Will You Watch the Debate?

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:13 pm
Quote:
In fact, it is damn near impossible because of the Constitution and its venerable checks and balances and term limits.

Apparently, it's quite possible when the Republican party currenty controls ALL branches of government.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:37 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:
In fact, it is damn near impossible because of the Constitution and its venerable checks and balances and term limits.

Apparently, it's quite possible when the Republican party currenty controls ALL branches of government.

Thanks to the ineptness of the current Dem party. Will we ever have a viable Dem party again?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:45 pm
Larry434 wrote:
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:

Thanks to the ineptness of the current Dem party. Will we ever have a viable Dem party again?

next month perhaps
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:47 pm
Perhaps, bear.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:53 pm
Actually, it has a lot more to do with the neoconservative usurption of our Constitution, the Patriot Act, and using terrorism and fear to force legislation without as much as a single conference committee with the opposing party so that the average Joe doesn't get screwed.

Quote:
Will we ever have a viable Dem party again?

Do you honestly wish for a "viable" Dem party, whatever that means? You celebrate your Constitution of checks and balances while obviously realizing that there is only one party in full power, which prompted you to ask the last question quoted.

But then again, as you've started other more juvenile threads on able2know like this one, you perhaps aren't aware how self-denigrating you truly sound.

This isn't Abuzz. There is actually substance and meaningful debate going on here.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:05 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Actually, it has a lot more to do with the neoconservative usurption of our Constitution, the Patriot Act, and using terrorism and fear to force legislation without as much as a single conference committee with the opposing party so that the average Joe doesn't get screwed.

Quote:
Will we ever have a viable Dem party again?

Do you honestly wish for a "viable" Dem party, whatever that means?

Yep. I favor a vigorous 2 party system.

You celebrate your Constitution of checks and balances while obviously realizing that there is only one party in full power, which prompted you to ask the last question quoted.

Yup, the checks and balances are more effective if there are different parties in control of the legislative and the executive, IMO. Which is why I wish the Dems would get their act together and develop an agenda the voters will not reject...again.

But then again, as you've started other more juvenile threads on able2know like this one, you perhaps aren't aware how self-denigrating you truly sound.

That does not concern me near as much as it seems to concern you. In fact, considering the source it does not concern me at all.

0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:10 pm
Quote:
Yup, the checks and balances are more effective if there are different parties in control of the legislative and the executive, IMO. Which is why I wish the Dems would get their act together and develop an agenda the voters will not reject...again.

Um, you have to be voted in office first before developing an "agenda," Larry434. It's generally how the system works.

As you've done nothing but celebrated George Bush's idiocy these last four years, it's impossible to imagine that you would wish the Democrats to get some power back. My guess is November 2nd will be a referendum against Bush and his policies, and then we'll get that system back.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:19 pm
Speaking of Edwards experience. What experience did Bush have? A falling down drunk till he was forty. A failure in business and Governor of a state where the governor has little power. He was successful in one area. He never saw an execution he did not like.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:26 pm
bush's previous political experience;

January 17, 1995 - December 21, 2000: governor of texas

not very long. and on a local level.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:43 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:

Um, you have to be voted in office first before developing an "agenda," Larry434. It's generally how the system works.

I don't think so. A successful candidate will lay out his agenda in the campaign. Perhaps your way of thinking is why the Dems have lost every national and most statehouse elections in this decade.

As you've done nothing but celebrated George Bush's idiocy these last four years, it's impossible to imagine that you would wish the Democrats to get some power back.

You don't seem to have a great deal of trouble imagining other things, dookie.

Trust me...I want a viable 2 party system to keep the politicians on both sides of the aisle as honest as possible. That does not mean I will not support one side over the other.

My guess is November 2nd will be a referendum against Bush and his policies, and then we'll get that system back.

And if that is what you are counting on, no matter that Kerry has laid out no credible positive and progressive agenda, you are doomed to add to the serial losses of this decade.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:44 pm
a local level... That's rich!
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 03:42 pm
As always, Larry434, you are a walking contradiction.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 03:45 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
As always, Larry434, you are a walking contradiction.

Yup, just won't stay in that stereotypical box you want me in.

Perhaps if you remember I am an independent conservative, and not a Republican, it will help. :wink:
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 03:49 pm
I think someone did a count and John Kerry was mentioned 65 times verses 35 times Bush's name (or "the president")was mentioned. (CNN)

The repubilcans are doing everything they can to keep the focus off Bush.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:13 pm
Quote:
Yup, just won't stay in that stereotypical box you want me in.

Perhaps if you remember I am an independent conservative, and not a Republican, it will help.

That's not what I meant, Larry434. I am also a registered independent.

So much for stereotypes I guess...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:19 pm
sozobe wrote:
OMIGOD about factcheck.com!!!!!!!!!!!! I had just mentioned it on another thread (.com vs. .org), hadn't actually checked factcheck.com. That is soooooooo cool! :-D

I know we are way past this and on to other points, but... Didn't one used to be able to look up the owner information for domain names? I thought you could do so through "whois" but now all they are telling me is that I can put a bid in to buy it when it becomes available if I want to.

Isn't there a way to see who owns a domain? Would love to know who did that redirect! Bet they could get some donations of support! Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:35 pm
From what I understand, Soros did it. (Bought factcheck.com, redirected.) But that's just what a friend told a friend, not sure of anything.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:49 pm
sozobe wrote:
From what I understand, Soros did it. (Bought factcheck.com, redirected.) But that's just what a friend told a friend, not sure of anything.

Yeah, no, but someone already posted the text the Soros people put on their site to your other thread - they says it wasn't them ...

Here, this is what he says on georgesoros.com now:

Quote:
FactCheck.com Correction
We do not own the FactCheck.com domain name and are not responsible for it redirecting to GeorgeSoros.com. We are as surprised as anyone by this turn of events. We believe that Vice President Cheney intended to direct viewers to FactCheck.org
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:33 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
cheney did come across more forcefully, but that is meaningless if your statements are full of lies. (yep, as i said on another thread, i'm now happy to use the "L-word" with bush/cheney)

i think that it's pretty remarkable that, at worst, edwards held his own against someone who's big whoop is his "30+ years of experience".

Speaking of lies......remember when Edwards said "a millionaire sitting beside his pool pays a lower tax rate on his income than our troops fighting over in Iraq...."??

Well, maybe it wasn't a lie so much as proof that he knows nothing about the military, because OUR TROOPS SERVING IN THE COMBAT ZONE GET A COMBAT TAX EXCLUSION.

Neither Edwards nor Kerry should be allowed anywhere near our military.

Source
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 01:30 am
he doesn't have to. the vice president's job is to be the president of the congress. and to take over the presidential office either 1) on the order of the sitting president. or 2) in the event that the president is either incapacitated or dead. period.

from what i saw on the tuesday debate, cheney has skipped both of those caveats.

unfortunately, he is a liar. as is his l'il buddy, georgie boy.

cat's outta the bag.
0 Replies