Rising fascism in the US

izzythepush

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 06:08 am
@Lash,
That's how it sounds. Antifa is a bogeyman cooked up by the Trump team to legitimise Trump's luke-warm condemnation of Nazis.

There is no comparison between anti fascists and neo Nazis. None.

No other leader of a liberal democracy has had a problem with anti fascists, and no other American president has either, not until now. Instead of hyping up the behaviour of a few individuals you should be asking yourself why only Donald Trump has a problem with anti fascism.
BillRM

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 06:41 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Lash wrote:
I'm also concerned about the fact that Edward Snowden is the one who had to run for his life instead of the administration officials regarding what Snowden dropped to the public.

Snowden exposed classified information, which helped terrorists to murder innocent people.

The administration officials are trying to save the lives of those same innocent people.

Lash wrote:
Why in hell hasn't some action been taken to put a stop to governmental intrusion into our lives?

Because no one wants to be murdered by terrorists.

Complete nonsense in every way and shame on you for posting it.

Lash

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 06:43 am
@izzythepush,
It's a little bizarre to me that you pretend antifa doesn't exist.

I have a problem with them.

For me, control through violence is always wrong. Right now, because antifa is attacking a group of people that a lot of people would love to attack, people like you are defending them.

My worldview recognizes the violence as very simply and clearly wrong, no matter who is the target or the perpetrator. Fight with ideas and speech, and you're legally protected; strike someone, pepper-spray them, hurt them- and you've broken the law--no matter who you are or how awful they are.

It's a clear line. It applies to everyone.

BillRM

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 06:46 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The newspapers of the early republic were every bit as scurrilous, if not more so, than one can allege they are today. Plus ça change . . .

Yes indeed both Jefferson and Hamilton had newspapers that they gave government business to in order to have the tools to fight each other by way of the press.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 06:50 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Complete nonsense in every way and shame on you for posting it.

Everything I said there is factual. I will never be ashamed of posting the truth.

Snowden exposed the methods that our government was using to uncover terrorists before they could strike us. In doing so he helped those terrorists to evade detection before they carried out their attacks.

The administration officials who are trying to discover terrorists before they attack, are indeed trying to prevent terrorists from killing innocent people.

And no one that I know of wants to be murdered by terrorists. Do you know anyone who wants to be murdered by terrorists?
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 07:02 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Antifa is a bogeyman cooked up by the Trump team to legitimise Trump's luke-warm condemnation of Nazis.

No, they are a real group of terrorists who are dedicated to the violation of free speech rights.

izzythepush wrote:

Indeed. Quite clearly violent anti-fascists are far worse than peaceful neo-nazis.

izzythepush wrote:
No other leader of a liberal democracy has had a problem with anti fascists,

Well, America is the only remaining free country on the planet.

izzythepush wrote:
and no other American president has either, not until now.

Democratic presidents often approve of violating the Constitution, so no surprise there.

I suspect past Republican presidents are not too supportive of the idea of violent leftists suppressing free speech.

izzythepush wrote:
Instead of hyping up the behaviour of a few individuals you should be asking yourself why only Donald Trump has a problem with anti fascism.

That assumes that Donald Trump is the only one. But presuming for the sake of argument that this is true, if only one person supports doing the right thing, the reason why would be because that one person is morally superior to all the others.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 09:42 am
@Lash,
I think you have a problem with paper tigers overall.
Baldimo

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 12:57 pm
@izzythepush,
Antifa has been in the news here in the US since last spring when they started riots at Berkeley trying to shutdown speakers they don't agree with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifa_(United_States)

https://antifascistnetwork.org/get-involved/
There is even a UK division of Facism...

Not to mention one of their Facebook pages:
https://www.facebook.com/antiFaUSA/

Then you have this douche bag who is a University teacher who claimed he loves to teach future dead cops:
http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/20/antifa-professor-called-for-killing-police-officers/

So, do you really want to claim that Antifa was made up by Trump?
Foofie

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 01:42 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

That's how it sounds. Antifa is a bogeyman cooked up by the Trump team to legitimise Trump's luke-warm condemnation of Nazis.

No other leader of a liberal democracy has had a problem with anti fascists, and no other American president has either, not until now. Instead of hyping up the behaviour of a few individuals you should be asking yourself why only Donald Trump has a problem with anti fascism.

Considering that Lincoln accepted plantation owners to continue to be American citizens, what is criticized in Trump's statement is just not disenfranchising ethically any portion of the population. He said there was hate on both sides. There was.

As a nation, we are so used to anti-social behavior being criminalized we are not accepting when anyone might hint at medicalizing anti-social behavior.
If we had more mental health resources available, we can have early intervention, and we'd all be living in the Brave New World novel.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 01:55 pm
The past-WWII antifa in the UK was mainly organised by Jews: the Association of Jewish Ex-Servicemen and Women (AJEX), alongside the 43 Group (an English anti-fascist group set up by Jewish ex-servicemen after World War II) and the Board of Deputies.

