Israeli firm bids on European wall to keep immigrants out...

swolf

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:09 am
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=39998

Quote:

THE NEW WORLD DISORDER EU to build wall after blasting Israel's 'European hypocrisy is as rank as it is blatant'

Posted: August 17, 2004 1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Aaron Klein © 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

Just one month after the U.N. and EU launched a furious campaign against Israel's security fence, culminating in the International Court of Justice ruling that the fence is illegal, the EU announced it's planning to build a separation fence of its own, and invited Israel to participate in the construction.

The fence is being built to separate recently added EU members Poland and Hungary from their new neighbors - Russia, Belarus and Ukraine. The EU said the fence is necessary to "prevent the free movement of migrants seeking to enter" EU territory.

Israeli companies that specialize in the construction of fences and security systems will participate in tenders to build hundreds of miles of fences along the EU's new eastern border.

"It's incredible the EU has no problem building a fence just to keep illegal immigrants out, but when the Jewish State builds a security fence as a last resort for the purpose of keeping terrorists out and saving Israeli lives, we are blasted by them and the U.N.," a spokesman for Ariel Sharon told WorldNetDaily. "Makes you think, doesn't it?"

Israel's publicly traded Magal Security Systems, which participated in the construction of the West Bank security fence, is expected to sign a cooperation agreement for building the new EU fence and its attendant command-and-control systems.

The ultimate contract is estimated to be worth several hundred million dollars. Each kilometer of Israel's fence cost $1 million to build. Bases, sophisticated transit points, and observation and command-and-control systems cost $2 million per kilometer.

In July, the U.N.'s high court ruled Israel's security fence, which is credited with keeping suicide bombers out, violates international law and must be dismantled.

The court, which Israel maintains has no jurisdiction over Israeli matters, ruled "[it] is not convinced that the specific course Israel has chosen for the wall was necessary to attain its security objectives."

A week later, the U.N. General Assembly overwhelmingly adopted a resolution demanding that Israel comply with the world court decision and tear down the security fence. Most European countries voted against Israel.

"European hypocrisy is as rank as it is blatant," Daniel Pipes, director of the Middle East Forum, told WorldNetDaily. "And the EU wall is not even for security reasons, just economic ones."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,136 • Replies: 149
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:10 am
Isn't that something.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:13 am
McGentrix wrote:
Isn't that something.

You mean kind of like refining hypocrisy into an art form or something?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:14 am
Do you have any links to this story from a reputable news source?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:16 am
Well, the idea that they would put a fence up moreso than the hypocricy of it. Although, as the article notes, it is rather hypoctitical of the EU...
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:22 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Do you have any links to this story from a reputable news source?

I regard Worldnet as a reputable source.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:24 am
I just checked in to see who swolf hates today....oh ****.....I got venom on my freshly laundered shirt!!!!

Dammmit!!!! that's going to leave a stain....
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:25 am
For all I care, you can regard the Bible as a science text.

But for the rest of us, it is rather suspicious that this story hasn't been reported anywhere else.

Worldnet does seem to keep you people busy with something to gripe about. Maybe I will just let you carry on.

I was just a bit curious if there was something real behind this story.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:28 am
My reliable source that I cannot name says its actually an Australian firm bidding, not an Israeli firm.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:35 am
Cav,

You are just saying that because you are anti-australic.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:51 am
good fences make good neighbors....
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:55 am
I have not read anything about this in particular. However, several weeks ago I did read an acticle that talked about the proposed building of the fence.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 06:55 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Cav,

You are just saying that because you are anti-australic.

I am just anti-fences. I like to see the neighbours naked, plus that damn 'Rabbit-Proof Fence' movie really got me down.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:17 am
How about a fortified fence along the Mexican and Canadian borders and at all ports of entry?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:18 am
Mexico and Canada share a border?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:23 am
a big thick one that used to be The United States Of America....
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:36 am
Now, considering this story is true (I have no reasons to doubt the reliability of the source), I just have a couple of questions: 1) Is the fence build on EU land? 2) Is it's sole purpose to keep illegal immigrants out - for what I know, the main concern was not as much about illegal immigrants as well about terrorists, drug traffickers etc.

I personally do not 'believe' in this sort of fence. From a logical approach it's just money thrown away, meaning that a country like Ukraine could as well join the EU in ten years. And for what I know it does harm a lot of people living in the boarder region of these countries (Poland - Belarus, Poland - Ukraine etc.), people who depend on each other in the form of trading and so on.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 08:03 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I just checked in to see who swolf hates today....oh ****.....I got venom on my freshly laundered shirt!!!!

Dammmit!!!! that's going to leave a stain....

Hah!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 08:06 am
Quote:

I am just anti-fences. I like to see the neighbours naked, plus that damn 'Rabbit-Proof Fence' movie really got me down.

I agree. Fences are only good for keeping dogs and small children in, not others out.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 09:48 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Quote:

I agree. Fences are only good for keeping dogs and small children in, not others out.

The Israeli fence seems to be doing a fairly good job of keeping the murderers out, which is what it was meant for.
0 Replies