DNC vs Sanders. Is the DNC right to block Sander's access to DNC voter data?

Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 07:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
As far as I am concerned it's another of many politically motivated slights o f Sanders intended to keep people from voting for him.

In your view, what should the DNC have done about the transgressions by the Sanders staffers?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 07:38 pm
@Robert Gentel,
That is one heck of a stupid statement.

To top everything else off, they reveal that they don't seem to have a backup copy of their own information.

They look like fools. Whiny fools.

Not what I expected to see from that team.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 07:38 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
What did the "Sanders team" do? Who were the team members involved?

They broke into the Clinton account on the DNC server and copied data that wasn't theirs to copy. It belonged to the Clinton campaign.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 07:45 pm
@Thomas,
They should have fired the vendor they hired in the first place who caused the breach when Sanders told them about it months ago.

But, they created this breach for this very purpose so they ignored Sanders' warning.
Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 07:47 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
They should have fired the vendor they hired in the first place who caused the breach when Sanders told them about it months ago.

Maybe they should, but just because the vendors left Clinton's cookie jar open, that doesn't mean the Sanders campaign has to steal Clinton's cookies. These are separate matters; the first is no excuse for the second.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 07:53 pm
@Thomas,
It doesn't excuse it, but it mitigates the hell out of it.

I disapprove of entrapment by law enforcement - and I disapprove of this smarmy, desperate latest addition to the disgusting corruption of DWS and HRC in railroading the Dem party and the country into the coronation of HRC.

Just one more ploy.

And at the end of it, what would you do - or be expected to do - if this was your campaign?

Fire the guy.

He fired the guy.

I'm glad as hell he's suing. I hope it opens up all the bullshit the DNC has been perpetrating against his campaign.

I've never seen a David and Goliath story like this. I never imagined it could possibly happen. We're all watching it and I'm so surprised to see those who want the man who is for the people to be squashed by the ogre.

Live and learn.
Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 07:56 pm
Independently of who's guilty of what regarding the particulars, this affair also raises a more general issue for me. This is a minor SNAFU that seems utterly manageable. Bernie Sanders, as top manager of his campaign, has shown no oversight of his staffers and now reacts to his own campaign's wrongdoing by throwing a hissy fit against other people. If that's how he reacts in a minor case like this, how can I trust him to handle another 9/11?

Before the cookie-jar affair, my preference ran mildly in favor of Sanders; it doesn't anymore.
Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 07:57 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I disapprove of entrapment by law enforcement

What evidence can you offer that this was entrapment?
engineer

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:06 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

No it doesn't. I can look around my workplace and see dozens of opportunities to steal from my employer and they aren't doing anything to stop me, yet, somehow I am able to not steal from them. I can find access to lots of data that doesn't pertain to me, but again somehow I manage not to go snooping where the corporation has told me not to go. This was not a one off, it wasn't as if the data just fell into the Sanders campaign's lap. It was an orchestrated campaign by a Sanders supervisor directing his staff to steal data. The Sanders team is clearly in the wrong here and not slightly in the wrong, completely in the wrong. I guarantee you if I stole from my company, no court in the world would say it was entrapment because they left something out where I could steal it.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:08 pm
@ehBeth,
He did, he fired the guy in charge and May fire some more.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:11 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I can't believe what I'm reading. Your argument is analogous to saying: "If a woman walks alone through the park at night in a mini-skirt, that doesn't excuse a man raping her. But it mitigates the hell out of it." No it doesn't! In either case.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:11 pm
@Thomas,
The DNC was point blank told by the Sanders campaign that the glitch was there. They were worried about their material being viewable by the Clinton campaign - and they asked the DNC to fix it.

The DNC left it as it was. For months.

The court will be hearing this. I hope they see it as I (and a hell of a lot of people on Twitter and Facebook) do.

Not a smoking gun, but pretty damning.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:14 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
So the way forward for the Sanders campaign seems clear: Just provide the explanation, assure the Clinton campaign you'll play nice in the future, and this can be over in a day or two. I don't understand why the Sanders people are making such a fuss. Their lawsuit against the DNC is nothing but horrible PR.

The days chosen for this are critical, coinciding with the final debate. The CEO of the vendor in question is also a Hillary supporter and not someone who is an impartial arbitrator here.

But the real kicker is that they are denying Sander's access to his data, data he put in there.

My big takeaway is that this kind of vendor is the problem, the campaign-owned data should not be combined into one data store with non-impartial gatekeepers.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:15 pm
@Thomas,
In the first place, they should have heeded the Sanders complaint about this weeks ago, instead of letting it ride until they could find grounds to accuse somebody. He fired the most culpable person and could fire more. But, to assume without proof that Sanders is using Hillary's information is wrong. To bring down the whole Sanders organization like this is a political calculation and uncalled for,
Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:15 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
The DNC was point blank told by the Sanders campaign that the glitch was there. They were worried about their material being viewable by the Clinton campaign - and they asked the DNC to fix it.

The DNC left it as it was. For months.

Assuming that's true --- how is it evidence that the DNC entrapped the Sanders campaign?
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:19 pm
@Thomas,
They did not break into it, it was left wide open multiple times by an incompetent vendor even months after the Bernie campaign reported the data breach to the DNC.

This is like as if this site suddenly exposed everyone's private messages to everyone and they read some. Perusing some of the data is wrong but this is not a "break in". The incompetent vendor repeatedly left the data accessible to all.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:22 pm
@Thomas,
It's not a minor issue, this cripples his campaign at one of its most critical junctures. Whether or not you fault him for it calling it a minor issue is giving it short shrift. The blocked access is a big enough deal to kill the Sander's campaign.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:24 pm
@Thomas,
You got me there, bro. It's not iron-clad evidence. It's what I believe based on the facts I related to you - plus additional behavior by the DNC designed to help the Clinton campaign and hurt the Sanders campaign.

I feel confident most unbiased people would think the same thing.
Thomas

@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
But, to assume without proof that Sanders is using Hillary's information is wrong.

The Sanders staffers exported the data from the Clinton part of the server and saved it to their own part. The DNC has proof of that, and the Sanders campaign is not disputing it. How is that not enough for the DNC to take action against the Sanders campaign?

edgarblythe wrote:
To bring down the whole Sanders organization like this is a political calculation and uncalled for,

The DNC will restore access when the Sanders campaign explains itself and assures the Clinton campaign that all Clinton data has been deleted. This is a matter of days, during which Sanders give all the speeches he was planning to give yesterday and his staffers can knock on all the doors they were planning to knock on yesterday. How does this amount to "bringing down the whole Sanders organization"?
Robert Gentel

@Thomas,
It is nothing like that at all, them breaking in is a much much more serious wrong and not having broken into the servers does mitigate their wrongdoing significantly. Engineer's analogy makes a lot more sense.
0 Replies