Can the Soul die?

farmerman

Tue 31 May, 2016 04:01 pm
@BroRando,
Religion " was written by a bunch of self -anointed folk story tellers. Folks who believe that all this testament is divinely inspired want to read my "OOzes of Holiness from the Giant Head".
Now thats a religion.
Remember"its not the gods that make demands,its the priests"

BroRando

Tue 31 May, 2016 05:18 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks for your comment Farmer. Many people are leaving religion today and becoming atheist. Religion has done more harm than good because hyprocisy.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 01:53 am
@BroRando,
You're welcome my friend, I enjoy a good well meant scriptural discussion

Quote:
"death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.” (Rev 20:13 KJV)

"Death" or it's Greek counterpart "qanatoj" is often used as a figurative noun, used most commonly to refer to the state of the dead, while "Hell" in this instance is rendered from the Greek word Hades. which was the Greek counterpart for She'ol. She'ol/Hades is a word referred to as the resting place of the righteous and the wicked, spoken of throughout the Hebrew and Greek scriptures as the pit, the common grave of mankind.
Daniel 12:2 is a good Hebrew Counterpart to your Revelations quote
Quote:
And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Isaiah 26:19 is also a good cross reference
Quote:
Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead.

By my understanding, The dust from which man came and that which he returns to is from where he is raised on the last day, whence he is judged and rewarded according to his deeds (John 5:28,29)

BroRando

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 04:21 am
@Smileyrius,
Nice scriptures. So is the Day a 24 hour period or a figurative amount of time that can be explained in the Bible?

Thank you.
Leadfoot

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 04:44 am
@BroRando,
Quote:
death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works." (Rev 20:13 kjv) They are Judged by their WORKS.
Yes, I see that. But what are the various judgements in your view? I think the bible is not ambiguous on this matter. It says very clearly that there is a second death and from it there is no return. I can't claim to know the details but logically, in that death your soul is either taken from you or destroyed. In either case, 'you' will no longer exist.

This is of course not the everlasting torture that some try to read into it although this death IS forever. In this sense, the atheists are right. They don't accept that there is any other alternative.

What I'm trying to understand is what you think the various judgements given for your works are.
Smileyrius

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 05:45 am
@InfraBlue,
I will always believe that the bible is the worlds greatest Rorschach test, it amplifies the heart of its reader (It has much the same effect as alcohol). Every man that reads it will get some or all of it wrong, but how someone treats and responds to what they read is a strong indicator for what is in the heart. I do not eliminate myself from that assessment, I Expect that my understanding will be flawed to some or perhaps a complete extent, but I hope that the effort I have put into understanding and applying what I read will be enough to be considered useful for something beyond judgment day, whoever it is doing the assessing and whatever the reality is beyond that. If you see inconsistencies where I see cohesion, perhaps you are right, and you can see what I cannot, hands up here my friend, I'm guessing.

Whether I am a soul, or I have a soul, I personally think it matters not for the purposes of it's own consideration (although it may complicate certain other principles and consideration), but it is useful to try to understand what is in the bible, so we use our best guesses to try to pass a single thread through all of what we read. If there is a message in there that I mistakenly taken the wrong way, I hope by the end of my days to have some kind of understanding of what it is.

I know for my part intend to keep on guessing.
Smileyrius

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 05:47 am
@BroRando,
You have hit on one of my old favourite subjects, so I'll go back and quote one of my old threads, the Hebrew word for "day" is "Yom" and Interestingly...

a long time ago I wrote:
In Genesis 1:5 Yom is referred to as a period of light, (12ish hours?)
It appears all six Yoms were referred to as a single yom in Genesis 2:4. (a week?)
In Genesis 4:3. Cains crops grew in a single Yom (a few months?)
In Genesis 43:9 Moses declares that he shall bare the blame for Yom (eternity?)

The word Yom actually has several meanings in Hebrew and not all meanings were always used literally. If you wish to use the word literally you need to overcome the suggestion of evenings and mornings before the luminaries were put in place.

