Rising fascism in the US

BillW

Thu 12 Oct, 2017 04:57 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
edit: you added in that 'Trump didn't inherit a poor economic situation.' That's totally wrong. The economic situation for a large portion, if not a majority, of citizens in this country is pretty poor indeed. I could go into a lot of depth about it, but suffice to say that there's a shitload of pain out there right now and zero solutions from our government.

Quit the contrary in fact. Every solution and policy created is to make the the middle and lower classes poorer.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Thu 12 Oct, 2017 05:01 pm
@maxdancona,
I'm talking about factors that allowed an extremist party to take control of a country, and you're saying that there are no parallels because I a) didn't list off EVERY single one, and b) I didn't list things that happened after the Nazis took control. 'Gas chambers' had nothing to do with the rise of the Nazi party, it's a stupid thing for you to even write.

If you can't stop acting like such a douchebag, and actually discuss the topic, I'll just stop responding to you. You're not forwarding any argument here other than some holier-than-thou centrism, which is boring and inaccurate to begin with

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Thu 12 Oct, 2017 05:05 pm
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nazi-flyers-pennsylvania-mail_us_59df8394e4b00abf3646e93a?cna

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 12 Oct, 2017 05:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Your argument is bogus. You are cherry-picking "facts" to make someone you don't like into a Nazi. It is a game you are playing.

Answer this... 8 years ago, conservatives listed out reasons that Obama was like Hitler. They included the fact that Obama was a popular leader who gave great speeches, and that he wanted to restrict the expression of religion. These are all kind of true... it is still a bogus argument.

Why is it OK for you to play this game, when it wasn't valid for the conservatives to play this game with Obama?

You can draw comparisons between Hitler and anyone. And they do exactly that. Trump supporters even play this game ... calling his opponent "Hitlery".

Both sides are playing this partisan game. It is a bogus argument when they do it. It is equally bogus when you do it.

Cycloptichorn

Thu 12 Oct, 2017 05:17 pm
@maxdancona,
I am not drawing comparisons between Trump and Hitler. I am drawing comparisons between the political and economic situation that allowed the rise of extremism in Germany, and our current situation. And there are many parallels. You didn't even attempt to challenge the list I provided, other than to criticize it for being too short

Cycloptichorn
maxdancona

Thu 12 Oct, 2017 05:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Fine.

1) What year do you think these parallels started?
2) What period in US history could you not draw such parallels?'
3) What period in the history of any country in the World could you not draw parallels with any other period of any other country.

Parallels are easy to draw. You start with a political narrative you want to push, and then cherry pick "facts" to make them fit and ignore any facts that don't fit the narrative.

I can draw the same number of parallels between what's happening to day, and the epic of Gilgamesh of you want ("Build that Wall").

It is a bogus game.

Setanta

Thu 12 Oct, 2017 05:27 pm
The striking similarities between 1920s and -30s fascism are everywhere--but there is one major difference. The fascists in Italy, German, Hungary, Greece and Spain all moved to outlaw opposition parties--see Oralloy's calls for the Democratic Party to be banned, which can be found many places on-line. They all moved to take control of the news media--see the comments from President Plump which I posted above. They purged their parties of the ideologically unsound--see Oralloy's comments about purging (the term he used) the Republican Party; once again, such comments can be found elsewhere on-line.

All of the fascist parties, which usually claimed to be syndicalist initially, moved to support and seek the support of capitalists rather quickly. Hitler financed the rise of the NSDAP with contributions from the "smokestack barons" of Germany's industrial sector. Mussolini worked hand-in-glove with the Italian industrial sector to make Italy great again.

But the neo-fascist in the United States today don't want favors from the government, they want to own the government. They're fine with fascism, but they don't intend to leave in the hand of unreliable politicians. This is the goal of the Koch brothers--to make the U.S. government a wholly-owned subsidiary.
maxdancona

Thu 12 Oct, 2017 05:31 pm
@Setanta,
I am pretty sure Setanta plagiarized this from World News Daily -- a conservative site that is making a remarkably similar argument even though it is from a completely different political position.

The left wingnut arguments are remarkably similar to the right wingnut arguments.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 12 Oct, 2017 06:09 pm
@Setanta,
Here is the real problem with this argument. If it is true... what does it mean?

We have democracy. We have a constitution. We have laws and courts. We have elections. So let's say that the hype is correct, and the US is in a unique time where it is plunging toward fascism in a way that it hasn't ever done before. What does that mean?

Would this be an excuse to curtail free speech? Or to question the results of democratic elections?

