Will You Watch the Debate?

squinney

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 11:28 am
Linkat - Feel free to write me in. I'll send you my platform November 10th. Very Happy

I will be watching for body language and eye movement more than listening, too. I have a pretty good handle on each candidates platform. The physical reactions will tell more than words, IMO.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 11:29 am
squinney wrote:
Linkat - Feel free to write me in. I'll send you my platform November 10th. Very Happy

I will be watching for body language and eye movement more than listening, too. I have a pretty good handle on each candidates platform. The physical reactions will tell more than words, IMO.

But will they determine how you vote?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 11:33 am
If anyone is familiar with NLP, (Neuro-Linguistic Programming), I'll also be taking note of "anchors."
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 11:35 am
larry434 wrote:
Einherjar wrote:
:
What time is the debate?

he asks, sounding like an idiot

9 pm EST

Alright I'll be watching then.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 02:31 pm
http://csmonitor.com/2004/0930/csmimg/cartoon.jpg
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 02:53 pm
au1929 wrote:
http://csmonitor.com/2004/0930/csmimg/cartoon.jpg

Exactly.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 07:12 pm
The debate is starting now! Watch it!

CSPAN is doing a split screen, showing both throughout, without any bias. Turn it there if you can.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 07:31 pm
I'm done watching it. Time: 8:31 PM.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 07:58 pm
Bush keeps saying Saddam refused to disarm.

Disarm of what?

What was there to disarm of?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 08:01 pm
He talks about pre-emption.

Pre-emption of what?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 08:14 pm
It look like Kerry invested heavily in smile coaches.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 08:17 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
Bush keeps saying Saddam refused to disarm.

Disarm of what?

What was there to disarm of?

Kerry just said Saddam needed to be disarmed. I guess he's flip-flopped again and does believe there were WMD.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 08:20 pm
Kerry is consistent.

Bush stammers.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 08:22 pm
It's like having to select between Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.
0 Replies

padmasambava

"There needs to be checks and balances in a democracy."

How many checks and balances does youse needs?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

I think Shrub is signaling in Morse code with his rapid eye blinks. The only question is to whom is he transmitting and what is he saying?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 08:23 pm
I was right! Kerry is turning North Korean.. wants to end bilateral talks with North Korea and end China's leverage. So much for building a coalition.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 08:23 pm
Oh I so hate watching debates.

I've actually tuned in to cspan.com this time, but how it stresses me out. I keep oscillating between grrring about Bush and the utter wrongness of his positions - and the haplessness of some of Kerry's answers.

I mean, he's actually doing better than I expected - Kerry, I mean. More agressive, less verbose, more direct. But still too abstract and too vain - if he mentions "I know exactly what I have to do ... I have a plan and if we do it like I'm suggesting in my plan", etc, one more time, I'm gonna scream.

Never mind tho. Kerry's giving some good answers, and giving some bad answers. Bush is being wrong. Either thing just has me looking on in tense anxiety. I think I'll just read the transcript and the reports tomorrow.

One thing strikes me tho, visually: Bush is a good talker, actually. The better talker of the two, I'd say. He also puts a little (just a little) more heart into his talking, that folksy thing that allows you a breather every once in a while - while Kerry is more insistent and thus ends up sounding a little grating eventually. But Bush is a bad listener (no surprise there). That probably doesnt come across on other stations as clearly, but on C-Span (thanks Bill!) you have the split-screen, so you're watching them as they listen as well, and whereas Kerry just kind of blends into the background when he's silent, Bush looks like a caged animal, annoyed, impatient.

I thought Kerry did a good job slamming into the Iraq issue ("Bush's plan consists of four words: more of the same) and in outing how Bush tries to equate Iraq and Osama. Also on North Korea, "this happened under this President's watch".

But on the whole underlying attitude on foreign policy, he's defending what I'm sure is a highly impopular stand. I agree with Kerry when it comes to preemptive attacks vs a multilateral approach. But "passing the global test" and all that? "We should've been working with the French, the English" - "in Iran, it was the English and the French who did all the work, we did nothing" - "we can do this through the African Union" - etc etc - absolutely, I agree, but it's actually gonna cost him votes, I'm afraid ... Lotta Joe Averages dont want to hear nothing about any "global test" the Americans are supposed to pass - like, who's askin'? We, pass a test, for whom?

Kerry did well on answering, without a beat, "nuclear proliferation" to the "whats the biggest danger right now" question. He did well on detailing the danger, too, bringing up the Middle Eastern terrorist and his suitcase with nuclear material. On highlighting how the main danger stems from the former Soviet Union, where so much nuclear material is lying around, and Bush has been neglecting it. But by then rephrasing the solution almost entirely in the context of "bilateral talks", while promising "to shut that programme down" when it comes to the US's own new nuclear bunker-busters - again, I agree, myself - but I think it wont hardly go down well in Missouri ...
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 08:25 pm
Bush has that 'deer caught in the headlights' look. Shocked

And...if he says one more time 'this is hard work'...I'm going to take a hammer to the TV screen! Rolling Eyes

Kerry's color looks good tonight. Glad to see he isn't on 'Orange Alert' anymore. Wink
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 08:26 pm
Just keep bringing in Sadaam Hussein, George. . .

Especially if the subject was Korea and China.
0 Replies