DNC vs Sanders. Is the DNC right to block Sander's access to DNC voter data?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You are adding the possible crimes. I am considering them separately. Theft as theft, not theft as theft + b/e.

I see police dropping b/e charges for random reasons, but theft charges (which carry higher penalties) remain - and stick.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:25 pm
@Lash,
You think evidence of a possible serious ethical breach by Sanders' staff is a positive for his campaign?
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Ok but is breaking and entering to steal more severe than stealing something unsecured to you or not? The original point was that the severity of this ethical breach is less than it would be if the data was properly secured and they circumvented this. Do you really not agree with that?
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:26 pm
The Clinton campaign is begging "the court" to restore Sanders' database to him "tonight," because he is raising massive money and votes off of this latest ploy by the DNC.

(eyes wide, shakes head amazed at this boggling turn of events today and tonight)

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/bernie-sanders-campaign-dnc
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:27 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The big problem is that the DNC is not an unbiased referee.

No, but it's still their server. Their server, their rules.

maxdancona wrote:
I don't see a conspiracy, but I also don't see them as a fair arbiter either. Is anyone at the DNC being fired for their mistake in this?

That's between the DNC and the Clinton campaign. Only the Clinton campaign has suffered damage because of the DNC's mistake so far.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:28 pm
@ehBeth,
So far it seems to have actually helped his PR. Many prominent Democrats have accused the DNC of "putting their finger on the scale" and some are threatening to leave the party over it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:29 pm
@ehBeth,
When you see the headlines about money raised over this incident, you'll have no doubt it is a positive.

People are tired of the transparently corrupt way the DNC has supported Clinton and suppressed democracy in this primary season.

I can't wait to see how much was donated tonight.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:30 pm
@Thomas,
Calling bullshit on that noise.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:32 pm
@Lash,
I don't think that this has been a good day for the Sanders campaign. I hope that we can recover... but I don't think we should be cheering for this.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:33 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I don't think the b/e adds anything to the ethical breach of theft. The materials stolen aren't any more or less valuable because of how they were accessed.

The theft is the major breach. b/e is a minor detail (from my perspective - which could well be impacted by my work)
Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:33 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Calling bullshit on that noise.

"Call away", as they might say in The Producers.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:35 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

When you see the headlines about money raised over this incident, you'll have no doubt it is a positive.

those new donors would certainly be people whose ethics I'd have to consider/question
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:37 pm
@ehBeth,
I thought that the breaking and entering thing (a crime against physical property) was a silly metaphor. You aren't claiming that there is really a "breaking and entering" charge here, are you? I just searched and there is no real legal discussion of this charge.

Looking at data that you aren't supposed to look at has nothing to do with the real legal definition of "breaking and entering". What next. will we say that this was a case of "datanapping" or maybe "data assault and battery"....

This doesn't make any real sense or even shed any light on the nature of the offense.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:38 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I don't think the b/e adds anything to the ethical breach of theft.

Suppose people enter your house without your permission. They sift through your things, find nothing that interests them, and leave without taking anything. Are you okay with that? No ethical breach?
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:38 pm
@ehBeth,
I'll take them gladly over Hillary Clinton's bloodless, ghoulish paymasters.

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:42 pm
@ehBeth,
I guess we just disagree here, I think Thomas makes a very good point in his answer to this post but if you don't see it that way we just see things differently here.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:42 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
Suppose people enter your house without your permission,

This is a silly metaphor. This wasn't a private house... it was a shared space run by a third party, and they didn't need to enter, they just looked in an open door. I think there was an ethical breach... but the "breaking and entering" metaphor is foolish.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:44 pm
@maxdancona,
He is not making that analogy anymore here, he is making an analogy to eBeth's opinion that breaking and entering is itself not an additional ethical breach to stealing. I thought it made a lot of sense in that context (not comparing it to the voter data issue, but to the ethical conversation it spawned).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Quote:
Clinton campaign manager Robby Mook told reporters in a conference call the Sanders staff had taken vital data that constituted a "strategic road map" for the campaign's voter turnout models and strategies.

"The Sanders campaign stole data from our campaign," Mook said. "There is some damage here that cannot be undone."

The Sanders campaign said the breach of the confidential files, which contain information such as past voting and donation history, was an isolated incident and blamed it on the DNC's software vendor, Washington-based NGP VAN, for dropping the firewall between the various Democratic candidates' data.

The DNC rents access to its master voter list to campaigns, which augment the data with their own information. The firewalls are supposed to block campaigns from spying on their rivals.

An audit released by the Clinton campaign showed the breach was more extensive than the Sanders campaign described, with at least 24 occasions when the Sanders campaign "saved" lists of Clinton data, from four different users.

"We are asking that the Sanders campaign and the DNC work expeditiously to ensure that our data is not in the Sanders campaign's account," Clinton campaign spokesman Brian Fallon said.

I can see at least three insurance teams shitting bricks right now, waiting to see who presents a claim - and there will be several big claims made (if not made public).
Thomas

@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
This is a silly metaphor. This wasn't a private house... it was a shared space

Nope. The part of the space that contained Clinton's data wasn't shared. It was supposed to be proprietary. Independently, I was responding to ehBeth's point that breaking and entering makes no ethical difference.