Same can be said for the time before war ("Battle of Cable Street" by the Board of Deputies of British Jews, 1936)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 03:16 pm
@Baldimo,
A facebook page! They must be well big. Trump exaggerated and then some. There's a few individuals hyped up beyond all measure and spoon fed to the credulous.
Baldimo

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 03:26 pm
@izzythepush,
I provided 3 sources and you denounce their own FB page? I could provide you with several different FB pages for Antifa groups in different cities and states? I don't believe your bias would let you believe they are indeed very active in the US and spreading violence against those they disagree with.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 22 Sep, 2017 07:00 am
Political correctness. Another speech issue. Haven't finished reading Mel's opinion, but leaving it here for later.

I've heard Seinfeld complain pretty bitterly on the loss of humor on college campuses, and Seinfeld's contention he won't even play at colleges because the students are waiting to be offended.

I complained about Louis CK on this thread. I wouldn't want him to lose his right to say his routine, but I really hated some things he said. Comedians seem to 'get away' with saying things that society probably wouldn't give anyone else a pass on...

I'll be getting Mel's take on PC.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/21/stupidly-politically-correct-society-death-comedy-warns-veteran/amp/
maxdancona

Fri 22 Sep, 2017 07:32 am
@Lash,
Quote:
I complained about Louis CK on this thread. I wouldn't want him to lose his right to say his routine, but I really hated some things he said. Comedians seem to 'get away' with saying things that society probably wouldn't give anyone else a pass on...

Isn't "getting away with saying things" kind of the point of comedy?

I love Louis CK. For that matter. I love Mel Brooks.

revelette1

Fri 22 Sep, 2017 07:34 am
Quote:
Drawing Equivalencies Between Fascists and Anti-Fascists Is Not Just Wrong—It’s Dangerous

After a fascist march in Charlottesville, Va. left one anti-Nazi protester dead and 19 others wounded, there has been widespread criticism of President Donald Trump’s failure to forcefully denounce white supremacists. However, this condemnation has rarely included a genuine understanding of the actions of antifascist protesters in Charlottesville and elsewhere, creating a continued justification for the “both sides” argument that paints antifascists, or antifa, as equivalent to the white supremacists they oppose.

As a researcher who has attended numerous political and social events with antifascist involvement, and interviewed many antifascists, it is clear to me that politicians and pundits are drawing a false equivalence between white supremacist and antifa actions—and ignoring the direct threat posed by supremacists that motivates antifascist responses. Antifascists often serve as the first line of defense when police and civil society fail to protect marginalized groups from fascist threat. Their actions must be understood in that context.

The flaw in the “both sides” position is that the violent protest actions of antifa are equivalent to the violent actions of white supremacists. A brief examination of the two movements’ approaches to violence points to the fallacy of comparing the two.

For white nationalists, neo-Nazis, the “alt-right” and others in that camp, violence is an end in itself. The ideology that they adhere to not only calls for the violent elimination of any group that falls outside of their narrow conception of normalcy, but also sees violence as the ultimate goal. From classical fascism to self-styled white nationalist social clubs like the Proud Boys, the use of violence is understood to be the means by which one’s goals are achieved. When even the most moderate position the alt-right or fascist movement can take is racial separation or nationalism through forcible repatriation and strict border control, including forced deportations and racialized exclusions, that movement is inherently violent.

But it doesn’t stop there. The “alt-right” is marked by its strategic deployment of symbols and Internet meme culture toward its political agenda. This culture is defined by its violent symbolism, from venerating individuals fighting antifa such as Kyle “Based Stickman” Chapman to the use of “helicopter ride” memes, referential to the murderous Pinochet regime to threatening leftists and antifascists to celebrating the death of Heather Heyer. This is a movement that laughs at the use of violence and encourages its participants to engage in violence as a self-righteous indulgence and source of gratification.

We can juxtapose antifa’s use of violent tactics with the way in which the far-right understands violence. Antifascists are focused on a singular goal as described by their movement name: opposing fascism. The antifascist strategy relies on a variety of tactics. As Spencer Sunshine points out in his history and profile of antifa groups, “antifascists have greatly increased their work on intelligence gathering, doxing and pressure tactics.”

Street confrontations are only a small part of the activity engaged in by antifascists. Antifa more often relies on gathering information about white supremacists and bigots, then confronts them through public shaming. Antifascists who were interviewed and responded to surveys as part of my dissertation research conducted in 2007 and 2008 consistently expressed support for nonviolent tactics, in addition to an escalation of tactics as necessary to stop supremacist events, organizing, and recruitment efforts. It would be a mischaracterization to claim that antifa oppose nonviolence. Instead, it is more accurate to say that antifa often justifiably view nonviolence as ineffective against a movement that is violent at its core, and participants who seem to lack any semblance of a conscience. This is the essence of antifascist use of violence.

Unlike the various supremacist movements that treat violence as valid political expression, antifa treat violence as a defensive tactic against an opposing movement that leverages violence. For antifascists, violence is self-defense, because the far-right movements constitute direct threats to their existence and safety, as well as the existence and safety of their communities.

