Rising fascism in the US

Lash

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 06:05 am
@Olivier5,
Thanks for the correction.

Many innocent people died and lost everything. Trying to make any political hay over a catastrophe hasn't one scintilla of honor.

izzythepush

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 06:17 am
@farmerman,
The only difference is that children aren't shot in schools, but if they were the parents of dead children wouldn't be vilified by the likes of Alex Jones and subject to death threats.

Quote:
Even in a country all too used to mass shootings, the merciless killing in Newtown, Connecticut of 20 six- and seven-year-olds, along with six of the school’s employees, retains a terrible hold on the US’s imagination, gripping the memory after too many other shootings have faded away. For most, it is too horrible to mention without a shudder. But for a tenacious few, it is too horrible to believe, and soon after Noah was killed, when Pozner thought he had already seen the worst of humanity, he came into contact with the latter group.
Just days after the massacre, when the US was still reeling from the tragedy, and Pozner himself was, he says, “pretty much in a catatonic state”, the theories started spreading: Sandy Hook had never happened, it was staged by actors, the children had never existed, it was a ruse by President Obama/the anti-gun movement/the “New World Order global elitists”. So-called Sandy Hook truthers – Pozner prefers the term hoaxer – pored over photos of the families and children on social media, triumphantly pointing to any visual similarities they could find between the dead children and living ones. The families were harassed by hoaxers, online and off, insisting that they stop their fake grieving. When Pozner roused himself from his catatonic grief to post photos of Noah online, hoaxers would leave comments: “Fake kid”, “Didn’t die”, “******* liar”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/02/sandy-hook-school-hoax-massacre-conspiracists-victim-father

We do have right win extremists over here, but their hate speech is not protected, neither do they have the support of the prime minister, so they don't have a spring in their step like they do in America.

I take your point, American democracy is so fragile that were you not able to say all Mexicans are rapists you'd morph into North Korea overnight.
izzythepush

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 06:19 am
@Lash,
Saying I don't believe your claims about Sanders/Trump is not an ad hom.
Kolyo

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 06:20 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Many innocent people died and lost everything. Trying to make any political hay over a catastrophe hasn't one scintilla of honor.

Olivier believes in the collective guilt of tribes. Now matter how good a life you've lived as an individual, if your tribe has done wrong you deserve to suffer.

Britain = bad
Texas = bad
France = good

(Never mind that Houston has voted Democratic for years.)
Lash

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 06:31 am
@izzythepush,
Yes it is. It's ignoring the content of my arguments, and saying I'm a liar. The easiest, cheapest way for a person to avoid debate of issues.

Ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is where an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.
izzythepush

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 07:03 am
@Lash,
I've not ignored your content at all. For a 'Sanders supporter' you've spent an inordinate amount of time attacking anti fascists and Clinton who's no longer even relevant.

You may think you've done a good job deceiving people, but you've not.

Btw, America is hardly unique in having a lot of cultures. We've got a large multicultural population too.
Olivier5

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 08:04 am
@izzythepush,
I know that what I say is true. When they mock islamist terrorist, Charlie tries to confort the victims of islamic terrorism, i.e. all of us including Muslims. And because it sees all organized religions as nefarious, they also mock mullahs, but to the same extent than priests or rabbis.
farmerman

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 08:06 am
@izzythepush,
glqd to see that youre still the lovable old blowjob youve always been. ANYTHING weve learned and are now laboring to rid ourselves of, I believe we learnt from the "Empire". You can try to be magisterial all you wish, Ive but to look in the history books and see how long youve hidden your Institutionalized racist dominion over the world. The only way youve seprated yourselves is by de-accession and not by enlightenment.

farmerman

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 08:13 am
@farmerman,
Come to think of it,I dont believe that proportionately, any more Merkins pay any attention to ALex Jones than do your folks listen to and believe David Ickes. Theyre both assholes who , like any conspiracy theorists, provide red meat for a limited audience of like thinking douche bags
Olivier5

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 08:27 am
@Lash,
Charlie Hebdo is not interested in 'honor' in the English sense of the word, i.e. in doing what's 'proper', 'expected' or 'normal'. On the contrary, their trade is to offend, to annoy, to provoke, to break the mold of 'honor'.
Olivier5

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 08:29 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:
Olivier believes in the collective guilt of tribes. Now matter how good a life you've lived as an individual, if your tribe has done wrong you deserve to suffer.

Britain = bad
Texas = bad
France = good

That's a lie.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 08:33 am
@izzythepush,
You'd be hard-pressed to find a Sanders supporter who doesn't really, really dislike Clinton.

Glad you understand what ad hom is now.
Lash

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 08:36 am
@Olivier5,
I definitely understand that. My reference to honor was in response to your comment about Texas having some atoning, or something similar, to do.

You don't blame a state full of people for the behavior of some. I thought it was a dishonorable idea.
ehBeth

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 08:39 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Come to think of it,I dont believe that proportionately, any more Merkins pay any attention to ALex Jones than do your folks listen to and believe David Ickes. Theyre both assholes who , like any conspiracy theorists, provide red meat for a limited audience of like thinking douche bags

Alex Jones gets a lot of play on social media. A frightening number of people quote him/believe him/support him/defend him.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 08:49 am
@Lash,
I just said that Texas 'has a lot to answer for', not that every single Texan was a bad person.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 09:15 am
@farmerman,
David Icke can't direct hate towards innocents, not without facing prosecution. Alex Jones is horrible, a repulsive human being, David Icke is just nuts.

FM wrote:
Come to think of it,I dont believe that proportionately, any more Merkins pay any attention to ALex Jones than do your folks listen to and believe David Ickes.

I'm sure that's a great deal of comfort to the parents who are receiving death threats.
izzythepush

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 09:16 am
@Olivier5,
So ordinary Muslims are comforted by a cartoon of the prophet's arsehole.
farmerman

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 09:17 am
@izzythepush,
Time for vespers father?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 09:17 am
@farmerman,
At some point you have to take responsibility for your own actions. You can't keep blaming us, you're not children.
farmerman

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 09:19 am
@izzythepush,
the undeniable facts are that Icke is believed just like Jones. I see no damn differences.
(Unless of course youre still trying to convince people that English bacon is edible)