Rising fascism in the US

maporsche

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 05:43 pm
@maxdancona,
I’ve never in my life called anyone a Nazi. I’m also considered by many to be liberal.

Regardless of my personal experiences, I don’t agree that this is a common refrain from the left.
maxdancona

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 09:14 pm
@maporsche,
Have you seen anyone arguing that Trump and his supporters are an indication of ... say... "rising fascism in the US"?
maporsche

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 09:47 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Have you seen anyone arguing that Trump and his supporters are an indication of ... say... "rising fascism in the US"?

Not really, no. I'm sure there are some far left people who've said this, but it's definitely not a common refrain among the left.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 10:03 pm
You do know, don't you, that Lash started this thread to attempt to claim that fascism was coming from the left, and not from President Plump?
0 Replies

Blickers

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 11:16 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote Max:
Quote:
It is particularly troubling to see people in on the left complaining about free speech being curtailed. The left is stamping out the expression of ideas by....calling for people to be fired for expression opinions.

Which is not Fascist behavior at all. You're only showing Fascist behavior if you call for people to be arrested for expressing repugnant opinions. People get fired for expressing opinions the boss doesn't like all the time. There's no Federal law against that. If Virginia and a few other states have laws against it, that might change things in those states. Of course, for this argument to work for your side, you first have to find out if more conservatives are firing liberals or are more liberals firing conservatives. I don't think you've done that.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 7 Apr, 2018 01:12 am
https://i.imgur.com/ceeNkRDl.jpg
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 7 Apr, 2018 01:54 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

What if they are, truly?
Lash

Sat 7 Apr, 2018 04:34 am
A lot of people from both sides of the political spectrum are concerned about what they see as moves toward fascism in America.

Here’s one citing Trump’s influence:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/opinion/fascism-arpaio-pardon-trump.amp.html

As sheriff of Maricopa County, Ariz., Joe Arpaio engaged in blatant racial discrimination. His officers systematically targeted Latinos, often arresting them on spurious charges and at least sometimes beating them up when they questioned those charges. Read the report from the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division, and prepare to be horrified.

Once Latinos were arrested, bad things happened to them. Many were sent to Tent City, which Arpaio himself proudly called a “concentration camp,” where they lived under brutal conditions, with temperatures inside the tents sometimes rising to 145 degrees.

And when he received court orders to stop these practices, he simply ignored them, which led to his eventual conviction — after decades in office — for contempt of court. But he had friends in high places, indeed in the highest of places. We now know that Donald Trump tried to get the Justice Department to drop the case against Arpaio, a clear case of attempted obstruction of justice. And when that ploy failed, Trump, who had already suggested that Arpaio was “convicted for doing his job,” pardoned him.

————————-

I’ve brought more articles from brilliant writers on the left who cite encroachments on free speech.

I’m concerned about both—and it is undeniable that our society is changing for the worse because of anti-democratic trends from both directions.
izzythepush

Sat 7 Apr, 2018 04:41 am
@Lash,
Over here we call that going through the motions.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 7 Apr, 2018 04:52 am
This was really ruthless against the Trump voter - a bit broad-brush in its condemnation - but the balance of Hedges thinking is worth of a read.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-revenge-of-the-lower-classes-and-the-rise-of-american-fascism-2/

College-educated elites, on behalf of corporations, carried out the savage neoliberal assault on the working poor. Now they are being made to pay. Their duplicity—embodied in politicians such as Bill and Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama—succeeded for decades. These elites, many from East Coast Ivy League schools, spoke the language of values—civility, inclusivity, a condemnation of overt racism and bigotry, a concern for the middle class—while thrusting a knife into the back of the underclass for their corporate masters. This game has ended.

There are tens of millions of Americans, especially lower-class whites, rightfully enraged at what has been done to them, their families and their communities. They have risen up to reject the neoliberal policies and political correctness imposed on them by college-educated elites from both political parties: Lower-class whites are embracing an American fascism.

