DNC vs Sanders. Is the DNC right to block Sander's access to DNC voter data?

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 04:32 pm
DNC penalizes Sanders campaign for improper access of Clinton voter data

Bernie is threatening to sue, and many are accusing the DNC of further favoring Hillary.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 16,207 • Replies: 333

Lash

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 04:58 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Bernie sues their asses.

He's been cheated long enough. Now we'll see just how deep HRC's corruption runs.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/sanders-campaign-threatens-to-sue-dnc-216942
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 05:01 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Why did they allow him to run as a candidate for the party to begin with?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 06:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Statement from the Bernie Sanders campaign: https://berniesanders.com/press-release/statement-jeff-weaver/

Quote:
Two months ago, shortly after our digital vendor who conducts modeling for our campaign told us that there was failure in the firewall that prevents campaigns from seeing one another’s data, we contacted the DNC and told them about the failure. We were concerned that our data could be compromised and we were assured at the time the firewall would be restored.

Instead, we found out two days ago that once again, this sensitive and important data was compromised because the DNC and its vendor failed to protect it.

We have invested enormous campaign resources in acquiring the rights to use this proprietary information. But the DNC, in an inappropriate overreaction, has denied us access to our own data.

Let me briefly discuss the three issues involved here.

First, this is not the first time that the vendor hired by the DNC to run the voter file program, NGP VAN, has allowed serious failures to occur. On more than one occasion, they have dropped the firewall between the data of competing Democratic campaigns. That is dangerous incompetence. It was our campaign months ago that alerted the DNC to the fact that campaign data was being made available to other campaigns. At that time our campaign did not run to the media, relying instead on assurances from the vendor that the problem would be resolved. Unfortunately, the other day, the vendor once again dropped the firewall between the campaigns for some data.

Secondly, after discussion with the DNC it became clear that some of our staffers irresponsibly accessed some of the data from another campaign. That behavior is unacceptable to the Sanders campaign and we fired the staffer immediately and made certain that any information obtained was not utilized. We are now speaking to other staffers who might have been involved and further disciplinary action may be taken. Clearly, while that information was made available to our campaign because of the incompetence of the vendor, it should not have been looked at. Period.

Thirdly, rather incredibly, the leadership of the DNC has used this incident to shut down our ability to access our own information, information which is the lifeblood of any campaign. This is the information about our supporters, our volunteers, the lists of people we intend to contact in Iowa, New Hampshire and elsewhere. This is information that we have worked hard to obtain. It is our information, not the DNCs.

In other words, by their action, the leadership of the Democratic National Committee is now actively attempting to undermine our campaign. This is unacceptable. Individual leaders of the DNC can support Hillary Clinton in any way they want, but they are not going to sabotage our campaign – one of the strongest grassroots campaigns in modern history.

We are announcing today that if the DNC continues to hold our data hostage, and continues to try to attack the heart and soul of our campaign, we will be in federal court this afternoon seeking an immediate injunction.

What is required here is a full and independent audit of the DNC’s handling of this data and its security from the beginning of this campaign to the present, including the incident in October that we alerted them to.
revelette2

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 06:23 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I think they are right to question and perhaps shut down his access, after all, until they investigate the incident for themselves all they have Sander's words to back up his statements. I mean in the real world, we don't use an honor system, you have to have some kind of verification to back it up. If someone was fired already and the Sander's camp sees a need to possibly fire more people, then clearly something was going on.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 06:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I just came to post this same statement.
As far as I am concerned it's another of many politically motivated slights o f Sanders intended to keep people from voting for him. Timed for a day when he received some big endorsements and announced his 2 million donations, surpassing Obama's.
revelette2

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 06:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah, perhaps even the Hillary camp put those staffers in the Sanders camp to sabotage his campaign, perhaps they were even part of the whole glitch in the data system in first place, waiting to spring a trap with stooges in place.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 06:30 pm
@revelette2,
I will not argue with you about it. You obviously are a Hillary no matter what type of voter.
revelette2

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 06:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
Nope, there you are wrong. I come reluctantly to Hillary, wanted Biden more than anyone. It is just all those Hillary conspiracies from fervent Sander's supporters are sometimes over the top.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 06:42 pm
@revelette2,
I think I don't know anything.

