Rising fascism in the US

Lash

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 07:51 am
This generation has been witness to the defunding of education. The result is knowledgeable, properly educated teachers finally leaving the profession in unprecedented numbers. Uneducated, untrained people are now in classrooms, in front of 32-35 students when proper funding would have those class sizes at approximately 20 (this requires almost twice the teachers, paid at the rate commensurate with their education, rather than $10-$20k lower.)

The result is a vastly uneducated populace.

Our society will pay dearly for this crime.

Have you wondered what the defunding of our railway system might effect you? You’re about to find out.

Think twice about taking a train.

Ron Kaminkow is an engineer and union rep. If you have an opinion about the strike, you should know the situation happening on the ground.

https://youtu.be/g-07gRkTewQ

Record profits this year for bosses.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 07:52 am
@hightor,
"Sick leave":
Quote:
The proposal to give workers seven days of sick leave, which was championed by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and other liberal lawmakers, failed to pick up enough Republican support to overcome a 60-vote threshold set for adopting the measure and fell in a 52-43 vote.

Six Republicans voted for the sick leave measure: Sens. Mike Braun (Ind.), Ted Cruz (Texas), Lindsey Graham (S.C.), Josh Hawley (Mo.), John Kennedy (La.) and Marco Rubio (Fla.).

Sen. Joe Manchin (W.Va.) was the only Democrat to vote against the bill.

When I first read about these seven days, I'd thought, I misread.
Quote:
In Germany, employers are legally required to provide at least six weeks of sick leave per illness at full salary if the employee can present a medical certificate of being ill (which is issued on a standard form).
The salary paid during sick leave is partially refunded to employers.

After these six weeks, an employee who is insured in the statutory health insurance (Gesetzliche Krankenversicherung) receives about 70% of their last salary, paid by the insurance. According to § 48 SGB V (social code 5) the health insurance pays for a maximum of 78 weeks in case of a specific illness within a period of three years. In case another illness appears during the time when the employee is already on sick leave then the new illness will have no effect on the maximum duration of the payment. Only if the patient returns to work and falls sick again with a new diagnosis will the payment be extended.

Fathers and mothers who are insured in the statutory health insurance and are raising a child younger than 12 years also have the right to paid leave if the child is sick (Kinderkrankengeld). The insurance pays for a maximum of 10 days per parent and per child (20 days for a single parent), limited to 25 days per year per parent (50 for a single parent).

For patients with private health insurance, payments beyond the legally mandated first six weeks depending on the insurance contract.
Wickipedia

Originally, the health insurance companies paid the salary for those on sick leave, from 1885 onward.
Since 1900, it's part of the civil code of Germany.
hightor

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 08:24 am
@Lash,
Quote:
This generation has been witness to the defunding of education.

That's because of the tax cuts, accompanied by cheers and anti-government rhetoric, made by the last two generations.

Quote:
Our society will pay dearly for this crime.

And for many others. All those uneducated USAmericans are going to have a hard time getting a job – not a decent job, any job – as we sit by a watch industry after industry replace workers with robots.
Lash

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 09:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
This is what capitalism gone mad can do.

We’re about to see what end stage capitalism looks like under a rigid duopoly.

I’m glad someone here knows how repugnant no paid sick leave is. It’s servitude. Modern slavery.
Lash

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 09:19 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
This generation has been witness to the defunding of education.

That's because of the tax cuts, accompanied by cheers and anti-government rhetoric, made by the last two generations.

Surprisingly partisan and simplistic statement.

It has been done intentionally by Ds and Rs to encourage the privatization of education — in order to foist yet another cost onto families to further enrich our crooked politicians and their benefactors.

It’s almost completed.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 09:26 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
This is what capitalism gone mad can do.
Might be so.

But our capitalism at the end of the 19th century still knew the benefits of the past:
the history of continued payment in the event of illness began in Germany in the 12th and 13th centuries with the "Dienstmiete" (= employment relationship).
From the 14th century onward, miners then received first four, then eight weeks' continued payment of wages in the event of illness.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 09:53 am
A trend bears watching. New, drastic government overreach to silence protest.

