DNC vs Sanders. Is the DNC right to block Sander's access to DNC voter data?

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 09:28 pm
@Lash,
Though the connection to the CEO of this vendor and his support for Hillary has been established I do not think that what you are accusing them of has had any evidence to support it.
Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 09:32 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
"Breaking" and entering requires damage in entering.

No.

Quote:
The breaking element does not require anything to actually be broken. The moving of anything blocking the entrance is sufficient. So, if a door is unlocked, opening it is still a breaking.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 09:35 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yes, I copped to a lack of hard evidence to Thomas further back in the thread. It currently ferments as a provocative allegation awaiting proof.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 09:37 pm
@Thomas,
They were down the line people, not Bernie. They get fired, everything gets back to normal.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 09:38 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Damn, I just read an account of what the access logs said. The claim is that people on Sanders campaign made specific searches for people based on their scoring data (how likely the Clinton campaign thought they were to vote for Clinton).

If this is true (and there is no reason to believe it is not true), then this is a pretty significant ethical breach on the part of the Sanders campaign.

Even as a strong Sanders supporter who believes the DNC is unfairly tilting the race in favor of Hillary, I have to admit that this is a big deal.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 09:47 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
the fact that they did not break into the system and that it was left open to them (after they warned them that it was open) mitigates their wrongdoing and it absolutely does.

I'll have to disagree with that. Theft is wrong even when the item/materials stolen were in plain sight - and charges hold up well in those cases. Car thieves don't get off because the cars were left with keys unlocked/with keys in ignition. Jewel/art thieves don't get off because serious jewels/art pieces were in plain sight/easily accessible. They are charged and convicted. And then insurers go after them (in big cases).
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 09:47 pm
@maxdancona,
It is definitely unethical, no doubt about that. And the claims I've heard that they were merely probing to see how vulnerable their own data was do not make much sense.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 09:56 pm
@ehBeth,
Mitigate means to make less severe, it does not mean to absolve. I am amazed that three intelligent members in this thread keep interpreting the word as absolve. It's still wrong, yes. The point is that it is less severe than breaking into the system would be.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 09:59 pm
@Thomas,
So it wasn't breaking and entering was it? There was no impediment to them that they removed.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:03 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
It's what I believe based on the facts I related to you -

In other words your opinion and based on your hatred of the Clintons.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:05 pm
@RABEL222,
ad hom, Rabel
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:11 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I am telling you that I do not agree that it does not mean that the charge would be less severe. I am not interpreting it as absolve.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:11 pm
This is fascinating. I think the party is showing signs of a real fissure. Dems talking to one another about splitting to the Independent party.

They're saying if the Dem process is so warped and rigged, we should all go Indy. Including Bernie.

Many more self-identifying Dems are sending RT vows not to vote for Hillary.

I think it's too late for registration though.

Fascinating!

My daughter walked in and said "Have you heard..." LOL. She'd already sent more than I did to his campaign.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:12 pm
@maxdancona,
If that is true, it's a big yikes.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
DNC vs Sanders. Is the DNC right to block Sander's access to DNC voter data?

As HDK might say, what difference does it really make? I.e. who in hell is gonna vote for somebody 400 years old for president??
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:15 pm
In seeking to better understand this move's impact after Thomas' question asking me how it harmed Bernie I came across this from the Bernie suit:

Quote:
In its lawsuit, filed in Federal District Court in Washington, the Sanders campaign argued that the party had no right to terminate the licensing agreement that allowed the campaign access to the voter file. The campaign estimated that the loss of access would cost it $600,000 in contributions, a serious blow because it has “been financed primarily with contributions from individual donors rather than Political Action Committees.”

“However, the damage to the campaign’s political viability, as a result of being unable to communicate with constituents and voters, is far more severe, and incapable of measurement,” the suit said. Party representatives said they had not seen the suit and thus could not comment.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/12/18/sanders-campaign-disciplined-for-breaching-clinton-data/

There is more information in this article, my understanding is that modern campaigns depend on this kind of mass data. I think that in the future politicians will have to keep improving their own IT and bring more of the expertise in house. This vendor has data they need that they did not originate but they really should have their own databases instead of storing all the data they added with this vendor.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:18 pm
@ehBeth,
I find that position even more baffling as it is obvious that committing one crime in order to commit another would be more severe than committing just the one and all legal systems I know of do not consider them equal.

Stealing something unsecured is just not charged the same as breaking and entering and then stealing something.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:19 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
their own databases instead of storing all the data they added with this vendor.

this was referenced in the link in your OP where it talked about much of the data on the Republican side no longer being controlled by the party

Quote:
Maintaining the master list is one of the prime responsibilities of the national party committee, particularly at a time when other outside political groups and super PACs are increasingly taking on roles once served by party committees.

For that reason, the security lapse could deal a blow to the DNC. Already, in Republican politics, outside organizations have been working to compile master voter lists independently from the Republican National Committee.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Political campaigns are slowly becoming technically adept, I expect that to become more common.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:21 pm
@maxdancona,
It is a really big deal. It has sealed Sanders' presidency.

*grin* You read it here.