Rising fascism in the US

Lash

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 08:34 am
@layman,
You have GOT to see Fight Club.

And I think you're right about the term. It's a huge umbrella for disparate groups that may have a thin thread of commonality. The nutty McCarthy-ite behavior of the Establishment Dem Party trying to lump all these people together and call them Nazis will just gut them even worse in the midterms.

It's about bullying, cheating, and controlling words to them.
layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 08:39 am
@Lash,
Exactly!

Based on your recommendation (I've heard of it before, of course) I'll make it a point to watch it sometime.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 08:47 am
@Lash,
Lash, I'm kinda curious. When the "pussy-grabbin" tape of Trump came out, what did you, as a woman, make of it?

Kellyanne said, the other day, that voters are much more concerned with what affects them than what "offends" them. I think she makes a good point.

But, that aside, I'm asking if you were "truly offended."
Lash

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 09:28 am
@layman,
I thought I've had the same sexually aggressive types of talks when I thought I was having a private discussion.

I thought everyone else did too.

I thought those that said they didn't were liars.

I also thought that Trump's statement that wealthy or famous people could get away with sexually aggressive behavior was both disgusting and true.

Loud complaints were partisan.
layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 09:36 am
@Lash,
Well, I not surprised that those were just about exactly my thoughts, too. You seem to be one of the few who is willing to express it though. I can't help but think that most people, if honest, would say the same.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 09:41 am
@Lash,
One reason I asked was because this statement made me think of it:

" [cuckservative] could mean conservatives who play the left’s game of identity politics, accusing their internal opponents, such as Donald Trump, of being racist or sexist or rapey for spurious or opportunistic reasons...."

I couldn't help but think of Ryan and others announcing their utter rejection of Trump. It struck me as posturing designed to remain compliant with political correctness. The cowards.
layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 10:08 am
An interesting article about Bannon:

Quote:
Stephen Bannon... argued that Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, and Ann Coulter pose an existential threat to the left. “These women cut to the heart of the progressive narrative,” he explained. “That's one of the unintended consequences of the women's liberation movement....“What we need to do is bitch-slap the Republican Party.”

[T]he animating spirit of Bannon’s projects, including Breitbart.com, is anti-leftism. That is where his venom and animus most surfaces, whether expressed by lashing out at “a bunch of dykes” from northeastern colleges, or union organizers, or Barack Obama, or those who don’t fight leftists as Bannon believes they should.

Like an eager Iraq War hawk circa 2002, Bannon is so dominated by a desire to wage war and vanquish his enemy that he cannot think clearly about damage wrought by his destructive, polarizing approach or the long term consequences.

In that sense, Bannon is radically anti-conservative, with no apparent regard for custom or continuity or prudence or the need to fear and restrain populist passions.

This anti-left focus was illustrated by Bannon’s telling responses to the 2008 financial crisis and the ensuing bailouts. Despite his Goldman Sachs past, he repeatedly harkened back to those events as if they radicalized him, aptly noting that they constituted unconscionable crony capitalism in a country where the middle class is struggling.

“We don’t believe there is a functional conservative party in this country and we certainly don’t think the Republican Party is that,” he told a gathering of conservatives in Washington, D.C. “It’s going to be an insurgent, center-right populist movement that is virulently anti-establishment, and it’s going to continue to hammer this city, both the progressive left and the institutional Republican Party.”

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/08/the-radical-anti-conservatism-of-stephen-bannon/496796/

There's a lot more there (I haven't even read it all). But, as has been discussed elsewhere, the left now wants to bash Trump for having a former employee of Goldman Sachs as an advisor, supposedly because he is a "wall-street insider." At the same time, they want to bash him by alleging that he's just a smart skinhead. Which is it?

The attitudes expressed above strike me as completely consistent with the notion of "draining the swamp."
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 10:43 am
@layman,
That term cuckservative does seem designed to shame conservatives for some perceived capitulation.
georgeob1

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 10:49 am
@Lash,
Sometimes people with nothing to say simply invent new words to mask their vacuity.
layman

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 10:53 am
@georgeob1,
I have a feeling that you just entered the thread and have yet to discern the context for Lash's observation, George. I could be wrong, of course. You tell me.
Lash

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 11:21 am
@layman,
George may reference the term cuckservative with his comment about vacuity--I may think it applies to Alt Right.

We have neocon, neolib,... Fascinating topic--how we use language, when we approve terms, when we rail against them.
georgeob1

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 11:46 am
@Lash,
All these terms appear to have been invented (or merely redefined) by the inquisitors of the PC cult, who, of course know better than we what is good for the rest of us.
Lash

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 07:13 pm
@georgeob1,
I definitely heard that. Wink
0 Replies

old europe

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 08:08 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
And I think you're right about the term. It's a huge umbrella for disparate groups that may have a thin thread of commonality. The nutty McCarthy-ite behavior of the Establishment Dem Party trying to lump all these people together and call them Nazis will just gut them even worse in the midterms.

I haven't seen you express much concern about all the actual Nazis who seem to proudly claim the label alt-right.

It's quite bizarre, really. Apparently, we shouldn't be very much concerned about people and sites who claim to be the alt-right like Richard Spencer, or Steve Sailer, or Andrew Anglin, or Ricky Vaughn, or Paul Town, or sites like Stormfront, or VDARE, or The Occidental Observer, or American Renaissance. Apparently, they're not the real alt-right.

Instead, we should be really concerned that anyone would identify these sites or people as racist, or nationalist, or white supremacist, and would therefore call the alt-right racist, or nationalist, or white supremacist. Clearly, doing so is McCarthyism.
old europe

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 08:11 pm
@georgeob1,
Or maybe you're so trained to assume that any insult comes from the left that you have a hard time recognizing when insults are coming from the extreme right.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 08:18 pm
@old europe,
Try this: Judge each statement someone makes on its own merit, and stop worrying about herding a mob together to attack people you deem to fit in an undesirable category.
old europe

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 08:43 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Judge each statement someone makes on its own merit

How is this useful, Lash?

When Andrew Anglin says that everyone in the world is now trying to define exactly what the alt-right is, he is probably right.

Does that mean we can't reasonably describe him as a white supremacist?

Lash wrote:
stop worrying about herding a mob together to attack people you deem to fit in an undesirable category.

It seems to me as if people who label themselves alt-right are doing the "herding together".

All I'm hearing from you are complaints about how the alt-right is wrongfully labeled nationalist, racist, white supremacist, yet you don't seem to take much issue with the fact that nationalists, racists, white supremacists themselves are claiming the label alt-right.
maporsche

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 08:50 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Try this: Judge each statement someone makes on its own merit, and stop worrying about herding a mob together to attack people you deem to fit in an undesirable category.

This coming from the women who spends a ton of time attacking people, placing them into an undesirable category, and promoting groupthink.
Lash

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 08:51 pm
@old europe,
I can't police all the white supremacists, racists, et al and neither can you--but I can stop short of broad-brush-smearing a huge group of people with an evil term.

And I will.

Will you?
Lash

Tue 6 Dec, 2016 08:52 pm
@maporsche,
Silly man. That was YOU.