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2022/11/20/trudeau-emergencies-act-freedom-convoy-00069651

Excerpt:

OTTAWA, Ont. — In a rare showing this week, Canada’s prime minister will publicly defend his decision to invoke never-before-used emergency powers to end a weekslong occupation of the nation’s capital last winter.

Justin Trudeau’s highly anticipated testimony will cap six weeks of hearings at a public inquiry that has witnessed extraordinary disclosures of the inner workings of police and government during the protest, which culminated in the Feb. 14 invocation of the Emergencies Act.

The act gave authorities broad new powers they used to freeze the bank accounts of protesters, ban travel to protest sites, prohibit people from bringing children to protests and compel tow trucks to clear out vehicles blocking Ottawa streets. Officials have said those measures, especially the ability to freeze accounts, also helped deter blockades at Canada-U.S. border crossings.

The public inquiry must determine whether Trudeau was justified in using the act. To date, it has heard and seen considerable evidence casting doubt on the Liberal government’s decision.

Police agencies have testified the emergency powers weren’t necessary to end the protest of pandemic public health measures. Senior government officials were shown to have harbored doubts. And perhaps most damaging to the government’s case was a revelation last week that Canada’s national intelligence agency did not find the protests posed a threat to Canada’s security.

In the final week of hearings, it will fall to Trudeau and several of his ministers and senior staff to prove their case: that they needed unprecedented measures to deal with an unprecedented situation.

The so-called Freedom Convoy protest made international headlines after hundreds of trucks rolled into downtown Ottawa in late January, occupying the city’s downtown core and disrupting life for residents.

The protest was a reaction to Trudeau’s decision to mandate Covid vaccination for truckers, but it quickly grew into something larger and more amorphous. Some of the protesters called for an end to all pandemic public health measures; others wanted to overthrow the government.

Online, far-right figures latched onto the movement. Protest leaders raised C$24 million through crowdfunding campaigns, including a large portion from American donors.

In Ottawa, businesses shut down amid diesel fumes and incessant honking from the trucks encamped on downtown streets. Elsewhere, protesters blockaded border crossings, including the Ambassador Bridge that connects Windsor, Ont. and Detroit, Mich., and is traversed by roughly 25 percent of the total trade between Canada and the U.S. each year.

The border blockades raised concerns about Canada’s reputation as a reliable trading partner, and Trudeau spoke with President Joe Biden about the situation on Feb. 11. Three days later, with the Ottawa protests entering their third week, Trudeau employed the Emergencies Act.

The act, passed in 1988, had never been used and is intended only for national emergencies that can’t be resolved by other means. Its predecessor, the War Measures Act, was most recently used by Trudeau’s father, former prime minister Pierre Trudeau, in response to a series of terrorist attacks by a militant Quebec independence movement in 1970.

In February, the opposition Conservatives called the Emergencies Act an “unprecedented sledgehammer” that was unnecessary to end the protests. Civil liberties groups also claim the Liberals overstepped.

I believe there’s a global move in process that seeks to indenture servitude. Nations are progressing toward this goal commensurate with the levels of governmental authority already allowed by citizens.

Relative freedom of speech is quite different in different countries; additional clampdowns are actively being sought.

Trudeau actually cut off individual citizens’ access to their own money in response to a protest. China does this as well. Quite chilling.

Be skeptical when governments say a protest was violent—and that was the reason draconian measures were used.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 10:09 am
@Lash,
From Lash's above source
Politico wrote:
One recent poll found a majority of Canadians are paying at least some attention to the hearings. But it also found most people’s minds were already made up about the Emergencies Act, and a majority believe the government “made the best choice it could” in deciding to use it.
Lash

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 10:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Are you sure?

I’d find a few independent sources for information. When the overwhelming power in the world is coalesced behind one message—and they use that overwhelming power to create and protect that message—you need to be skeptical about everything you hear.

