When will TRUMP give up his candidacy?

snood

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 04:13 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:
Is it because you think all rich people think the same, and they all will lie cheat and steal to get richer?

Sorry Snood but you and your ilk are the ones who think all rich people are that way. I have nothing against people making money. I have a problem with hypocrites who talk about wanting to pay more but never actually do it. That's why it's called leading from the front. Hollywood liberals with all of their liberal rich friends could very well just pay more money, no one is stopping them, well maybe their accountants, but no law stops them. I would actually have more respect for those people if they put their money where their mouths were. Pay more taxes, don't take all the "loopholes" or claim donations to charity. Lead from the front as the saying implies.

They talk about changing the tax laws so that rich people pay more, and you say they're lying and phony and not leading from the front. But if they started talking about already paying more than required of their own accord, you'd believe them? If you think they're lying now, why would you believe them then?
Baldimo

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 11:23 am
@snood,
If they were doing it, they would provide proof of it to back their claims. While proclaiming their willingness to pay more they would be able to provide proof of it at the same time. They don't come forward with proof because they are happy to talk about paying more to seem like good people. In private they hope they are not called to task and have to pay more. These people are not putting their money where their mouths are.

See you and I believed in defending our country to the point where we did just that, we put our money where our mouths were and served our country. I'm asking the hollywood and entertainment liberals to do the very same thing, put their literal money where their mouths are. Pay more voluntary without the law telling them to do it. Lead from the front and prove what you say. Pay more and support our govt or shut up and stop calling for higher taxes.
snood

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 12:12 pm
@Baldimo,
I don't know why it's so impossible for you to believe there are rich liberals with enough integrity to practice what they preach.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 12:33 pm
@snood,
Quote:
I don't know why it's so impossible for you to believe there are rich liberals with enough integrity to practice what they preach.

Do you think any of them do practice what they preach and volunteer to pay more in income taxes? It seems to me none of them come forward as an example to shame other rich people into paying more, so why should I think they do so? The proof is in the pudding, no pudding no proof.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 12:38 pm
@Baldimo,
Buffet has said he's willing to pay more in taxes. He said his secretary pays more of her earnings than he.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 12:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Buffet has said he's willing to pay more in taxes.

Buffet has said he would pay more but he hasn't. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Quote:
He said his secretary pays more of her earnings than he.

That maybe true but you know as well as I do that they earn their money in different ways. Buffet doesn't earn a salary, all of his money is made via investments which you know has a lower tax on it then regular pay. If he meant what he said, he would get a regular salary from Berkshire Hathaway and pay what his secretary does in tax rates. He won't do this because he knows it will cost him more money per year in taxes.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 01:32 pm
@Baldimo,
You're missing the whole point; the rich pays less of their earnings than the middle class. The tax codes favor the rich. You'll never 'get it.'
Baldimo

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 01:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Don't be silly, the tax code is written different for how you make your money. Investment income is taxed differently than regular earned income. Investment income is income that has already been taxed and then is invested. So the tax rates on that already earned money is being taxed less a 2nd time. It favors anyone who invests money, not just the rich.

The point is wealthy liberals talk a good game but don't back it up with action.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 01:58 pm
@Baldimo,
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2011/sep/21/does-secretary-pay-higher-taxes-millionaire/

Do you understand facts? The tax codes favor the rich.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 02:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Did you even bother to read your own link? It laid out the very same thing I said. They earn their money in 2 different ways. One is investments and the other is a regular salary. It seems you fail to comprehend how money is earned and only want to look at who is paying a higher rate. It is apples and oranges. Different types of incomes so there is different types of tax rates applied.

Are you willing to pay more in taxes for the money you make on your investments?

Quote:
Our conclusion

As we said at the outset, we don't get into questions of opinions such as whether secretaries should pay a higher tax rate than billionaire bosses. But that situation is possible under the current tax code, if an employee is sufficiently well paid and if the boss's income comes from stock market investments or managing a hedge fund.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 02:24 pm
@Baldimo,
You wrote,
Quote:
The point is wealthy liberals talk a good game but don't back it up with action.

The wealthy don't write the tax codes. That they can influence congress has been a perpetual problem. What are you trying to say?

Why do you think the NRA has influence? Have you figured that out yet?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2012/12/19/a-story-of-the-nras-influence-in-2-charts/
Baldimo

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 02:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
What are you trying to say?

I'm saying that wealthy liberals like Buffet and the entertainment elite can pay more in taxes, they just have to do so. There is nothing in the law that prevents them from paying more and nothing in the laws that says they have to take write off's. They can lead from the front, as I mentioned before, and just volunteer to pay more.

What's difficult to understand about that concept? You want to pay more, no one is stopping you.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 04:12 pm
@Baldimo,
Let's reverse your argument, Baldimo.

If we follow your logic then those that are advocating paying less in taxes should lead by actually paying less. If they don't pay less than they should then according to your logic they would have no standing to make their argument.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 04:17 pm
@parados,
Faulty logic. There is nothing in the law to prevent someone from paying more in taxes, but it is against the law to pay less than what you owe.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 09:15 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:
Buffet has said he's willing to pay more in taxes.

Buffet has said he would pay more but he hasn't. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure why you think this is an indictment....

He's stated that he believes he should be required to pay more in taxes.

He hasn't been required to pay more in taxes.

Therefore, he hasn't paid more in taxes.

Whether something should happen is a separate discussion from whether it has happened.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 01:35 pm
@DrewDad,
It's called leading from the front Drewdad. If he wants this, then he should lead from example and just pay more. All he's doing and every other wealthy liberal is doing is paying lip service to an idea they know won't happen. It sounds good but they don't have the guts to actually do what they claim they want to do. They are using the laws as an excuse.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 01:48 pm
@DrewDad,
Not only that, but the IRS will refund any overpayment. It's happened to me several times when I did consulting work, and prepaid my taxes.
In those days, we were required to at least pay 90% of our tax liability. I don't know if those rules changed, because I've been retired since 1998.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 02:01 pm
@Baldimo,
Mr. Buffett leads by donating to charity - more than anyone else.

over 3 billion in 2012

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2013/02/11/the-americans-who-gave-away-the-most-money-in-2012/#277bf8904045

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2014/07/17/supersizing-warren-buffetts-2-8-billion-tax-deduction/#77f92f531722

Quote:
Warren Buffett is one of the world’s richest and most benevolent men. Buffett pledged to give away 99% of his fortune. In 2012, he gave $1.5 billion to the Gates Foundation. In the same year he pledged $3 billion of stock to his children’s foundations. Mr. Buffett has now donated more than $13 billion in Berkshire Hathaway shares to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and over $23 billion overall.

I'd rather see those 23 billion go to charity than to government.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 02:18 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

It's called leading from the front Drewdad. If he wants this, then he should lead from example and just pay more.

Well, you're welcome to your opinion, even if it doesn't really align with reality.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 02:22 pm
@ehBeth,
Good for him, now if he was serious about paying more in taxes, he wouldn't claim those donations, he would just make the donations and leave it at that.