So while this Yom of judgment could be a 24 hour period, it could be just as easily rendered a period or time of judgment

BroRando

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:48 am
@Smileyrius,
I apreciate a student of the Bible. Let's study that subject. A day is a period of time. It can many things. We on the same page here? "Age" is also a period of time but it is often used in prolonged periods. Reading your answers.
BroRando

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 09:54 am
@Leadfoot,
What a fine answer. Here's one. “Hallelujah! The smoke from her goes up forever and ever.” (Rev 19:3) What does this mean in your research of the Bible?

Leadfoot

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 10:15 am
@BroRando,
Quote:
What a fine answer. Here's one. “Hallelujah! The smoke from her goes up forever and ever.” (Rev 19:3) What does this mean in your research of the Bible?
Who 'She' is I am not sure but I think she represents the deceiver who is responsible for fooling many about reality and leading the persecution of those who follow God.

I had a long conversation with a Muslim about that who claimed that the skin, eyes and organs of those who God condemned would be replaced over and over again so that their torment would last forever. That way that verse would be literally true. Eventually I gave up and asked, 'how much smoke do you suppose a spirit makes when thrown into a lake of fire?'

I take it as symbolism, that once they are reduced to 'smoke' they never could return to life as a living spirit. They were gone forever.
BroRando

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 10:45 am
@Leadfoot,
You are a fine bible Student! The smoke that goes up forever and is symbolism for everlasting destruction, lake of fire, Gehenna. "she" was a mystery revealed to God's People, that are now being collected from her. "she had in her hand a golden cup that was full of disgusting things and the unclean things of her sexual immorality. On her forehead was written a name, a mystery: “Babylon the Great, the mother of the prostitutes and of the disgusting things of the earth.”

Satan's Empire of False Religion. Are you gaining understanding of this?
BroRando

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 10:58 am
@Leadfoot,
(Rev 17:5) Here's a detailed explanation. Enjoy! Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 11:47 am
@BroRando,
Quote:
Satan's Empire of False Religion. Are you gaining understanding of this?
Hadn't thought of that but that would make sense. Organized religion has probably deceived more people than any other force.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:48 pm
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:

...it is useful to try to understand what is in the bible, so we use our best guesses to try to pass a single thread through all of what we read.

Why "must" we try to pass a single thread through all of what we read, though?
Leadfoot

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 01:42 pm
Why must physicists try to arrive at the 'Grand Unification Theory' or put so much effort to unite Quantum Mechanics with Classical Physics.
InfraBlue

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 02:52 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Why must physicists try to arrive at the 'Grand Unification Theory' or put so much effort to unite Quantum Mechanics with Classical Physics.

I suspect their reasons are quite different from Smileyrius'.
Leadfoot

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 03:08 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
I doubt it. Smiley wants to make sense of it all just like everybody else.
InfraBlue

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 03:40 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
I doubt it. Smiley wants to make sense of it all just like everybody else.

Sure, in general terms. That doesn't explain why he's chosen the Bible in particular to state that one must pass a single thread through. He expresses doubt about his conviction that it's possible. Physicist aren't anywhere near unifying their theories, let alone convinced of it.
Leadfoot

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 03:56 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
That doesn't explain why he's chosen the Bible in particular to state that one must pass a single thread through.
If you think there is a God and that he probably had a hand in its' contents, why would you not choose the bible as something vital to understand in entirety or at least the over-all picture? What could possibly be more important than that? Quantum Mechanics is reduced to an interesting crossword puzzle in comparison. If the bible is right, all that order of physics will be gone in the big picture.
InfraBlue

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 11:04 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
That doesn't explain why he's chosen the Bible in particular to state that one must pass a single thread through.
If you think there is a God and that he probably had a hand in its' contents, why would you not choose the bible as something vital to understand in entirety or at least the over-all picture? What could possibly be more important than that? Quantum Mechanics is reduced to an interesting crossword puzzle in comparison. If the bible is right, all that order of physics will be gone in the big picture.

One thing is believing that God "had a hand in its contents." Another thing is making the assertion that one must pass a single thread through it.