Feminism (as seen by the GOP)

ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 May, 2016 09:24 pm
@glitterbag,
I have had that experience as well, at least re his posting his arguments re rad fems, instead of to the rest of us. I'm a plain fem.

You talkin' to me?
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 06:21 am
RexRed is a pussy (beside the burning fire)
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 06:28 am
follow me
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 11:57 am
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 01:56 am
@TheCobbler,
i would say quite the opposite
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 02:06 am
@maxdancona,
feminism: Feminism is a range of political movements, ideologies, and social movements that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve equal political, economic, personal, and social rights for women.[1][2] This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. Feminists typically advocate or support the rights and equality of women.[3]

claiming being anti feminism because you don´t agree with the behavior or believes of some individuals part of the feminist community is as illogic as me being anti-black equality org members cause some claimed revenge against´t while people long time ago
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 02:44 am
@maxdancona,
why it all ends talking about children when talking about feminism.... we believes in men and woman equality.. period... that involves men having same right as women to raise their children... yes you are right: one of the aspects of machism is considering the woman the one in charge of children and it backfired men... machismo harm men is this aspect instead of women. The thing is: women are paid less for the same job, not to talk about not being given the job in the first place... yes its not good but its not the important thing here... women are being sold, killed, abused, mutilated and alienated all over the world.... as Enma Watson said there´s not a country in this world where women have the same rights as men... no one!!! that means half of the world population is being discriminated by the other half... that´s it... it not about money, it´s about me being told to be careful with alcohol cause a woman getting drunk was worse than a man... its about waking up the morning after and being called whore because i slept with a man just for sex.. its about being considered cold and unnatural for not wanting to have children and being focused on your job.... its about hearing a woman saying women are your mother or sisters to get to a man´s heart to stop his machinist ways.... once we get all that a ugly memory... lets talk about children´s custody and, incidentally, we could talk about discrimination and inequality in custody and economic arrangements in lgtb divorces
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 04:59 am
@TheCobbler,
Feminism is as silly as is machism...I also believe that a male has no business in debating womens own problems.
momoends

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 05:43 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
its not.... and men have business for sure in debating women problems... but they don´t seem to care at all
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 06:30 am
@momoends,
I usually debate things that I know first hand. I don't know what is like to be a women. Another thing entirely is debating gender equity but such topic should not be connected with feminism. Feminism and Machism both have no place in an enlightened XXI century society.
momoends

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 06:42 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
feminism Feminism is a range of political movements, ideologies, and social movements that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve equal political, economic, personal, and social rights for women.[1][2] This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. Feminists typically advocate or support the rights and equality of women.[3]
machismis the sense of being manly, the concept associated with "a strong sense of masculine pride...[with] the supreme valuation of characteristics culturally associated with the masculine and by implication some say, a denigration of characteristics associated with the feminine."[2] It is associated with "a man’s responsibility to provide for, protect, and defend his family."[3] In revisionist American political usage, William Safire says it refers to the "condescension of the swaggering male; the trappings of manliness used to dominate women and keep them 'in their place.'"[4]

its not the same
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 10:45 pm
@momoends,
The issue I have with modern feminism is that it has become a one-sided political ideology where the narrative is more important then facts. I agree with much of what you are saying, but not all of it. I am happy to discuss any specific issue based on facts.

This idea that Emma Watson proposes that "one half of the world population is being discriminated by the other half" is simplistic and it has a problem.

Our ideas about feminism are White European ideas that we are now pushing on other cultures. Emma Watson is a White woman from a Colonial power (that subjugated many other countries) now judging the cultures of other countries as seen through her White European eyes. I don't think she has the right to do this for any culture but her own historically oppressive culture.

This is an example of White women saving Women of color from Men of color. I find this troubling.
TheCobbler

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 07:13 pm
@maxdancona,
Yea and women who wear sleeveless tops and pants deserve to be raped. If they had worn a long dress and berka and had been at home taking care of 8 kids they would have been just fine.

Black women deserve to be raped by black men because they are black. How dare they walk around being black?

And any white woman who tries to help black women deserves to be raped too. When will white women learn their place? White and black women need to get raped and shut up about it.

(CYNICAL)

I thought I would paraphrase your post Max.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 08:19 pm
@TheCobbler,
You are not paraphrasing me at all Cobbler. I don't agree with any of these statements... in fact I think that you singling out Black men as rapists is rather troubling. You are just making this crap up yourself.

(You are also misusing the word "cynical" but who am I to quibble.)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 12:27 am
@TheCobbler,
Spot on. +1
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 07:43 pm
@maxdancona,
i don´t recall her mentioning the black population at all... secondly: i don´t know the colour of your skin nor where you live but there´s not such white woman feminism point of view but human rights respectful and devoted point of view... anyway, if you consider fighting against horrible practices such as girls ablation or a year long confining punishments as oppressive cultural attitudes.... let´s be all oppressive.. whether the women we´re fighting for are black, white, ^moreno^ or ^yellow^
http://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2015/dec/03/women-legal-discrimination-worldwide-consequences
maxdancona

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 08:13 pm
@momoends,
Emma Watson is judging every other culture of the world.

In Western Culture, there is the narrative that women have been oppressed by men. And, Western Cultures (including both England and the US) have changed themselves to reach the Western idea of equality in the way that the West sees equality.

This is all good and fine for Emma Watson... she is part of Western Culture, she understands the Western Culture intimately (as we all do) and she has every right to make changes to her own culture.

But she is going much much further. Emma Watson claims that in every culture in the History of the world men have oppressed women. This includes African Cultures and Asian Cultures and Indigenous American Cultures... all of which Emma Watson has judged to be oppressive to women.

Do you disagree that this is what she has done?

I don't think Emma Watson has the right to pass judgement on other cultures, especially given that she is from a culture that was part of the slave trade... and has subjugated indigenous peoples on at least three continents.

Do you accept the fact that there are women who are opposing Western feminism because in their view it is just another form of Colonialism? Don't they have a voice too?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 08:24 pm
@maxdancona,
I do not know who Emma Watson is, or what her takes are.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 08:30 pm
@momoends,
Colonialism is when one culture with superior economic and military strength pushes its cultural values onto a culture with less power. Colonial powers have always judged the cultural practices in the cultures they overpower to be barbaric.

Emma Watson is simply continuing the pattern of a colonizer. Can you tell me how what she is doing is any different than the Spanish Priests who tried to stamp out barbaric practices of indigenous Americans?
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sat 28 May, 2016 09:14 pm
@maxdancona,
first: if a certain social group is deprived of the rights detailed in the human rights lists and subdued to another social group... call it being oppressed, summited or discriminated....but call it narrative is not acceptable
second: i fail to find the part of her speach where she states that inevery culture in the history of the world men have oppressed women.... she afirmes there´s no country in this world where women are treated in equality, which is based on the figures and statistics given by un and unesco
third: if you are a white american citizen, you are part of a colonialist culture, that oppressed and subjugated indigenous cultures too
forth: usa was the main demander of slaves, spain (being some of the closer and easier part of the coast of africa an spanish colony, france owning the biggest part of the continent) was the main supplier.... we were in our past conquered by arabs, french, romans, vikings....
following your reasoning nobody has the right to defend their believes among others...
fifth: those women opposed to european feminism have the right to have an oppinion on their own...( that´s what feminism fights for) but in several countries that right is non existent because they are women... they have a voice, of course...
and finally,if raising your voice to fight agaisnt women being treated as a somebody else´s property or being considered inferior to any men is a form of colonialism instead of a cause to fight for... you are blinded by your privileged way of living