Can the Soul die?

BroRando

Sun 19 Jun, 2016 06:57 pm
@farmerman,
True, evolution is a theory, but schools teach it as a proven fact. No data or research to back it up. No more prayer in public schools? What's wrong with that picture?
cicerone imposter

Sun 19 Jun, 2016 06:57 pm
@BroRando,
Soul equals sole. They both have holes after 'wearing' them for a short time.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 19 Jun, 2016 06:59 pm
@BroRando,
What theory of evolution lack data or research?
BTW, may I ask which school you attended? It might be a clue.
Here's an intro to Darwin's theory. Please provide objective evidence that his theory is bunk.
Quote:
The theory of evolution by natural selection, first formulated in Darwin's book "On the Origin of Species" in 1859, is the process by which organisms change over time as a result of changes in heritable physical or behavioral traits. Changes that allow an organism to better adapt to its environment will help it survive and have more offspring.

Evolution by natural selection is one of the best substantiated theories in the history of science, supported by evidence from a wide variety of scientific disciplines, including paleontology, geology, genetics and developmental biology.
BroRando

Sun 19 Jun, 2016 07:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Let me remind you. Darwin's theory is just that, 'a theory'. Very Happy
farmerman

Sun 19 Jun, 2016 07:44 pm
@BroRando,
Quote:
No data or research to back it up.
I always wondered what research scientists should be doing instead of all that fossil and DNA stuff?
farmerman

Sun 19 Jun, 2016 07:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
this Cicerone guy says that there is evidence and he presnts a site that seems to be based upon science. Im so confused.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 19 Jun, 2016 08:35 pm
@BroRando,
Another god botherer who doesn't know what theory means in science.
0 Replies

BroRando

Sun 19 Jun, 2016 08:48 pm
@farmerman,
"Your eyes even saw me as an embryo; All its parts were written in your book Regarding the days when they were formed, Before any of them existed."(Psalms 139:16) Bible talked about DNA thousands of years before scientists even know about it.
farmerman

Sun 19 Jun, 2016 08:57 pm
@BroRando,
actually it doesnt say "embryo" now does it?

How does one get DNA from those lines?
It could also mean ghosts, no?

I think we are forcing a phrase to mean something we WANT it to mean. no?
BroRando

Sun 19 Jun, 2016 09:30 pm
@farmerman,
You don't know that DNA is a written code? Maybe I expected more from you farmer than I should have? Should I lower my standards ?

What is an embryo? Was he hatched?

Strong's Concordance
nephesh: a soul, living being, life, self, person, desire, passion, appetite, emotion
Original Word: נָ֫פֶשׁ
Part of Speech: Noun Feminine
Transliteration: nephesh
Phonetic Spelling: (neh'-fesh)
Short Definition: soul

Are you going to start preaching religious dogma that the soul never dies? When more and more people know that is a religious lie? Just curious. A soul before it is complete is an embryo and the cells begin dividing.
Leadfoot

Mon 20 Jun, 2016 11:55 am
@BroRando,
I agree that the scripture does point to DNA (while lacking the vocabulary in that day) but I suspect that Farmerman does know a fair bit about DNA but I too would like to know what translation of the bible you got the word 'embryo' from.

Such updates of the scripture always makes me suspicious.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 20 Jun, 2016 12:13 pm
@farmerman,
People of religion have a tendency to translate things not intended in the bible. They use all kinds of rationalizations to make the bible more palatable, because they refuse to accept the direct errors, omissions, and contradictions; they ignore them.
They grew up with their religion believing in the story of salvation. It's impossible to admit later in life that their life long belief is a fraud.
All manners of gods have been created by man, because it was difficult to believe our short span on this planet is all there is.
Leadfoot

Mon 20 Jun, 2016 01:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
it was difficult to believe our short span on this planet is all there is.
I'm just glad it only lasts as long as a normal human lifespan. Much more than that and I'd be terminally bored. If you don't get it by that time it's hopeless anyway.

neologist

Mon 20 Jun, 2016 11:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
. . . All manners of gods have been created by man, because it was difficult to believe our short span on this planet is all there is.
You've hit upon a likely cause for the irrational belief that the soul survives death. A belief that has no bearing on whether or not God exists.

I'm in Bakersfield, tonight. Carole and I had to rent a UHaul to get to So. Cal and had to stick with I-5 route. I'll have to put off the coffee for a few months. But now that we are removed from most of the grandkids, we will have many excuses for west coast travel.

Hope you are well, CI.
neologist

Mon 20 Jun, 2016 11:31 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
. . . I always wondered what research scientists should be doing instead of all that fossil and DNA stuff?
Collecting valuable anecdotal evidence, of course.
0 Replies

neologist

Tue 21 Jun, 2016 02:55 am
@Leadfoot,
CI wrote:
it was difficult to believe our short span on this planet is all there is.
Leadfoot wrote:
I'm just glad it only lasts as long as a normal human lifespan. Much more than that and I'd be terminally bored. If you don't get it by that time it's hopeless anyway.
Are you saying you just are not creative?
Leadfoot

Tue 21 Jun, 2016 08:11 am
@neologist,
Quote:

Leadfoot wrote:
"I'm just glad it only lasts as long as a normal human lifespan. Much more than that and I'd be terminally bored. If you don't get it by that time it's hopeless anyway."

Are you saying you just are not creative?
I'm saying that creativity is stifled here. Living in this society is like being in a straight jacket. Everything tends to push you into the standard box. If you doubt that, try stepping outside of it. The funny part about JW to me is that they see heaven as being in that box forever. Is it the security of the box they crave?

What makes it even worse is seeing what could be. Thank God this place is only temporary.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Tue 21 Jun, 2016 10:53 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

You've hit upon a likely cause for the irrational belief that the soul survives death. A belief that has no bearing on whether or not God exists.

According to your dogma, it will survive if you're a Jehovah's Witness, though.

Aside from that, the belief in an immortal soul does have a bearing on whether or not a God exists since, for most theologies, his existence is predicated on him being an immortal being.
Freddie2

Thu 23 Jun, 2016 12:29 pm
@InfraBlue,
I like how the JW's use the Bible to back their beliefs. Fine people. Immortal Soul is not in the Bible and I applaud them for that.
InfraBlue

Thu 23 Jun, 2016 12:38 pm
@Freddie2,
According to the JW's, though, the soul is immortal if one is a JW.