Rising fascism in the US

old europe

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 06:24 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
I said "in the way they use it"

So when Milo wrote "An Establishment Conservative’s Guide To The Alt-Right" for Breitbart, he wasn't using the term "alt-right" in they way Breitbart uses the term "alt-right"?

That's pretty weak sauce, layman.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 06:27 am
Milo:
Quote:
The alternative right, more commonly known as the alt-right, is an amorphous movement. Some — mostly Establishment types — insist it’s little more than a vehicle for the worst dregs of human society: anti-Semites, white supremacists, and other members of the Stormfront set. They’re wrong.

.Nice try, cheese-eater. That's just one of many denials of the equation you're trying to peddle to chumps, and it's taken from the very article you purport to be relying on. Learn to read, fool.
old europe

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 06:31 am
@layman,
Hey layman, simple question for you: when Milo wrote, in the Breitbart article linked by you

Milo Yiannopoulos, in a Breitbart article wrote:
The media empire of the modern-day alternative right coalesced around Richard Spencer during his editorship of Taki’s Magazine. In 2010, Spencer founded AlternativeRight.com, which would become a center of alt-right thought.

which alt-right was he talking about? Was he talking about Richard Spencer's alt-right?
layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 06:35 am
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Hey layman, simple question for you: when Milo wrote, in the Breitbart article linked by you

Milo Yiannopoulos, in a Breitbart article wrote:
The media empire of the modern-day alternative right coalesced around Richard Spencer during his editorship of Taki’s Magazine. In 2010, Spencer founded AlternativeRight.com, which would become a center of alt-right thought.

which alt-right was he talking about? Was he talking about Richard Spencer's alt-right?

Of course he was talking about Spencer in that sentence, fool. Who but an illiterate would ever claim otherwise?
old europe

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 06:39 am
@layman,
And in that chapter about the intellectuals of the alt-right movement, in that specific sentence where Milo talks about Spencer, was he talking about a different alt-right than in the rest of the article? Is that what you're saying?
layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 06:40 am
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

And in that chapter about the intellectuals of the alt-right movement, in that specific sentence where Milo talks about Spencer, was he talking about a different alt-right than in the rest of the article? Is that what you're saying?

Read the article, fool.
layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 06:44 am
@layman,
As I said, way, way back:

layman wrote:

I am not going to spend much time "correcting" your repetitious slanders, Yurp. You have no intellectual integrity at all. I never said that "Richard Spencer's AlternativeRight.com could possibly be accused of racism," or anything close to it.

Spencer calls himself alt.right, as I acknowledged, that's all. But that's not a group that Bannon, or anyone at Brietbart, ever suggested exemplified the term "alt.right" in the way they use it

Try reading Milo's article: http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/03/29/an-establishment-conservatives-guide-to-the-alt-right/

I give you that link, knowing, in advance, for virtually certain, that you will try to selectively quote from it to give a blatantly false impression of it's overall contents (it is rather long).

Have at it, liar. I give the link primarily so that anyone else, who actually cares to know the truth, can see it for themselves.

Keep preaching to the choir, fool. I'm not going to waste time pointing out misrepresentations that anybody who reads the article can see for themselves.
0 Replies

old europe

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 06:46 am
@layman,
Why the non-answer, layman?

In the article you've linked, Milo is explaining the alt-right, and he's listing the intellectuals of the alt-right movement. He's explicitly calling Spencer the founder of a center of alt-right thought.

Which is weird, given that you've claimed that nobody at Breitbart ever suggested that Spencer exemplified the term "alt-right" in the way Breitbart uses the term.

Did you not understand the article, layman?
0 Replies

layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 06:54 am
The term alt.right was used long before Spencer came along and co-opted it, and others have since "taken it away from him too."

Quote:
The origins of the alternative right can be found in thinkers as diverse as Oswald Spengler, H.L Mencken, Julius Evola, Sam Francis, and the paleoconservative movement that rallied around the presidential campaigns of Pat Buchanan. The French New Right also serve as a source of inspiration for many leaders of the alt-right.

