DNC vs Sanders. Is the DNC right to block Sander's access to DNC voter data?

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 11:18 pm
@ehBeth,
Interesting, while I am familiar with such things being insured on some occasions it is not my experience that a majority of such things are. In all the thousands of contracts with such vendors I have entered insurance was never involved.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 11:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I see a lot of payouts in this area - provision/maintenance of data.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 11:21 pm
@ehBeth,
Is it to cover SLA (service level agreement) penalties?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 11:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Some is - I'd say it's a minor factor for us. Other insurers do more of that level of coverage.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 11:29 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'd read about five articles about the issue, but it seems the one I preferred was incorrect.

It does appear the guys who did the naughty may have stepped afoul of a federal law. I'm sure Bernie will handle it appropriately.

But, yeah. Wasn't as innocent as a different article made it appear.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/da7e5f2765814506a2519ea03055c1e6/dnc-barring-sanders-team-accessing-data-after-breach
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 11:36 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
No, but it's still their server. Their server, their rules.

Though I thought this sidestepped the issue of whether or not they should behave this way (rather than whether they can) I was wondering what it is that they can do, and from my research their contracts actually do not allow them to suspend access this way:

Quote:
Either party may terminate this Agreement in the event that the other party breaches this Agreement; the non-breaching party sends written notice to the breaching party describing the breach; and the breaching party does not cure the breach to the satisfaction of the non-breaching party within ten (10) calendar days following its receipt of such notice.
Exhibit A., ΒΆ 6(b) . 14) The Agreement does not permit either Party to suspend its performance of the Agreement prior to terminating the Agreement in accordance with the provision above.
15) The Agreement does not permit either Party to terminate or suspend the Agreement without notice, or without providing the breaching Party with the requisite opportunity to cure.

From the Sanders suit: http://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000151-b72f-d1ae-add5-f76f14db0001
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 11:46 pm
Thinking back to Nixon and his problems with accessing demo. information I am not surprised that Lash thinks Bernie is in the right in stealing Clintons information. She is after all a conservative, but she should remember that when it became known to the public that Nixon did this he was driven from office. If Bernie dosent have any better ethical virtues maybe he shouldent be president. Ethics start at the top.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 11:47 pm
@RABEL222,
Hillary supporters lecturing Bernie supporters on ethics is fine irony.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 11:52 pm
@Thomas,
This is like my lunch sitting in the refrigerator at work. The lunch belongs to me, but it is in a shared space. I still think any of these metaphors are silly.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 08:53 am
I don't think any real damage was done. They restored Bernie's access already, so I don't think they do either. Just a way to give him a bad headline going into tonight's debate.
revelette2

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:00 am
I personally think Bernie Sanders is behaving in an appalling manner which would not be acceptable if the shoe was on the other foot and the DNC really had no choice but to question and investigate this matter. No matter how you slice it, the Sanders camp stole strategic information which really no one has any way to determine if they copied it through a camera or not. Nevertheless after the Sanders sued the DNC and after cooperation from the Sanders camp, the DNC has given access back. In my opinion, they should went to court with it and let a judge make them do it. I mean the DNC and the Hillary camp are already accused of favoring the Hillary camp so they may as well have continued on until they got to the bottom of it.

To put it in yet another analogy, if someone leaves a hundred dollar bill left on a kitchen table in a family, if someone else in the family takes it, then they are taking something that doesn't belong to them regardless of it having been left out.

Sanders regains access to voter files after bitter fight over data breach
Miller

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:20 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
... if someone leaves a hundred dollar bill ... on a kitchen table in a family, if someone else in the family takes it, then they are taking something that doesn't belong to them regardless of it having been left out.

How would anyone know who the individual was, who was entitled to the $100?

(Maybe I don't understand your statement.)
engineer

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:31 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

To put it in yet another analogy, if someone leaves a hundred dollar bill left on a kitchen table in a family, if someone else in the family takes it, then they are taking something that doesn't belong to them regardless of it having been left out.

A better analogy might be if someone left their room unlocked and there was a jewelry box on the dresser. It's valuable, takes a little effort to get it and there is no question it's not yours.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:39 am
@edgarblythe,
They restored access because their contract disallowed them from suspending the access this way. They were in violation of their own contract with the Sanders campaign.
engineer

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:43 am
Hopefully both Clinton and Sanders learn to lock up their data on their own servers and maybe not use the private function of the DNC program in the future.
revelette2

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:51 am
@Miller,
I should refrain from analogies, never was any good at it. Engineer had a better one. But anyway, guess I was thinking in our house, most likely the hundred dollar bill would be my husband's. Either way, the one who picked it up, would have picked it up knowing it was not his/hers and decided to pick it up anyway.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:53 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
They restored access because their contract disallowed them from suspending the access this way. They were in violation of their own contract with the Sanders campaign.

I guess that is true as you already proved, nevertheless the investigation is still ongoing and the Sander's camp is cooperating.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:53 am
@engineer,
They will still need a vendor like this to share data (not all the data they use they collected) but yeah, they definitely need to run their own servers for this as well. IT should not be making victors in politics.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 10:16 am
Snopes be good.
http://www.snopes.com/bernie-sanders-campaign-data-breach-controversy/
georgeob1

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 10:21 am
@Thomas,
This is the second time I have found myself agreeing with Thomas in the past two months. The Sanders campaign is focused on a temporary remedy the DNC applied in response to a wrong action on the part of Sander's campaign staff and in effect blaming the DNC for failing to prevent these wrongful actions