Rising fascism in the US

Lash

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 11:33 am
@hightor,
I think both terms are made-up horseshit to chill speech. The Trump and Biden administrations, the CDC, and Dr Fauci can all be legitimately accused of various errors in speaking—mistakes, lies, cover-ups, and manipulative speech.
Lash

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 11:47 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Never mind, I'm sure the rest of us will cope alright.

I was desperately praying that would be the case. Thanks, God!
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 12:08 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Re: hightor (Post 7284047)
I think both terms are made-up horseshit to chill speech. The Trump and Biden administrations, the CDC, and Dr Fauci can all be legitimately accused of various errors in speaking—mistakes, lies, cover-ups, and manipulative speech.

There you go. Quoting Bernie Sanders, AOC and Steve Bannon again.
Lash

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 12:23 pm
@blatham,
They’re quoting me. They check in every morning.
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 12:28 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I think both terms are made-up horseshit to chill speech.

The term "misinformation" has been around since the 19th century; "disinformation" is newer. Neither term was coined as part of any attempt to "chill" speech, both terms simply identify verbal accounts where people are trying to pass fiction off as fact; there's nothing sinister about it. Someone comes up to you and says, "Did you hear? A cocker spaniel won best in show at Westminster this year!" If you know differently you can suggest to them that they may have been misinformed. If you reject the term right off the top you'll need to come up with another way to express the exact same thing. Someone read or heard a statement (misread or misheard is also common), believed it to be true and shared it, not knowing that it was actually false. There ought to be a word...
Quote:
The Trump and Biden administrations, the CDC, and Dr Fauci can all be legitimately accused of various errors in speaking—mistakes, lies, cover-ups, and manipulative speech.

That's the nature of political discourse, not "errors in speaking" and would apply to any other government officials in any other country at any other time. In other words, it says nothing. You would need to point to specific instances, present the context, and explain how the particular statement is false, and if you consider it to be disinformation, identify the malicious intent. Just saying they're all liars is shallow and ineffectual.
Lash

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 12:39 pm
@hightor,
Error in speaking is me giving all of these people a pass on premeditated lying unless there’s overwhelming proof.
Real Music

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 12:53 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Error in speaking is me giving all of these people a pass on premeditated lying unless there’s overwhelming proof.

1. I hope you are applying the same criteria upon yourself.

2. If you don't apply the same standard to yourself, that can be seen as hypocritical.
hightor

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 01:16 pm
@Lash,
Quote:

Sorry, I don't get your meaning here.

So the people without clinical evidence arguing for using chloroquine and Ivermectin to treat covid — you'd give them a pass and write it off as a "speaking error"? I'm not sure how your new term is employed – couldn't "misinformation" and "disinformation" work pretty effectively in this case?
0 Replies

Real Music

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 01:44 pm
'These are her words, her lies'

CNN Anerson Cooper calls out Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene.

Published Feb 4, 2021

0 Replies

Lash

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 03:42 pm
@Real Music,
Yes, I greatly prefer that you and others also give me the benefit of the doubt and consider that I made an error rather than lied when I’m mistaken.
Real Music

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 04:06 pm
@Lash,
1. I suspect that we have all made errors from time to time.

2. Sometimes it is best to just acknowledge the error and move on.

3. When someone says something with zero (evidence) of being true, that is a different matter altogether.
Lash

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 04:07 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Even then, I'm not buying the "Fauci Is Evil" campaign.

What I remember him saying is to wear a mask, wash your hands frequently, use social distancing if you MUST be in a close environment, and get the vaccine.

How is that mis- or dis-information?
I don't actually need a doctor to provide common sense to me.

I wonder if you’re able to understand the difference in “Fauci made several mistaken statements during the covid era” and “Fauci is evil.”

Similar verbal mistakes were made by other people, but they suffered penalties at their jobs and on social media. Fauci’s mistakes are swept under the rug. Some people were right about things Fauci was wrong about, and they were fired for it.

I’m just a little furious that facts about Fauci’s outsizeded responsibility for Covid were suppressed.

neptuneblue

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 04:19 pm
@Lash,
I....don't give a ****.
Lash

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 04:34 pm
@neptuneblue,
People who don’t give a **** — don’t ask questions.
Let me help you.
Back on ignore.
neptuneblue

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 04:35 pm
@Lash,
Ok.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 04:37 pm
There's a limit to giving the benefit of the doubt, do it too many times and you look like a bloody idiot.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 05:54 pm
@neptuneblue,
Well, ignoring quotations from people other than Trump, and brief quotations without any context, it sounds like he's correctly saying that there are situations in which masks are appropriate and situations in which they're not.

Usually when I ask for an example about person X, I get a link to a large article with many characterizations of what person X said without the actual quotations and many brief quotations from person X without context, neither of which proves anything.

It sounds like one of the things Trump is saying in the article you quoted is that when you're nowhere near another person, there's no pressing reason to wear a mask, and that's correct. Can you give me just one quotation (one means one) with full context criticizing the use of masks in a situation in which one really should wear a mask? Please don't merely link me to another article, just briefly give such a quotation and the context. If you think that the previous article contains such a quotation use that.

People who are full of sh*t often point to very vague descriptions as evidence. Can you give me one specific quotation in a situation in which Trump incorrectly says a mask isn't necessary?
oralloy

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 06:22 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
3. When someone says something with zero (evidence) of being true, that is a different matter altogether.

Progressives do that all the time.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 06:24 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
That's what Brandon does, he requests proff 9f what is already established common knowledge.
He wants you to waste your time finding, quotes, links, citations and articles he's never going to read.
It's called sealioning, and Brandon is the worst offender on A2K by far.

The problem is, what is "established common knowledge" to progressives is entirely fiction.

Asking someone to back up their claims is a polite way of challenging untrue claims.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 27 Nov, 2022 06:35 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Is there anyone on this planet other than yourself that you think CANNOT be legitimately accused of various errors in speaking--mistakes, lies, cover-ups, and manipulative speech?