Guys? You're not helping (Palin sexism watch)

nimh

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 12:25 pm
The McCain campaign is making a lot of hay about sexism in the political attacks and media coverage on Sarah Palin. A lot of it is false alarm - it seems intent to use the sexist defense whenever scrutiny gets too critical. In fact, it ironically seems to be engaging in the victimisation/identity politics that Republicans have spent the better part of thirty years decrying.

That said, there's no doubt that there is a lot of sexism in the reactions to Palin out there. And it's bugging the hell out of me. I'm not seeing it much at the top level - not from the Obama campaign or Democratic politicians themselves, with a striking exception or two. But I see a lot of it from the grassroots, so to say. In blog comments and forum posts especially. And the t-shirt industry etc, who are only interested in making a buck out of the whole thing, has jumped on the bandwagon. I guess you cant blame Dems or Obama supporters for the sexist ads - although on the other hand, somebody must be buying those tees, no, why else would they keep on advertising them?

Below are some of the examples that got my goad. Meanwhile, the feminist Shakesville blog has an ongoing feature called Sarah Palin Sexism Watch - and they're at #16 now...

http://www.canow.org/canoworg/images/2008/09/16/palinsexismwatch3.jpg

http://www.canow.org/canoworg/images/2008/09/18/img.jpg

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/political-pictures-barack-obama-more-qualified-bitch.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 26 • Views: 26,734 • Replies: 380

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 12:36 pm
Yes, this kind of stuff is disgusting and infuriating with no way to combat it. I have been made aware of a couple of white supremacist sites that have been this blatant re race and Obama but I haven't seen much, if any, racism directed at Obama on most sites. But the sexist garbage being thrown at Palin is prevalent, insidious, and so far over the top I can't imagine what kind of person thinks that it is okay. I wonder if such vileness is more prevalent on the Left or the Right?

It will surely test the lady's mettle though. Anybody who can stand tall and tough against this kind of vile, contemptible, and small minded crap should make us a fine president of strong character and courage some day.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 12:37 pm
@nimh,
Disgusting! Both sides needs to have a bit more kindness. All this does is create more divisiveness.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 12:48 pm
@nimh,
It's the same kind of attention-seeking, juvenile behavior of Internet trolls and shock-jocks.

It parallels the stupidity of trying to rile people up over Obama's middle name.

10% of people will always act like idiots.

Call 'em idiots, but don't try to argue with 'em. "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."
kickycan

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 12:53 pm
Where can I get one of those t-shirts?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 12:55 pm
@nimh,
I must be the odd one again, I think that this sort of humour has an honesty to it which is helpful. But then I don't give a **** about people being offended by truth. Honest communication is much more important than peoples feelings, and the only reason we have this offensive humour is that it touches on truth that has been forbidden to be said in polite society.
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 12:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
What truth do you mean Hawkeye? That people are saying the truth about what they really think? Or that what they are saying is the truth?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 01:06 pm
@DrewDad,
I do agree that some participants of this forum abuse their rights/previleages by their posts.( Not excluding my poor self)
But A2K is a forum to educate the people.
Critical idiots like me who seek knowledge are disillusioned.

Misusing the podium is detestable, despicable indeed.
But insulting the ignorant participants like mypoorself will not auger well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 01:11 pm
I don't think those cartoonists, so called, think they're helping.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 01:12 pm
Can you imagine the sound and fury that would follow anybody doing a 'comedy' routine like this re Obama? Or even Hillary? But never a murmur of protest when it is leveled at Sarah Palin:

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 01:19 pm
@nimh,
Quote:
Guys? You're not helping (Palin sexism watch)
Not helping, no... but there's no help anyway. Not only will idiots always exist; but if they didn't and Obama's campaign behaved perfectly: The Sexism charge would still be at least as effective as the Racism charge, and both will be used whether they're called for or not.

Interestingly; the sweetest, and probably least sexist person I know, raised the question of 'what does a mother do when the country and her baby need her at the same time?' She wasn't being mean, or sexist, or partisan; she just rationalized that she herself would choose her baby every time. I watched a feminist (Congress woman maybe?) protest an essentially similar question as if the question was a naked sexist attack on women in general and a question of this nature should be considered completely irrelevant. But is it?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 01:24 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Yes.

It is sexist.

However, considering how Hillary Clinton and Clinton supporters were treated by the American press/American public, I don't expect anything better for Sarah Palin and her supporters.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 01:25 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Can you imagine the sound and fury that would follow anybody doing a 'comedy' routine like this re Obama? Or even Hillary? But never a murmur of protest when it is leveled at Sarah Palin:

You do realize you posted this on a Thread in protest that references a Blog site in protest, don't you?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 01:29 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Yes.

It is sexist.

However, considering how Hillary Clinton and Clinton supporters were treated by the American press/American public, I don't expect anything better for Sarah Palin and her supporters.
Hillary Clinton didn't have a newborn baby to care for, so I don't think that's a level playing field. The sweet lady I referenced most certainly isn't sexist, I assure you.
LionTamerX

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 01:31 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:

Of course I can imagine it. I've also seen and endured them. Are you trying to say that this is something new ? Unprecedented ?

Even George Washington suffered from "scurrilous" attacks from the press, and as presidents go, we'll never see another, worthy of polishing his boots.
cjhsa

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 01:34 pm
@nimh,
Drill baby drill! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Guess that borrowed that one from Slick Willy eh? LOL!!!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 01:36 pm
@LionTamerX,
We aren't talking the run of the mill carping and finger pointing and shady innuendo here though. We are talking about blatant, crude, viscious, vulgar stuff that is intended to reduce a person to dog poop on the bottom of somebody's shoe. I do not believe that was done, nor would it be tolerated in George Washington's day or even 30-40 years ago.

When did we, as a people, become willing to tolerate those who are so crude and cruel?
LionTamerX

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 01:44 pm
@Foxfyre,
Jeanette Rankin was called everything under the sun when she ran for office in 1912... It's nothing new.

I will agree that the language used in this day and age is appalling, but that speaks more to a massive decline in our culture, ergo education.

I am in no way defending Ms. Bernhard, who is vulgar and talentless.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 01:44 pm
Two truisms here; we'll always have "idiots," and we're always going to have people who will find the lowest denominator in crude and obscene political graphics. It's really not humour, nor does it relate what we need to be talking about for our country.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 01:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
this stuff (obscene humor at the expense of celebs) is always part of the discourse, and it needs to be. The only thing that changes is how far underground it runs. Taking a moral stand against it is fine, it is also irrelevant.