Rising fascism in the US

Lash

Tue 16 May, 2017 08:29 am
@Olivier5,
Not sure if your statement is accidentally or purposefully misleading, but it is untrue.
Olivier5

Tue 16 May, 2017 08:43 am
@Lash,
I think it's true. The family is apparently concerned that this could be fake news or manipulation. In the present climate, it make sense to be a bit cautious, no?
McGentrix

Tue 16 May, 2017 11:28 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I think it's true. The family is apparently concerned that this could be fake news or manipulation. In the present climate, it make sense to be a bit cautious, no?

Like being cautious when people falsely accuse the President of the US with doing something he did not, or could not, do?
Lash

Tue 16 May, 2017 11:49 am
The family can't deny he found something.

They can only deny that they know about it, or believe him, or asked him to look for something.
Olivier5

Tue 16 May, 2017 11:58 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Like being cautious when people falsely accuse the President of the US with doing something he did not, or could not, do?

When did I ever do that?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 16 May, 2017 12:03 pm
@Lash,
Sure. I'm not saying it's impossible that Rich leaked the emails. Just that the family is (rightly IMO) cautious in the current climate. I guess it takes more than a FOX News report to convince them. Let's see what the FBI says, or for some other source to come forward.
Lash

Tue 16 May, 2017 09:30 pm
@Olivier5,
Well, I have to wait, don't I?

But we know what I believe.
Olivier5

Wed 17 May, 2017 12:47 am
@Lash,
Wheeler had no access to Rich's computer. He is just rehashing Assanges' own account that Rich was a wikileaks supplier. This was a scoop 9 months ago. THERE ARE NO NEW FACTS HERE. The only reason it's coming back to TV screens is to divert people's attention from Trump's Russian affiliations.
Lash

Wed 17 May, 2017 01:47 am
@Olivier5,
The investigator says there are new facts.

You don't believe that account, and I do. It's ok. Happens all the time.

Olivier5

Wed 17 May, 2017 04:57 am
@Lash,
So what do you believe those new facts are?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Wed 17 May, 2017 05:43 pm
Wake up people. This is all typed out in large letters for the many people like me who are losing their eye sight and it is also read out loud for those of you who have bad hearing like me. You will need to click on the title to see it large and if you want larger letters click on full screen!

0 Replies

Lash

Fri 19 May, 2017 04:36 am
Not in the US, but I thought this was interesting and related.

Sweden says Stop Talking!

Bill Gates and Noam Chomsky (among thousands of others) are blocked by @Sweden 's Twitter account.

https://www.rt.com/document/591d4da2c3618870738b465e/amp
Walter Hinteler

Fri 19 May, 2017 05:56 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Bill Gates and Noam Chomsky (among thousands of others) are blocked by @Sweden 's Twitter account.
Quote:
Sweden's well-known official Twitter account is curated by a new Swede every week, and is run by the Swedish Institute. As a way of presenting a multitude of images of Sweden, the government agency allows each curator to freely express their own views and interact with the rest of the world using the @sweden Twitter handle.

Between May 8th and 14th the account was curated by Vian Tahir, an online security expert who helps protect people against online bullying and trolls. During her week managing the official Swedish Twitter account, she blocked a total of 14,000 Twitter accounts deemed to be involved in "threats against migrants, women and LGBTQ people", or suspected of right-wing extremist or neo-Nazi links.

After Tahir's week as curator ended, the Swedish Institute officially announced it was keeping the list of blocked users in an attempt to tackle a recent increase in racist and sexist abuse against the account.

"In our deep analysis of @sweden we have seen that three quarters of the online bullying comes from accounts that have never previously interacted with us," Jenny Ljung, head of the Brand Sweden Unit at the Swedish Institute, said in a statement on Sunday.

"This shows that in order to be protected against online bullying it does not suffice to block an account once something happens. We also need to take preventive measures in order to create a safe arena for our curators," she said.

But the move was harshly criticised after a copy of the list was leaked online, and was found to include members of the Swedish parliament, the Israeli ambassador to Sweden, newspaper Expressen's foreign correspondent Magda Gad, and the well-known Swedish author Jonas Gardell, among many others.

Upset Twitter users contacted the Swedish Institute demanding answers as to why they had been blocked for no apparent reason, and this week's @sweden curator, Tobias Johnsson, received an onslaught of abuse despite having nothing to do with the controversial blocking.
[...]
Responding to the criticism, the Swedish Institute said on Monday that it was unblocking all 14,000 users.

"SI has been contacted by a number of people who are upset because they feel they were blocked by @sweden on false grounds. We need to take a step back in order to more carefully review our blocking criteria," Jenny Ljung said.

"We truly apologise to anyone who felt blocked without cause."
Source: The Local
Lash

Fri 19 May, 2017 06:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Your narrative seems almost identical to mine, but always appreciative of added content.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 19 May, 2017 06:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Your narrative seems almost identical to mine, but always appreciative of added content.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 19 May, 2017 07:01 am
Well, there are some differences (see the original response by Swedish Institute here), but still no need to tell it three times.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 19 May, 2017 08:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
So what? If UI understand well, they can't write a tweet @Sweden but they can still tweet whatever they want. It's like putting some people on ignore here. That's not limiting free speech. Or am I missing something?
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 05:52 am
These days in American politics specifically, the more you know, the more you sound like a nutty conspiracy theorist.

Every time I reference the Deep State, I cringe a little, even though I know without a doubt that it exists.

Watching Bernie Sanders' presidential campaign from the viewpoint of a strong supporter caused a LOT of people to notice the work of the Deep State--it has been an education for a big group of people.

There is an unelected powerful group manipulating the public, and their secret is out. But what can be done at this point? They're practically operating in full view, but what can a country do to unmask individuals and take the reins of this crazy mess back?

A good explanation of things as they are: https://theintercept.com/2017/08/05/whats-worse-trumps-campaign-agenda-or-empowering-generals-and-cia-operatives-to-subvert-it/
Olivier5

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 01:31 pm
@Lash,
The concept of 'deep state' rings sinister but then, it would have been a good thing if the German 'deep state' had opposed Hitler's agenda.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 11 Aug, 2017 08:19 am
Watching a company's performance via internet searches has acquainted me with the power of SEO (for internet dinosaurs like me, Search Engine Optimization relates to your company, newspaper, etc showing up on Google, for example, when a searcher is looking for services you provide). What if your business never came up in Google searches?

Should Google have the power to essentially shut down your business?

Is it ok for US government entities to convince Google to diminish the ability for certain companies, including news outlets, to be accessed by searches?

I think this move is a horrible stab at the heart of free speech and a draconian shift toward authoritarianism.

Motherfuckers.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/08/09/google-censors-block-access-to-counterpunch-and-other-progressive-sites/
0 Replies