Now matter how much I read.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 06:48 pm
Another opinion: http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/i-wont-vote-for-hillary-the-establishment-hits-below-the-belt-to-sabotage-sanders/

There is a growing number of people who are now #BernieorBust which means they will not vote for HRC under any circumstances. It seems they believe HRC's minion DWS may have set this vendor in place to accomplish a hit on Bernie's campaign as Robert alluded in the OP.

Looks like this hurts Clinton.

I guess we'll see.
engineer

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 07:02 pm
@Lash,
So the vendor put a defect in place to encourage the Sanders team to steal Clinton's data? Does anyone care that the Sanders team is the thief here, that they violated the Clinton campaign? I think the penalty is unwarranted, but Team Sanders is in the wrong here. That shouldn't be ignored.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 07:14 pm
@engineer,
What did the "Sanders team" do? Who were the team members involved?

Exactly who is guilty of what and exactly what are they guilty of?

I think until you are comfortable answering those questions, we might want to step back from claiming the narrative.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 07:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, I meant no matter how much I read.

Of course I don't know enough, but I'm not a clear fan of the DNC folks either.

Trying for a word, libertijibbits.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 07:21 pm
@Lash,
From the OP with Sanders' statement in it.

Quote:
Secondly, after discussion with the DNC it became clear that some of our staffers irresponsibly accessed some of the data from another campaign. That behavior is unacceptable to the Sanders campaign and we fired the staffer immediately and made certain that any information obtained was not utilized. We are now speaking to other staffers who might have been involved and further disciplinary action may be taken. Clearly, while that information was made available to our campaign because of the incompetence of the vendor, it should not have been looked at. Period.

The Sanders campaign has admitted guilt, so I'm pretty comfortable saying that they did.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 07:23 pm
@engineer,
from the link in the OP

Quote:
Sanders spokesman Michael Briggs said four Sanders campaign staffers accessed Clinton data, and that three of them did so at the direction of their boss, Josh Uretsky, who was the operative fired.

Mr. Sanders needs to take a look at a team that includes staffers that thinks this is o.k.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 07:26 pm
I'm advocating for getting all the information before coming to a conclusion. Smile
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/263730-report-sanders-campaign-told-dnc-of-data-issue-months-ago

It looks VERY much like the DNC and the Clinton campaign orchestrated this, waiting for some weak low-level staffer to look at what they were showing for a few months.

That makes a big difference to me. It does to a lot of voters as well as per Twitter trending on Bernie and the DNC.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 07:29 pm
I am not going to get any deeper into the arguments about it. It is orchestrated to hurt Sanders' campaign and that is all I am saying on the topic.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 07:30 pm
@ehBeth,
I figure this is a deathknell - but not sure. Man can regroup, but those guys were shits. So cute.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 07:33 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
DNC vs Sanders. Is the DNC right to block Sander's access to DNC voter data?

Sure. The DNC caught Sanders staffers with their hands in Clinton's cookie jar --- after it left the jar open in the first place, sure, but that doesn't excuse the staffers stealing Clinton's cookies. So now the DNC is keeping the Sanders people out of the kitchen until they promise they won't do it anymore. Sounds reasonable to me. It also sounds very temporary, based on the following bit from your article.

The Washington Post wrote:
The DNC has told the Sanders campaign that it will not be allowed access to the data again until it provides an explanation as well as assurances that all Clinton data has been destroyed.

So the way forward for the Sanders campaign seems clear: Just provide the explanation, assure the Clinton campaign you'll play nice in the future, and this can be over in a day or two. I don't understand why the Sanders people are making such a fuss. Their lawsuit against the DNC is nothing but horrible PR.