Rising fascism in the US

Walter Hinteler

Mon 28 Nov, 2022 10:51 am
@Lash,
The source of your quoete Facebook, Twitter dismantle a U.S. influence campaign about Ukraine you forgot to mention.

Every summary is subjective. I think the following paragraph of above report from August is also worth mentioning:
Naomi Nix in WP wrote:
Covert influence campaigns run out of Russia and Iran repeatedly have been targeted by social media platforms over the years. This crackdown is the rare instance in which a U.S.-sponsored campaign targeting foreign audiences was found to violate the companies’ rules.

The accounts are being taken down at a time when social media giants have been trying to crack down on disinformation campaigns about the war in Ukraine. But much of that work has been focused on fighting efforts by Russian authorities to promote propaganda about the war, including false claims about Ukrainian military aggression in the region or blaming Western nations’ complicity in the war.
Lash

Mon 28 Nov, 2022 03:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
It’s an equivocation that doesn’t change anything as far as I’m concerned.
Falsifying accounts — and their identity — makes my government just as guilty as other governments for being deceptive online.

It’s a bad omen of things to come.

But, thanks for the link. I overlooked it.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 28 Nov, 2022 03:40 pm
There is a group of people I know that have been forecasting events around a ‘New World Order’ or ‘Great Reset’ since 2017 (that I know of).

One of the events forecast is the buy-up by governments and their subsidiaries of arable land and farms, so that people will be dependent on government for food.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2022/11/compulsory-purchase-will-be-an-option-to-close-down-farms-ministers/

Excerpt:

There will be no compulsory purchases as yet, but if enough farmers do not come forward, ‘with pain in the heart’ we will have to move towards compulsory purchase, nitrogen minister Christianne van der Wal told MPs on Friday. ‘There is no better offer coming.’ The farms and other businesses which need to close will be told in January and ministers will assess if enough have come forward in the autumn. By removing some 2,000 to 3,000 sources of nitrogen compound pollution, nature will be able to recover, farms without proper permits can be legalised and construction can resume, ministers say.

Read more at DutchNews.nl:

Still bears watching.

oralloy

Mon 28 Nov, 2022 05:09 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
U.S. court: Mass surveillance program exposed by Snowden was illegal
By Raphael Satter

The court was lying. The surveillance program was entirely legal.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 28 Nov, 2022 05:10 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
constantly bad mouth the BBC and its reporters.

The BBC is tabloid journalism at its very worst. They deliberately lie to their audience.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 28 Nov, 2022 05:11 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
A lot of people on social media were censured, censored, and banned temporarily and permanently for arguing with the government narrative on vaccines, and for disputing numbers and data methodology used by the CDC, and accusing the CDC of being manipulated by the Trump and Biden administrations, for a few examples.
People who I am associated with across several platforms and I experienced these unwarranted intrusions into our interactions.
Plenty of law enforcement, teachers, school support staff, and medical personnel who didn’t feel comfortable getting vaxxed were fired.

Progressives are bad news for people who try to tell the truth.

If they still had the power that they had under their hero Stalin, progressives would still be dragging truth-tellers off never to be heard from again.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Mon 28 Nov, 2022 06:18 pm
@neptuneblue,
First of all, it's not a "game." When someone makes a claim, if he can't or won't back it up, his claim is of no value. This does not apply to you in this argument. I'm just saying it's a general principle.

It was refreshing to see someone provide the single piece of evidence I always ask for rather than whining about how I should be the one to support their argument. Now, having said that, you didn't seem to understand that I asked very clearly for one and only one quotation, but I guess I can't have anything. I ask for one and only one because people like to hide the poor quality of their evidence with quantity.

So, let's consider the thesis that a person whom tests show doesn't have Covid talking only to people who have been similarly tested, doesn't need a mask. In a perfect world, that might be true, but we don't inhabit a perfect world, so I think it's a poor policy, as you do.

