Pet names for pets

patiodog

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 05:20 pm
"Doobie dog" became "the Duck Hunter" when she jumped into a formidably flowing river this weekend and chased a mallard about a quarter of a mile downstream. Fished her out just before the river banks become fenced off and it runs under a freeway.

The stupid mutt'd never swam more than ten feet in her life before Sunday.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 11:26 pm
Yow!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 11:39 pm
I have been brushing my boyfriend's cat's teeth. How exactly this chore came to be mine I do not remember, but it is doable. At first the cat hates you passionately, but after a few weeks it just gets used to it. The first day or two she should only taste a dab of toothpaste from a finger, only later be attacked with a toothbrush, for second or two only. This gets longer and longer, until you and your loved one truly enjoy sharing those moments together (ok, that's a lie). but the cat can get reasonably used to tooth brushing without scratching your eyes out. if she eats dry food, once in two or three days should do. if not, it should be tried every day. well, good luck with that! and resolve!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 11:45 pm
Dag - you are?!? Wow, brave woman.

Pdog - how old is the Duck Hunter?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 11:49 pm
i only do it once in a blue moon now that Malti switched to dry food only. it still is hugely entertaining. she is a big slow cat though, not much harm.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 11:50 pm
I don't dare!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 11:52 pm
i just wonder, there must also be some teeth-cleaning biscuits for cats. they make them for dogs, so it should be possible. and if possible, somebody surely thought of making and selling them. anyone knows?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 11:54 pm
there are, but I don't think they work as a replacement for brushing.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 11:55 pm
i really think it is unnecessary unless the cat has some condition, like gingervitis or whatnot. so littlek, leave poor screech alone, he has just enough on his plate to chew on.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 12:07 am
yep, he does.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 10:29 am
Man, brushing a cat's teeth? That woman's a bigger man than I (and I used to bathe the toothy clawy little monsters).

The Duck Hunter will be two in July. She's a little less intelligent than a clump of grass, but very, very friendly (unless you're a duck, or crazy, or drunk, or wearing a hat).
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 11:30 am
Hats, huh? My dogs don't believe anybody in a hat is up to good things. Very suspicious, hats.

They even bark at me when I wear a hat. It really bothers them. (And, of course, was added to the list of ways to tease them, along with calling out "Come In" just to get them ruffled up.)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 11:37 am
I thought all dogs hated hats because mine do. But I wear one at the humane society sometimes and none of the dogs seem freaked out by it (any more than they usually are, anyway). We've got weird dogs, Piff...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 12:05 pm
The funny thing is, the girls are absolutely sure they're right on this issue. This weekend they chewed up one of Mr.K's favorite hats... delicately eviscerating the plastic adjustment pieces, chewing them thoroughly, then gnawing on the suede brim... it was a relatively cool baseball cap, luckily NOT the ridiculously expensive hat from C.C. Filson's.

Maybe it's a commentary on hat hair?
Maybe because it rhymes with "cat"?

(Do you go to the Humane Society often? Is it still off Western? We used to live in Kinnear Park and could hear the dogs barking at night if the wind was blowing up from the water. Very sad.)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 12:38 pm
Bellevue, every Saturday. It is very sad. I try to just do my thing with the food and the poop, play with the stressed-out ones a bit if I've got time, and get on out. I have a lot of admiration for the people working there; they're doing a lot of work for not-a-lot of money...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 12:49 pm
That's great, patiodog. I used to do that regularly -- volunteer at the humane society -- and I'm glad I did, but it was tough. Wanted to take them all home.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 12:59 pm
I am too emotional. My family has had to drag me out of the building because I'm sobbing and can't quite see where I'm going. I am a basket-case at the Humane Society.

I give them a little money, sometimes supplies, and I make sure that we've fully paid all of our licenses. It is just too sad.

I'm glad you're able to help, both of you.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 02:15 pm
The gf is like you, Piff. She keeps saying she wants to volunteer there, but she'd be a basketcase the whole time and we'd end up with thirty animals in the house. I can be a hard cynical bastard when I need to be, so it's no problem ;-) .
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 02:23 pm
A hard cynical bastard who volunteers at the humane society... I think your cover's blown, dude.

Seriously, I'm wading through so much depressing crap that it's really nice to see something good. Kudos to you.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 02:27 pm
I would have a hard time volunteering at the humane society too.

Pdog - my Bootsie was the same way until she grew up. She still will bark at someone she doesn't know who's wearing a hat if they're approaching us. Ah, 2 years is a good age for a dog.
0 Replies