My research found that antifascists who were willing to engage in violent action were also more likely to face direct or indirect threats from white supremacists as a result of personal identity, political ideology, or spatial proximity. Antifa are often much more diverse than the black-clad, young, presumably white male so often assumed by their representations. The antifa who I interviewed often felt a personal threat from the ideology of white supremacist groups because their sexual orientation, gender identity, race, or religion was a target of supremacist violence. These individuals saw their antifascism as a means of personal self-defense against a group that was targeting them for everyday violence and ultimately violent elimination. Even the white, heterosexual, cisgender men observed a certain amount of personal threat because they are viewed as “race traitors” or “cucks” as a result of their antifascist activism.

The hyper-awareness of such targeting is partially a result of political activism on the part of these individuals that is distinct from their antifascist work. Antifa activists aren’t solely concerned with opposing and stopping far-right movements: They are often involved in movements for racial justice, LGBTQ rights and leftist ideological campaigns for racial and economic justice through radical transformation of society inspired by communism or anarchism. These positions are identified by the far-right as political opponents who are to be eliminated by acts of extreme violence. Antifascism becomes not only a form of personal defense, but also a defense of the political activity that one is involved in. White supremacists and other far-right activists threaten progressive bookstores, organizing and social spaces, LGBTQ events and spaces, as well as places of worship that have included African-American churches, synagogues, mosques and Sikh temples.

Finally, many people choose antifa’s militant tactics because they find themselves much more likely to have some form of contact with white supremacists. Many of the antifascists in my research came to this form of activism because they were involved in punk and other underground music subcultures that were viewed as recruiting grounds by white supremacists. Their activism developed out of the threat of violence that racists brought into those subcultures. Subcultural antifascists come to embrace violent tactics because white supremacists do not leave subcultural spaces when asked nicely or confronted nonviolently. The same holds true when white supremacists threaten political, social and cultural spaces. Their purpose is to intimidate, and violent confrontation by antifa is often the only means of reducing or ending that threat.

The position that antifascist use of violent confrontational tactics is equivalent to the violence of the far-right reflects a lack of understanding of both fascist violence and the threat faced by antifa, and by diverse communities in general. Whereas supremacist movements treat violence as their ultimate goal, antifa approach it as a necessary tactic in self-defense. This position of self-defense is the product of the very real threat the white supremacists pose to antifascists and numerous other groups. Antifa come to understand that threat because their personal identities, as well as their political activism, are targeted by fascist violence. And they are more likely to actually face that violence than the average individual. By understanding the sense of threat observed by antifa, we can gain a greater context for their actions.

inthesetimes
Lash

Fri 22 Sep, 2017 08:10 am
@maxdancona,
I really liked Louis CK's tv show, and about 80% of his stand up, but he always says a few things that make me wonder how anyone could possibly laugh. I think the older I get, the more susceptible I am to visual images that didn't bother me previously.

One of the items was how it was a great idea to get an abortion if you don't want the baby. I'm with that, but I wouldn't be so gleeful about it. Then, he keeps going, comparing an aborted baby to a ****.

You just need to get that **** out of you.

0 Replies

Lash

Fri 22 Sep, 2017 08:20 am
@revelette1,
I call bullshit on that opinion piece.

It's a biased screed purporting that antifa has the right to act as a militarized army, so I should be glad when they choose to beat up unpopular groups.

That belief is as dangerous as a bunch of rednecks thinking they are superior to Jews and others. They're both very dangerous.
maxdancona

Fri 22 Sep, 2017 08:37 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
The position that antifascist use of violent confrontational tactics is equivalent to the violence of the far-right reflects a lack of understanding of both fascist violence and the threat faced by antifa, and by diverse communities in general.

I agree. This is nonsense. Using violence to shut down political points of view is the same whether the perpetrators are on the right or on the left. They are absolutely the same thing.

Even worse is when the left using violence and intimidation to prevent speakers, such as Ann Coulter (who is controversial... but certainly not a Nazi) from even being heard.

Yes. They are the same.

revelette1

Fri 22 Sep, 2017 08:42 am
@Lash,
Quote:
so I should be glad when they choose to beat up unpopular groups.

I am not sure how you can call white supremacy groups just "unpopular groups" as though they are not violent extremist which doesn't want to do away with people who not white like themselves, or deport them, or discriminate against them.

He was explaining the difference between antifacism groups and white supremacy groups. Antifa grew up in defense of the violence by white supremacy groups. Not saying it is right or even effective. The white supremacy groups are violent and discriminatory by its very existence, antifa is not. They are simply against facist and sometimes they use violence in defense. They show up at white supremacy rallies and if violence is used, they will use violence back. Personally I think it keeps the cycle of violence going and there are peaceful means to fight bigots. Such as protesting if you belong to a university where you know a white supremacy speaker is going to hold a rally or speech. Antifa shouldn't be the one to throw the first punch, but surely they are allowed to defend themselves?
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 22 Sep, 2017 08:43 am
@maxdancona,
People are allowed to protest if a speaker shows up their school espousing views they don't agree with.

On the whole, I agree, people shouldn't use violence as a first line of defense. But they can defend themselves.