This all seems to relate to your statement:

"Actually I believe it was you who pointed out Trump was a rogue character, not listening to the best and notable advise from people who could guide him."

I agree that Trump's thesis, while probably true in a perfect world, is not a good idea, but it hardly makes him a monster or an idiot, as many liberals claim. It seems a relatively minor fault. He did have "Operation Warp Speed" which successfully produced a vaccine in record time, send out hospital ships, converted companies who were in different businesses to manufacturing respirators, masks, etc. I think if you average his behavior regarding the pandemic, it comes out to a pretty good score. You may argue this point and I'll argue it with you if needs must, but any such argument will be long and involve a lot of research.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 28 Nov, 2022 09:59 pm
Why now that Julian Assange is close to death are US news outlets agitating for charges to be dropped?

Oh.

Answered my own question.
oralloy

Mon 28 Nov, 2022 10:04 pm
@Lash,
Is he close to death?

The reason why they support him is probably because they are leftist publications. Leftists tend to be pro-rape.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 29 Nov, 2022 06:33 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

It was refreshing to see someone provide the single piece of evidence I always ask for rather than whining about how I should be the one to support their argument.

It's also refreshing to see a Trump-supporting conservative who accepts the science behind vaccines and doesn't equate public health measures with "communism". For the record, oralloy accepts vaccine science as well.
izzythepush

Tue 29 Nov, 2022 06:48 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

For the record, oralloy accepts vaccine science as well.

That's only because he wants to use the cat flap.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 29 Nov, 2022 10:57 am
I guess we're supposed to rejoice at this victory for "free" speech?

Twitter is no longer enforcing its Covid misinformation policy

Quote:
Twitter said it will no longer enforce its longstanding Covid misinformation policy, yet another sign of how Elon Musk plans to transform the social media company he bought a month ago.

In 2020, Twitter developed an extensive set of rules that sought to prohibit “harmful misinformation” about the virus and its vaccines.

Between January 2020 and September 2022, Twitter suspended more than 11,000 accounts for breaking Covid misinformation rules and removed almost 100,000 pieces of content that violated those rules, according to statistics published by Twitter. The policy received acclaim from medical professionals: In an advisory to technology platforms, US Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy cited Twitter’s rules as an example of what companies should do to combat misinformation.

Twitter did not appear to formally announce the rule change. Instead, some Twitter users Monday night spotted a note added to the page on Twitter’s website that outlines its Covid policy.

“Effective November 23, 2022, Twitter is no longer enforcing the COVID-19 misleading information policy,” the note read.

Musk has promised to restore many previously banned Twitter accounts as soon as this week. It is possible that among the restored accounts will be some of the 11,000 banned under Twitter’s former Covid misinformation rules.

The Twitter, Tesla and SpaceX CEO tested the limits of Twitter’s previous policy in the early days of the pandemic. In March and April 2020, Musk used the social network to downplay the magnitude of the crisis and express frustration with how the pandemic had been handled. He repeatedly urged the end of the stay-at-home policies, despite public health officials’ insistence at the time that social distancing remained necessary to avoid a wave of infections that could overwhelm hospitals.

On a Tesla earnings call with Wall Street analysts in April 2020, Musk went off script to rail against Covid policies.

“I would call it, ‘forcibly imprisoning people in their homes’ against all their Constitutional rights, in my opinion, and breaking people’s freedoms in ways that are horrible and wrong and not why people came to America or built this country,” Musk said on the call. “It’s an outrage.”

Musk says he has twice had Covid. Despite his skepticism of public health policy, he has said he supports vaccination, even if he doesn’t believe the shots should be mandated. Still, he said in a New York Times podcast interview with technology journalist Kara Swisher in September 2020 that he would not get vaccinated because, “I’m not at risk for Covid, nor are my kids.”

When Swisher confronted Musk with the possibility that many people could die if they didn’t follow public health recommendations, he replied bluntly: “Everybody dies.”

cnn
revelette1

Tue 29 Nov, 2022 11:42 am
@hightor,
For some, it probably won't be openly rejoicing. It will be some kind of doublespeak.

