Rising fascism in the US

Lash

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 06:45 pm
@izzythepush,
Just for the record, I think, considering the depth and breadth of evidence, Holocaust denial is either evidence of insanity or a very disgusting form of hatred.

I don't think you can legislate either out of someone. You can legislate what action they take. You can hold them to account for words that incite violence.

The rest is too slippery.
Glennn

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 07:51 pm
@Lash,
And just for the record, I think that giving critical thought to some of the implausible accounts of certain aspects of the Holocaust should not be met with condemnation or insults. I have yet to see anyone who points to inconsistencies within the Holocaust narrative not be subjected to scorn.

When did asking questions about certain historical events become something akin to blasphemy?
Lash

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 08:25 pm
@Glennn,
I suppose I'd have to hear the questions.

I've heard far too many primary source accounts from victims, perpetrators, and rescuers to doubt the basic narrative as widely presented.

Glennn

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 08:48 pm
@Lash,
Well, I've looked into it, and there are definitely some inconsistencies and fabrications that don't sit well with a reasoning mind.
Lash

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 09:05 pm
@Glennn,
I'd like to hear one.
Glennn

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 09:22 pm
@Lash,
Describe the gassing process.
Lash

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 09:34 pm
@Glennn,
I believe the information shared here.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/crematoria-and-gas-chambers-at-auschwitz-birkenau
Glennn

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 09:36 pm
@Lash,
I asked you to describe it. Can you do so?
Lash

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 09:40 pm
@Glennn,
For me to describe it, I'd have had to be there. I wasn't there.
Glennn

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 09:41 pm
@Lash,
What gas was used . . . specifically?
glitterbag

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 09:43 pm
@Glennn,
Sorry to butt in, but I'm pretty sure it was a lethal gas.
BillW

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 10:11 pm
@glitterbag,
For 6,000,000 Jews, 2/3's of the Jews in Northern Europe in that time period.
0 Replies

Olivier5
  Selected Answer

Tue 19 Sep, 2017 12:34 am
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

These parties rallies are marginalized by counter protests that are always many times more massive. They haven't got any traction - except now with tRump one of them. This is a situation we haven't faced before. Time will tell.

Still, your historical experience with McCarthyism may explain your ferrocious support to free speech now: a few decades ago, the US was jailing hundreds of American people and destroying the careers and lives of thousands just because they were leftists. That must be traumatic. Hence all the "slipery slope" talk. You've been on that slope not so long ago.

Just like Europe's historical experience with nazism made her alergic to nazi speech.
izzythepush

Tue 19 Sep, 2017 01:10 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Zyklon B (German: [tsykloːn ˈbeː] (About this sound listen); anglicized. US: /ˈzaɪklɒn ˈbiː/ (About this sound listen) or translated Cyclone B) was the trade name of a cyanide-based pesticide invented in Germany in the early 1920s. It consisted of hydrogen cyanide (prussic acid), as well as a cautionary eye irritant and one of several adsorbents such as diatomaceous earth. The product is infamous for its use by Nazi Germany during the Holocaust to murder approximately one million people in gas chambers installed at Auschwitz-Birkenau, Majdanek, and other extermination camps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zyklon_B
izzythepush

Tue 19 Sep, 2017 01:12 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
When did asking questions about certain historical events become something akin to blasphemy?

You can dispute the facts as much as you want, just don't expect the rest of us to see you as anything other than a Nazi sympathiser, because that's what Nazi sympathisers do. You can't have it both ways.
izzythepush

Tue 19 Sep, 2017 01:16 am
@Lash,
Germany is a case in point, lies about the causes of WW1 helped sweep the Nazis to victory.

Why would not being able to say all Mexicans/Africans/Muslims are rapists be the beginning of a slippery slope?
Lash

Tue 19 Sep, 2017 04:13 am
@izzythepush,
The sloppy comment about Mexicans by Trump received a lot of pushback. You can observe in the media and the streets, when he makes these sloppy, hyperbolic, catch-all statements, he's met with resistance.

The problem with what's happening 'speech-wise' in America right now is, to me, symbolized by an overcorrection like we see in Berkeley, but I'm personally thrilled at how that's settling.

Shapiro was able to speak, students were able to protest, the cops were able to do their job.

The neo-Nazis are losing steam. I think what chilled them was showing their pictures publicly. Many of them lost their jobs. I think a few were arrested.

As long as antifa are unmasked and photographed and those photos disseminated as well (as they were), we may have found our solution to recent speech wars.

I'm satisfied.

Brilliant conversation here by so many. I'm very grateful for this level of thoughtful consideration of the topic.
Olivier5

Tue 19 Sep, 2017 04:18 am
@Lash,
Quote:
As long as antifa are unmasked and photographed and those photos disseminated as well (as they were), we may have found our solution to recent speech wars.

I thought it was a sacrosaint freedom to hide one's face behind a veil... It's bad when the antifa hide their face but not when someone else does it?
Lash

Tue 19 Sep, 2017 05:05 am
@Olivier5,
Hiding your face in order to commit unaccountable violence

is not equal to

wearing your religious garments which happen to cover your face.

And I hope you'll remember that I don't support even religious reasons to wear the veil if there is a security risk. Imminent public safety trumps religious liberty. IMO

Walter Hinteler

Tue 19 Sep, 2017 05:07 am
@Lash,
Who decides why someone does it?