I found this:

Nearly Half (46%) of Canadians Say they “May Not Agree with Everything” Trucker Convoy Says or Does, But ...
Sympathy for Convoy Rises to 61% among Canadians aged 18-34. Nearly Four in Ten Canadians Agree with a Lot of What Trucker Protests are Fighting For, Even if they Might Not Say it Publicly

https://www.ipsos.com/en-ca/news-polls/nearly-half-say-they-may-not-agree-with-trucker-convoy

When Canadians and Americans understand that ALL workers are in the same boat, and they accept the difficulties of strikes as necessary to our eventual rise together, that percentage of support will rise.

Some people are so myopic, it takes a while.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 10:30 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Are you sure?
You gave the link.
Lash

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 10:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I realize that.
I don’t automatically believe Politico knows or accurately reports how Canadians feel about it.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 11:14 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I realize that.

I didn't get it because you asked me if I was sure.
Lash wrote:
I don’t automatically believe Politico knows or accurately reports how Canadians feel about it
You posted a link to Ipsos from
11 February 2022-
Politico linked to a poll from November 4, 2022.

I don’t believe you know how Canadians feel about it, it seems, you even don't read your linked posts.

Lash

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 11:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Your post implies you believe every word in an article based on the source.

Is that true?
Walter Hinteler

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 12:06 pm
@Lash,
In my opinion, Politico has reported on the poll correctly. And linked it.

Where do you see discrepancies between the poll and the report about it?
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 01:01 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
partisan and simplistic

So dismissive. The reticence to levy taxes at a rate high enough to provide sufficient revenue isn't strictly a partisan issue. Many states rely on local property taxes to fund education. Look at the decline of the University of California system after the success of Proposition 13 in 1978. You can see similar declines in almost any big city school district as tax revenue fell. In my state there was a law which stipulated that 55% of local schools budgets would be paid by the state government with broad-based taxes. When people bitched about higher taxes, the state simply ignored the requirement – under both Democratic and Republican administrations. And it's not just education that has suffered. Maintenance of infrastructure is a great example as well – put it off, keep stalling, and then when a bridge falls down spend inordinate amounts of money when periodic inspection and repair would have kept the bridge together and be cheaper as well.
Quote:
It has been done intentionally by Ds and Rs to encourage the privatization of education...

Or charter schools might have been a response to the decline of public education which was already underway because of insufficient tax revenue.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 06:39 pm
Matt Taibbi is reporting on Twitter about government suppression and fabrication of news and speech on social media right now.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 10:43 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
“What you’re about to read is the first installment in a series, based upon thousands of internal documents obtained by sources at Twitter,” Substack writer Matt Taibbi darkly intoned Friday evening. But contrary to the melodramatic billing, the files mostly show what’s already been documented: that Twitter removed links to the Post‘s story and files from Hunter Biden’s laptop and struggled with how to react to the surprise revelation of the leak of files from a presidential candidate’s son.
Rolling Stone
Lash

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 11:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
You can read the Dem’s and colluding cronies at Twitter’s emails, trying to concoct cover up stories.

Is it treason to suppress news and information in an attempt to rig an election??
I guess we’ll know soon enough.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 3 Dec, 2022 02:02 am
During his visit to the US, French President Macron spoke with new Twitter CEO Musk about moderating the social network. Macron tweeted that he had met with Musk in the afternoon and had a "clear and honest discussion" with him.

Musk had pledged to crack down on terrorist and violent extremist content and to better protect children online, Macron wrote. The entrepreneur responded briefly, in French, with an "Absolument".

https://i.imgur.com/RxyqjM4l.jpg
https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/1598831785634168832
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 3 Dec, 2022 03:51 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Is it treason to suppress news and information in an attempt to rig an election??

No more than spreading false news and misinformation – which happens in every election cycle. "Vote rigging" implies tampering with election equipment, ballots, or voter fraud and none of that really amounts to "treason". Do you really want to accuse people of being traitors for exercising the right of free speech?