I suppose Mencken was a skinhead too, eh? If not, surely Pat Buchanan.

Quote:
Isolationists, pro-Russians and ex-Ron Paul supporters frustrated with continued neoconservative domination of the Republican party were also drawn to the alt-right, who are almost as likely as the anti-war left to object to overseas entanglements

Ron Paul is skinhead, too, no doubt.

Anyone who cares to know what Milo said should read the article, not listen to Yurp, the sophist.
Lash

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 07:10 am
@old europe,
Thank you for the actual words in context. It very clearly proves that Yiannopolous kid's words have been intentionally taken out of context and used to censure the opinions of a substantial group of people whose views deserve to be heard.

I suspected as much.
layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 07:10 am
Quote:
Following Hillary Clinton’s August 25th speech on the “Alt-Right,” all sides of the political spectrum have asked questions about what exactly the Alt-Right is. With numerous guides appearing online in the past few months and infighting between members of the Alt-Right sub-culture, an analysis of what is going on appears to be necessary. I do not intend this post to be another “guide to the Alt-Right;”...

what’s interesting is that all these people claim that they are the true Alt-Right, some more overtly than others, while all those who are more or less extreme are simply co-opting the movement. The more extreme members, Anglin and The Right Stuff, for example have, respectively, attacked less extreme members such as RamZPaul and Colin Liddell as well as Milo Yiannopoulos and all Jews in the Alt-Right while Liddell and others have fired back accusing Anglin of being hired opposition...

Ultimately, I see Alt-Right in the same light that Ray Brassier saw the Speculative Realist movement in 2011: “[a movement that] exists only in the imaginations of a group of bloggers” with no unified position. It seems to me that, if anything, the Alt-Right is a blanket term applied to all non-mainstream conservatives of all stripes that serves more as a negation than a positive claim. In other words, if anything, the Alt-Right brings people together based on what they mutually dislike, not a shared set of ideas...

If the Left really wanted to engage the Alt-Right, it would have to, at the very least, engage Anglin’s absurd Hitler-fetish, Spencer and Taylor’s identitarianism, Yiannopoulos’ anti-political correctness, and Forney’s anti-feminism, to name a few positions. Rather than doing the intellectual leg work needed to attack the Alt-Right, however, the Left appears to be content at reaching for straws while the Alt-Right successfully isolated key tenets of mainstream Leftist thought (e.g. multiculturalism, democracy, feminism, etc.) and attacked them from all angles.

https://www.righton.net/2016/10/26/will-the-real-alt-right-please-stand-up/
0 Replies

old europe

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 07:14 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
Anyone who cares to know what Milo said should read the article, not listen to Yurp, the sophist.

That's good advice, layman. For once, I completely agree with you.

Particularly since the article says:

Milo Yiannopoulos wrote:

It's curious how the article lists a racist white supremacist as an intellectual and call him a founder of the alt-right, but also tells us that people who insist that the alt-right consists of anti-Semites, white supremacists, and other members of the Stormfront set are wrong, isn't it?

It's almost as if Milo is betting that nobody knows that Richard Spencer is a racist white supremacist of the Stormfront set, isn't it?
old europe

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 07:17 am
@Lash,
You're welcome.

Lash, do you think that the views of someone like Richard Spencer, who is listed as an alt-right intellectual and founder of a center of alt-right thought, deserve to be heard?
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 07:27 am
@layman,

Lola has unwittingly proven the point of the argument against political correctness. She threw together a few words and phrases attributable to a person, sleazily couched in an irresponsibly slanted narrative, and like-minded hordes of establishment Democrats are trying to use this fakery to shut down opinions that don't match theirs.

Disgusting.
layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 07:28 am
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

It's curious how the article lists a racist white supremacist as an intellectual and call him a founder of the alt-right, but also tells us that people who insist that the alt-right consists of anti-Semites, white supremacists, and other members of the Stormfront set are wrong, isn't it?

