sells. Style over substance.

That's why I was careful to say I thought he won only by a little bit, and by the way he didn't win with me. I was speaking of how it will be viewed by the general public IMO. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I must say although I can't stomach the man, he's worth 100 gwb's.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:37 pm
I think Cheney was probably more seasoned, especially with his own professional experience. Edwards trial lawyer tactics only worked to a point, but somewhere the element of statesman had to come out.

Cheney probably won this round on both style and substance. But we should probably also remember Quayle. And that team went on to win the White House.

Let's see what the spin offers us for tomorrow.

It will be up to Kerry to close the deal. No doubt about it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:40 pm
It was a boring debate with little substance; don't think it changed any minds on voting.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:40 pm
I agree with Bi-Polar (alas).

And the lesson from the last debate and from 2000 is that even a, say, 1,5 - 1 victory directly after the debate will translate into a 3 - 1 victory the day or two days after ... Bush benefited from that dynamic in 2000, Kerry last week, now Cheney perhaps?

But I dont think there'll be any significant swing in voting preferences ... the camps are clear, and this debate just reiterated them.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:41 pm
Having given the edge to cheney, who I can't stomach...please let me say on every thread regarding this debate I've posted on, that I will, should Edwards be perceived as the winner of this debate, happily eat crow and ask for second helpings...with a side order of my hat.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:42 pm
And let it be a cowboy hat! LOL
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:59 pm
I'd give the nod to Cheney, but not by much... Boyish smiles are not something I'm looking for in a leader, Soz. The old man, whom nobody likes, edged out the razor-sharp trial lawyer... and that is interesting. Why…because he clobbered Kerry mostly.
That "the first time I ever met you is when you walked on the stage tonight" stood him up, though... and it surprised me that he looked visibly shaken. I would have thought as a trial lawyer; he'd have a better poker face.

As to whether or not it matters... stand back everyone... I agree with c.i. Shocked It doesn't. I would think a VP candidate would really need to run away with it or fall face down to make a serious impact. Neither did.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 10:32 pm
I wasn't bored.

I see cheney as evil knievel, master of acerplumbagoness.

I saw edwards as a blinker. I agree with him on most everything, but saw him doing the damnable blinking.

It is hard for all these folks to gather and speak as if wisely.

The problem is, that it isn't necessarily the better appearing re media vision.....
that will make the wisest choice.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 11:14 pm
I saw this debate also, but not complete. It was relative interesting.

ossobuco wrote:

I saw edwards as a blinker. I agree with him on most everything, but saw him doing the damnable blinking.

That`s even his characteristics. Might be you can assure him, that he should stop this. ;-)
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 11:24 pm
I thought they were both fairly even, but I did think that many of the "facts" from Cheney were standard administration yadda yadda as well as contradictory to Cheney's own statements of this last week highlighting Rumsfeld and Bremer embarrassments. THEN I read Kevin Drum's Political Animal blog and caught that Cheney had recommended folks check out factcheck.com.... What he meant was "fastcheck" but if you click on Factcheck.com - hooboy! This has got to be one of the best bloopers ever!
0 Replies