The way I would protect our democracy is to increase support for free speech and to protect people who express minority opinions. Does this make me a Nazi (I don't think the Nazis ever took this particular stance). The fact that the left is trying to punish professors for their opinions and prevent speakers from being heard in the name of fighting fascism is rather ironic.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 12 Oct, 2017 06:52 pm
Don't accuse me of plagiarism, you nasty, snot-nosed little creep. As the loonies of the left used to say in the 60s, you don't need a weather man to know which way the wind is blowing.

Go find a woman to bully, it's your only genuine talent.
BillW

Thu 12 Oct, 2017 07:05 pm
Put this on the wrong thread, or actually oit should be on both:

So, how can "they" win in the next two months? Abolish the filibuster, change Supreme Court to 13 Justices, start to work 10 hours a day 6 days a week. By this time next year we would no longer be a Democracy. On a 32% base......
0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 12 Oct, 2017 07:15 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Go find a woman to bully, it's your only genuine talent.

I got you babe....
0 Replies

BillW

Thu 12 Oct, 2017 09:01 pm
White House confirms it will not pay ACA Subsidies. Millions of poor and indigent will not have health insurance.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 13 Oct, 2017 12:11 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Oralloy, I don't think the facts are on your side on this one.

I'm not arguing that the far left commits more terrorism (I truly have no idea how the two sides compare). I'm just saying that the far left commits a significant amount.

I do believe though that for every Muslim who rejoiced over the slaughter of innocents on 9/11, there is also a secular liberal who similarly rejoiced over the attacks.

maxdancona wrote:
However I also don't think it is important to my argument.

I concur.

maxdancona wrote:
I am not defending conservatives here against liberals, I am suggesting that both sides play fast and loose with the facts to make their own dubious partisan points.

Understood.

Good luck. I don't think the other side is interested in hearing your facts.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 13 Oct, 2017 12:13 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Yaknow, the Nazis didn't run on or popularly talk about Genocide either. They started with a policy of kicking people out of the country, who they didn't like. Does that sound familiar? It ought to, seeing as you yourself advocate it here daily.

Well liberals cause so much harm to everyone it just seems right that they be incarcerated with the terrorists.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 13 Oct, 2017 12:27 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
see Oralloy's calls for the Democratic Party to be banned, which can be found many places on-line.

It can? That's gratifying. I was hoping that my ideas on abolishing the Democratic Party would spread and eventually become mainstream and then be adopted. Very nice to hear the news that they are spreading at least.

I've had a similarly positive experience on pro-Israeli message boards posting my ideas about how to really screw over the Palestinians. People really like some of my ideas.

Unsure whether to vote your post back up. On the one hand it's ridiculous to denounce me and/or other Trump supporters as fascists. But then again the post is sincere (I believe) and politely delivered. I think I will go vote it back up just as soon as I post this.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 13 Oct, 2017 12:53 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Neither one of these is a real threat to the US.

If you really believe that, why are you so angry? Relax already. The kids in Berkeley are just playing cow boys vs. indians. It's nothing serious.

I think Trump is an American fascist. Racist, violent, populist, ultracapitalist, and militarist. He is precisely the sort of tyran wannabe that the founders were afraid would come in the future. He's why you have all these counter powers and checks and balances. So far the system is holding him in check pretty well, but it's not over until the fat asshole sings...
Olivier5

Fri 13 Oct, 2017 01:05 am
@Olivier5,
Here in Rome, communists and fascists still beat up one another in street battles, like they did in the 20's. The only concession to modern times is that they don't fight to kill. Typically the communists would come to a neofascist party office and start beating them up. A friend of mine was caught in the midst of one such fight a few years back, and she was mighty scared.
maxdancona

Fri 13 Oct, 2017 07:04 am
@Olivier5,
If Setanta and Oralloy want to snipe at each other, it is no skin off my back. I am far closer to Setanta than to Oralloy when it comes to actual political positions... so I clash a little more with Setanta than I do with Oralloy. But I think the political purity that each of them express is a little silly.

The real issue to me is Free Speech. I want a society where freedom of expression is defended. We can disagree about political positions, and we can have debates and make decisions without stifling dissent. The election in the US happened. I voted for Hillary (while holding my nose, but I did vote for her). Hillary lost the election. I agree with you about checks and balances. There is nothing for any rational American to do but wait for Trump's term to be over.

If the Democrats don't win the next election, I will be even more disappointed with them. Hopefully the Democrats will figure out that coddling ideological extremism from the left is not a very good way to win election (and they better figure this out quickly).

It is the base, the ideological extremes of each side, that want to scream at each other about who is Hitler. It doesn't do the country any good. What we need is a responsible Democratic party that can put together a rational coalition and promote sensible ways to govern the country. Less Screaming and more Governing.... hey! that's a good slogan.
oralloy

Fri 13 Oct, 2017 09:22 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
But I think the political purity that each of them express is a little silly.

What's wrong with me always siding with the good guys?
0 Replies