Yes, there's a contradiction there, sure. The "contradiction" arises from your absolute misrepresentation of the role Spencer plays, NOT from anything Milo said.

If you want to make any sense of the article, you'll have to abandon your absurd notions about what Milo is saying about Spencer.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 07:32 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Lola has unwittingly proven the point of the argument against political correctness. She threw together a few words and phrases attributable to a person, sleazily couched in an irresponsibly slanted narrative, and like-minded hordes of establishment Democrats are trying to use this fakery to shut down opinions that don't match theirs.

Disgusting.

Unfortunately for Yurp, the sophist, another person who can read has entered the thread, to wit: You, Hunnychile.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 07:33 am
@old europe,
Probably because you showed a complete lack of integrity on the point you famously lost, and he won't be lured into a desperate dodge of the issue.

You should concede the point, and he may or may not take issue with your new topic...? Just guessing.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 07:58 am
Milo says the alt.right calls the republican conservatives "cuckservatives." That sheds some light on the whole issue, and the contents of his article. What is a "cuckservative," anyway? Well, he addresses that in another article, to wit:

Quote:
As someone who’s been covering web culture and online memes for years and who has a great deal of respect for how well many right-wingers have taken to internet culture, I’m slightly embarrassed by my fellow conservatives’ inability to understand a term [cuckservative] that returned to popular use not on white power websites, but on 4chan....

On 4chan, “cuck” is used as a general term of abuse, to describe someone who caves in, surrenders, or sells out his core supporters. (His base, in political parlance.) ...

Before it became a 4chan meme, “cuckold” was a common term of abuse in mediaeval times and through the Renaissance. Shakespeare plays are replete with the word — that’s where I learned it, anyway, where it’s used as a byword for an emasculated male.

The original meaning, of course, referred to a man with an unfaithful wife.

“cuckservative” can mean many things. It could mean conservatives who are afraid of social exclusion and kowtow to the liberal media establishment. It could mean conservatives who play the left’s game of identity politics, accusing their internal opponents, such as Donald Trump, of being racist or sexist or rapey for spurious or opportunistic reasons....

Mostly, cuckservative memes are about GOP spinelessness on immigration, lies the political left tells about racism in America today, or simple frustration with the perceived limp-wristedness of the right-wing Establishment in the face of the vast left-wing smear machine

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/07/28/cuckservative-is-a-gloriously-effective-insult-that-should-not-be-slurred-demonised-or-ridiculed/

If that's what the alt.right is about, then I'm with them.
Lash

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 08:15 am
@layman,
When I started reading about the Alt Right, I immediately thought of Tyler Durden--(Fight Club) the angry millennial males who wake up into a world where feminism and political correctness have a big angry finger pointed at them for being white and having a penis.

Then I thought of our resident dude (max or DrewDad, I get them confused) who rails against what he deems as feminist overreach primarily regarding a woman's arguable advantage with child custody during divorce. I actually agree with some so-called Alt Right positions. Does society need a voice to compete with Feminism?

Should a society shut down competing voices?

What happens when your voice is the one a horde of harpies attacks?
layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 08:22 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

When I started reading about the Alt Right, I immediately thought of Tyler Durden--(Fight Club) the angry millennial males who wake up into a world where feminism and political correctness have a big angry finger pointed at them for being white and having a penis.

I've never seen that flick, but from what you're describing, I think you have certainly identified what seems to an important element of the "alt.right," whatever it really is.

As the other blogger I quoted said, I think the term is just too nebulous to define in any objective manner. But one thing is quite certain (see, just for example, the excerpt I posted from Brietbart in response to NPR), Bannon was NOT referring to Robert Spencer and his ilk when he (Bannon) used the term.

If the media and/or everyone else wants to get together and that the term "alt.right" means "white supremacy advocates," I don't care. Just don't try to retroactively impute that meaning to what Bannon said.