When will TRUMP give up his candidacy?

Miller

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 01:07 pm
@Foofie,
What if no one wins? Think of the mess for the Supreme Court.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 01:55 pm
@engineer,
Trump's message is fear and hate. It's about bigotry and buildings walls. The democrats message is "America is already great," and everybody is welcome and contributes to this country.
Baldimo

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 02:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
What's wrong with building a wall and making it easier to keep out the illegal immigrants and forcing them to immigrate properly? I also hear fear and hate coming from the left...
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 02:09 pm
@Baldimo,
For one thing, Trump's wall is http://www.newsweek.com/trump-wall-impractical-impolitic-impossible-459802 impractical, impolitic, and impossible.

It's also based on bigotry and xenophobia.
Baldimo

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 02:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Wow, that was a lot of rhetoric and no facts against the wall. Anything against illegal immigration is considered impractical, impolitic and impossible by you guys on the left. Yet Mexico has a border fence/wall on their southern border to keep out illegal immigrants. Is their fence/wall bigoted and xenophobic?
DrewDad

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 02:38 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Wow, that was a lot of rhetoric and no facts against the wall. Anything against illegal immigration is considered impractical, impolitic and impossible by you guys on the left. Yet Mexico has a border fence/wall on their southern border to keep out illegal immigrants. Is their fence/wall bigoted and xenophobic?

Um, what Mexico/Guatemala border/fence is that?

http://www.snopes.com/mexico-guatemala-border/

Quote:
Perhaps the reason the creators of such posts have difficulty locating genuine photographs of the Mexico-Guatemala border wall is because no such wall yet exists:

Quote:
Mexico’s southern border with Guatemala is notoriously porous. Unlike the U.S.-Mexico border, which is sewed up with a massive fence and guarded by armed border agents, drones, and cameras, Mexico’s southern border is almost imperceptible.

Residents on both sides of the border circumvent the official border crossing by paying a few pesos to get pushed across the slowly flowing Suchiate River on makeshift inner-tube rafts.

Baldimo

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 02:46 pm
@DrewDad,
If there was no wall or fence why do they need to cross at the river? Seems they could walk a mike down the road and cross there if there is no fence or wall.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 02:46 pm
@DrewDad,
Also, the cost of Trump's wall:
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/09/this-is-what-trumps-border-wall-could-cost-us.html
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 02:52 pm
@snood,
I actually wouldn't be surprised if he did just that.

However, I don't think he's going to lose.

And I'm not the only one.

Last time I checked, Nate Silver, (who is pretty good at this stuff) gave him a greater chance of winning than Clinton. Now, I'm pretty sure he's not ready to predict a Trump victory, nor should he. It's still way too early.

There was some professor or group who, during the primaries, predicted Trump winning by virtue of an algorithm that has only been wrong once (even going back to elections over a hundred years ago - I believe the one race the algorithm got wrong was well over 50 years ago). Unfortunately, I can't find the report, but maybe someone will recognize the one I am referring to. I found it depressing at the time because there was still a chance one of the other GOP candidates might win the nomination. It's still depressing but no more so than a prediction that Clinton will win. This whole election is depressing.

We'll have to see what Clinton's "bounce" is after the convention. It will probably be enough to bring it back to a statistical tie, but if it doesn't...look out Clintonistas!

Here are the two primary reasons I think Trump will win:

Prior to the GOP convention the polls reflected the responses of secret Trump supporters. Why people feel that they can't be honest with pollsters is beyond me, but it's been shown, time and time again that they do. I still think there is a sizable number of voters out there who won't honestly tell posters that they intend to vote for Trump.

The Wikileaks revelations are still to come, and at the very least will only reinforce what a liar HRC is and quite possibly provide scathing evidence of her corruption relative to the Clinton Foundation.

Now if anyone can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, it's Trump. God knows what he will say before the election.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 02:53 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:

Fact Check Fauxtography Politics
Border Disorder
A photograph purportedly showing a border wall between Mexico and Guatemala actually pictures a portion of the Israeli West Bank barrier.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 02:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
$25 billion seems like a small amount to pay to seal the border and force immigrants to cross into the US legally and be legal immigrants instead of illegal immigrants. I only ask that those who want to come to the US do it the proper way and not bypass our laws simply because they are inconvenient or they don't think they apply to them.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 03:02 pm
@Baldimo,
Why don't you start a collection for that $25 billion. As a taxpayer, I'm not interested in building your wall.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 03:06 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

The only reason there were no conservative actors (unless you count the likes of Scott Baio) and comedians is because none wanted to come support Trump.

You still don't get it.

Trump's appeal among those who support him is enhanced by the absence of the GOP Establishment at the convention.

The threat to his campaign that is represented by his riff with the GOP Establishment has absolutely nothing to do with endorsements. Do you think that hard-core Berners were impressed by the Clinton endorsements of Obama, Biden and last and least, her husband Bill?

The threat comes from the fact that he may not be able to avail himself of the local party organizations when it comes to the nitty gritty of getting the vote out. I seriously doubt he and his campaign staff haven't recognized this threat. They're not going to wake up on the day after the election and honestly declare that they are dumbfounded that Kasich didn't support them.

I reckon they feel confident that the realities of power politics will win out. People like Cruz and Kasich are counting on Trump losing. If he wins, they are in a lot of political trouble. It's not as clear that their "henchmen" (for lack of a better term) will be willing to bet their futures on Trump losing. Kasich can go back to FOX. Cruz can go to CNN, but the underlings have no such options. They need to please Power. That's the reality of politics in both parties. The lower levels are hedging their bets all of the time...it's what they do.

I also reckon that they have some alternative strategy which conventional wisdom will say is crazy, but Trump did win the nomination and without following the old rules.

You consistently display a lack of appreciation for the reality of the politics of power, because you are so closely wed to one ideological side.

You see what you want to see.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 03:07 pm
@engineer,
And I'm sure you appreciated that message just the same when it was mouthed by Ronald Reagan.
Baldimo

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 03:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Guess what, there are a few things I don't want my tax money spent on either, but I don't really get that choice do I? Neither will you. How well do you think the over 160 social welfare programs, between state and federal govt's, would fair if people got to pick and choose what their tax money was spent on.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 04:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Why don't you start a collection for that $25 billion. As a taxpayer, I'm not interested in building your wall.

There is not going to be a wall. Once they get into the cost and logistics, seriously, it will be stalled until folks quit asking for it.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 04:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I did. Voted for the him in my first presidential election.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 04:55 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Guess what, there are a few things I don't want my tax money spent on either, but I don't really get that choice do I?

Show me any spending that's equivalent to a wall that will cost tens of billions of dollars.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 05:00 pm
@engineer,
Good for you. When did you lose your mind? Smile
RABEL222

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 06:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
All you know is bullshyt strawmen posts.