These Americans want a kind of freedom—a freedom to hate. They want the freedom to use words like “nigger,” “kike,” “spic,” “chink,” “raghead” and “fag.” They want the freedom to idealize violence and the gun culture. They want the freedom to have enemies, to physically assault Muslims, undocumented workers, African-Americans, homosexuals and anyone who dares criticize their cryptofascism. They want the freedom to celebrate historical movements and figures that the college-educated elites condemn, including the Ku Klux Klan and the Confederacy. They want the freedom to ridicule and dismiss intellectuals, ideas, science and culture. They want the freedom to silence those who have been telling them how to behave. And they want the freedom to revel in hypermasculinity, racism, sexism and white patriarchy. These are the core sentiments of fascism. These sentiments are engendered by the collapse of the liberal state.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 7 Apr, 2018 05:35 am
@Lash,
Its interesting to view how your twisted "logic" works. The left seems to be openly inviting all races and creeds to BE PART OF THEIR ORGANIZATION AT THE MANAGERIAL LEVEL, whereas the Right, tries to acquire a few "tokens".
What is the best way to affect change within an organization if it isnt inclusivity??
Your crap rings hollow just like Plump 's trying to divert the nations attention on Daca's failures on the left, when indeed its the typical MO of the right, "Divert the attention away from what we do by blaming the other side"
farmerman

Sat 7 Apr, 2018 05:36 am
@Olivier5,
A Fascist Oligarchic Kakistocracy. Thats what Plump is spearheading
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 7 Apr, 2018 05:39 am
@farmerman,
I think you’re confused. Nothing I’ve said is related to your personal insult. You must be driven by assumption.

Specifically what ‘crap rings hollow’?
Setanta

Sat 7 Apr, 2018 05:50 am
Ah, classic Lash--attack the Clintons and blame them for all of our ills.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 7 Apr, 2018 05:53 am
That was Chris Hedges—and plenty of other progressive thinkers like Noam Chomsky.

I’m in good company.

The Clintons are ****.
farmerman

Sat 7 Apr, 2018 05:54 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Nothing I’ve said is related to your personal insult.
stop trying to float the more passive aggressive insults yourself.
revelette1

Sat 7 Apr, 2018 06:56 am
I've left the following on the Trump thread but it belongs here too.

Quote:
What's driving Trump's attacks on Amazon? It's personal

Early in President Donald Trump’s term, when White House officials heard him complain vociferously about Amazon.com Inc. they arranged private briefings in the Oval Office to make sure that he would talk knowledgeably about the company.

Gary Cohn, his top economic adviser, and other officials gave PowerPoint presentations and briefing papers they believed debunked his concerns that Amazon was dodging taxes and exploiting the U.S. Postal Service.

It made little difference. Mr. Trump persisted in attacks that ran counter to the material they had showed him.

“It’s not the narrative he wants,” one person familiar with the matter said of the White House briefings. “He clearly didn’t find it persuasive because he keeps saying it’s untrue.”

In the past week, the president has turned what were sporadic and often private criticisms into a sustained volley of tweets against the company, often causing stock market fluctuations.

Fueling Mr. Trump’s ire is not so much Amazon, the online giant that is revamping the retail industry, but the company’s Chief Executive Officer Jeff Bezos, who also owns The Washington Post, people close to the White House say.

Quote:
Yet in his talk with reporters aboard the plane, Mr. Trump suggested some form of action against Amazon may be taken but didn’t specify what it would address.

“We’ll see what happens,” he said. “The post office is not doing well with Amazon. … The playing field has to be leveled.”

WSJ
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 7 Apr, 2018 07:04 am
@farmerman,
I’m pretty straightforward with my insults. You must be reading in, apparently given to assumption.

You were just off key. We all are occasionally. Stop digging.
0 Replies

Blickers

Sat 7 Apr, 2018 10:22 am
@Lash,
Quote Lash:
Quote:
I’m in good company.

The Clintons are ****.

Yes, Lash will never forgive Bill Clinton for producing 18 Million Full Time jobs, producing the largest weekly Full Time pay in history to that point, and eliminating the deficit. Why, even the thought of it makes her livid.
edgarblythe

Sat 7 Apr, 2018 10:25 am
@Blickers,
Don't forget to credit Bill Clinton with prisons for profit, ending welfare as we knew it, deregulating banks which enabled the Bush recession to hit so hard, just for starters.