I am hoping there will soon be a something similar to the former Twitter, not owned by anyone similar to the present Twit owner now.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 29 Nov, 2022 01:07 pm
@hightor,
Yes.

Voices with a different opinion or different experiences around vaccines and illness can speak in response to opinions they disagree with—instead of banishing people from social media.

Well done.
Lash

Tue 29 Nov, 2022 01:11 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
A lot of people on social media were censured, censored, and banned temporarily and permanently for arguing with the government narrative on vaccines, and for disputing numbers and data methodology used by the CDC, and accusing the CDC of being manipulated by the Trump and Biden administrations, for a few examples.

These were people on media sites owned by private companies, right? These companies can set their own terms of use.
Quote:
People who I am associated with across several platforms and I experienced these unwarranted intrusions into our interactions.

What "unwarranted intrusions" are you talking about? It's difficult to understand where you're coming from here. Most platforms have some sort of content policy. Enforcement of those policies isn't government censorship, it's part of the user agreement with the site.
Quote:
Plenty of law enforcement, teachers, school support staff, and medical personnel who didn’t feel comfortable getting vaxxed were fired.

They didn't get fired because they felt uncomfortable – they got canned because they refused to get vaccinated when it was a condition of their continued employment. Were you fired for refusing to get vaccinated or something? I'm trying to understand why you feel this situation is so intolerable and why you connect it to "fascism"..
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 29 Nov, 2022 01:23 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Voices with a different opinion or different experiences around vaccines and illness can speak in response to opinions they disagree with—instead of banishing people from social media.

Well done.
I'm sure you've read the Intercept report Left-Wing Voices Are Silenced on Twitter as Far-Right Trolls Advise Elon Musk (Elon Musk appears to have out-sourced decisions about who to ban from Twitter to the platform’s right-wing extremists.)
Lash

Tue 29 Nov, 2022 01:34 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks, I read the article.

It looks like what happened to Loder is the same thing that happened to hundreds of Bernie progressives, vaccine skeptics, and others who pissed off KHIVE types.

They mass report you, Twitter’s inner algo suspends you, you have to go through an appeals process, and if you didn’t break TOS pretty egregiously, you’re reinstated.

Loder’s buddies performed these mass flaggings.
Now, they can experience them.
They’ll probably be reinstated.
TOS and all.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 29 Nov, 2022 01:47 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Well done.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 29 Nov, 2022 01:53 pm
@Lash,
Quote:

People are thrown off of particular platforms if they violate the terms of use. That doesn't mean they are silenced on social media as they can simply avail themselves of other choices. Which is what many have done. And it's not "opinions" that are being flagged but false statements which concern public health, national security, or the democratic processes or ones which condone violence.

If Musk wants a wide open free-for-all, yes that's his choice. But if advertisers start(or continue) exiting in droves he may change his mind.
Lash

Tue 29 Nov, 2022 02:20 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

People are thrown off of particular platforms if they violate the terms of use. That doesn't mean they are silenced on social media as they can simply avail themselves of other choices. Which is what many have done. And it's not "opinions" that are being flagged but false statements which concern public health, national security, or the democratic processes or ones which condone violence.
Quote:
Plenty of people think our government is lying or incorrect about public health, national security, and democratic processes and myriad other issues—and that we have the right to express our disagreement with this enforced submission to the government narrative. The government’s anti democratic and unconstitutional collusion with the social media monopolies was impacting free speech in a way that I haven’t seen in my lifetime. I realize it may not last, but I have a spark of hope today where there has been none for a while.

If Musk wants a wide open free-for-all, yes that's his choice. But if advertisers start(or continue) exiting in droves he may change his mind.

Quote:
Que sera sera.

Edit: Incitement to violence, doxxing, and threats are always wrong and rightfully lead to permanent banning.

0 Replies