Rising fascism in the US

Lash

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 04:18 am
@Lash,
The 'responsibilities' are not to call for violence. The responsibility of the public is not to react to speech with violence.

Not complicated.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 04:25 am
@izzythepush,
It's actually very simple: Charlie Hebdo's satire is conforting the general victims of terrorism (us all) and afflicting the religious wackos who think violence is an acceptable way to silence or scare us all.
Lash

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 04:43 am
@Olivier5,
Hebdo is an equal opportunity insulter. There was a cartoon depicting drowned people in Florida as God's punishment of Nazis.

Florida? Really using the hurricane for fun and laughs.

I'd like to smack the **** out of the guy who thought that was funny, but I don't want to take his right to expression.
farmerman

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 05:10 am
@Lash,
You have to "get it" about the Southern Baptist and other Evangelical Fundamental religions that proffer their beliefs about divine retribution for gay marriage or birth control. I recall when the Obamas were depicted as Islamic Terrorists on the cover of the New Yorker.
izzythepush

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 05:15 am
@Olivier5,
You know that's not true. Charlie Hebdo doesn't just insult the religious whackos. It insults all Muslims, even the ones who helped protect them from terrorists.
izzythepush

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 05:19 am
@Lash,
The point is that you're in a position of privilege, largely unaffected by calls to discriminate against minorities. If you were the target of hate speech you'd think differently.
izzythepush

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 05:20 am
@farmerman,
Really? That's why you have Nazis marching and committing racist murders.
Lash

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 05:28 am
@farmerman,
And?
Lash

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 05:29 am
@Lash,
That divine retribution stuff is stupid, but they have the right to say it, and depict the Obamas.

I do get it.

What's your point?
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 05:31 am
@izzythepush,
You saw the response against the pro-Confederate people.
farmerman

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 05:32 am
@izzythepush,
Yep even tht. It seems that we can overcome and become a society that celebrates diversity without clamping down on our constitution.(Unless we modify it like you guys do).

I could never Imagine us having Blasphemy Laws(like you guys did until fairly recently) .That would be in major conflict with our first. amendment rights
izzythepush

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 05:38 am
@farmerman,
I could never imagine living in a country where school shootings weren't taken seriously.

Our blasphemy laws are gone, and for a long time were an anachronism, one of those laws that's on the books but never acted on.

That's probably why America is so secular in it's outlook and things like ID are never discussed in science.
Lash

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 05:40 am
@izzythepush,
I guess the blasphemy laws didn't have the desired effect...
izzythepush

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 05:41 am
@Lash,
No I didn't, but I take a lot of what you say with a pinch of salt, like you not supporting Trump and actually supporting Sanders. The young earth ideology sounds more credible.
izzythepush

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 05:43 am
@Lash,
Depends what you mean, we don't have a problem with religious nutjobs trying to stop women having abortions and teaching ID in schools.
Lash

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 05:45 am
I saw a lot of come to Jesus moments this weekend on Twitter.

It was a really great teachable moment in benefit of freedom of expression. So many vets weighing in about what they felt like they'd been fighting for--and the most interesting conversations I saw were the flag-waving mostly ignorant people who really just wanted to find another issue to bash black Americans with --being read by actual vets who support freedom of speech.

I loved being able to participate.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 05:46 am
@izzythepush,
Who sez ID IS NOT discussed in science. It is, its just not taught as a scientific theory. And that applies only to public schools and charter schools. Parochial schools (most of them) also discuss ID as a hypothesis without evidence.

Yeh, we also hqd laws that forbad carrying a concealed weapon longer than 6 feet. But it was local ordinance.

You act like you have no right wing nutbags in your "advanced civilization". The only diff twixt you and a cartoon ostrich is that even a cartoon ostrich pulls its head out of the sand every so often.
Lash

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 05:47 am
@izzythepush,
It's just a tired ad hom when people can't win an argument.

Do what you need to do. Doesn't make any difference to me.
Lash

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 05:49 am
@izzythepush,
We are enormous. We have so many cultures here. It's like Europe trying to be one country. There's a lot going on.

Plus, our government is completely corrupt for a couple of decades.

Just wish us luck.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 05:58 am
@Lash,
It was after Harvey and thus about Texas, not Florida. But yeah, they specialize in poor taste. This said, there's often a grain of truth in their cartoons. In this case, that Texas has a lot to answer for.