The Amazing Race is back!

husker

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 08:40 am
did not lol
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 09:04 am
Talk about your ugly American. I'm embarrassed as a citizen of this country that Jonathan is wandering around the planet offending people wherever he goes.

The more I see Gus, the more I like him.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 09:11 am
Hayden was at the airport here yesterday - came home to visit the parents for XMAS
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 11:36 am
Jonathan is reporting he does not abuse Victoria, and they are still together (after the show).

He also said he was "playing up" a role on tv. YEAH RIGHT!!!

That's why producers had to tell him to cool it down.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 01:08 pm
I honestly don't know how much the producers do influence how people act, but the thing I'm finding disappointing about the show this series is how much they focus on BAD BEHAVIOR instead of the nice supportive stuff going on, say between Gus & Hera, and the nice long distance dating couple. I actually kind of miss Ma & Pa for that very reason!

The "over breeding" comment made me explode. I have to figure they aren't going to win, because they want you to like the team who wins. They'd better not, or I'll have to beat the mess out of that clueless bee-atch.

And scmuck face and Victoria. Well, they couldn't have scripted a better villain. He makes Colin look calm and quiet. Everyone on the show and those of us at home hate him. I can't believe he won't have some glorious come-uppance!
He just wouldn't let it go with Gus & Hera out- thinking him by going to the travel agent's! One thing you have to say about Colin from last series, he was smart and canny. This guy is an idiot and offensive. He had calmed down while in Africa but he sure blasted off last night. So glad the cab driver dumped him.

Poor Lori & Bolo. But what's up with this "To Be Continued"--the only time they've used that is when they're showing 2 episodes back to back! Does this mean we may have much more to go before they get to a pit stop and maybe they'll catch up? Hmmm.
0 Replies

sophie99

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 06:54 am
Couldn't agree more with the posted opinions of Jonathan.. Evil or Very Mad My cheers when he got kicked out of the taxi may have irritated the neighbors...

Not sure about the "to be continued" either. I was wondering if they were going to catch up too. I also thought that maybe there are going to be penalities again...something about whether or not they took their "hot-rods" to the train after the castle challenges, walked or took a taxi??
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 01:13 pm
Sophie, I wondered as well--can't recall if it said that you had to take one type or another of transport. More than one team over the years has been penalized because of that!

The website does indicate that this was the first ever "cliffhanger" in the series; they do try to keep it fresh with new snags like: The Yield, limit on the number of times one teammate can do Detours, the non-elimination rounds with the money loss--all of these are relatively new additions! Keeps it fun.
0 Replies

sophie99

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:09 pm
Well, it will be fun to see what happens next week. I also like the changes, but then, after all, it is the only emmy award winning reality show!! Very Happy
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 02:35 am
Very sorry to see Gus and Hera go. There isn't another pair that I care about--in a positive way. The rest are either boring or obnoxious.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 03:22 am
the abuse continues
In this episode, Jonathan continued to abuse Victoria.

Why does she stay married to a man who does nothing but abuse her? His behavior is degrading to all women. He wants her to have his children. I hope she is watching all the episodes and gaining perspective on how poorly he treats her -- and divorces him before any children are brought into the unhealthy relationship.

Gus and Hera were genuinely nice people. I'll miss watching them on the race.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 06:58 am
She told "Extra" (tv show) that she knew Jonathan was "acting."

That's bull and a half. When you're put under that much stress and are competing/racing on top of that ...there's no way the frustration you get when you perceive your partner as slow/taking too long is fake. He may have used it as an excuse for screaming/belittling her, but I don't buy the "it was just acting."

The father/daughter team was a good one. You could tell it brought them closer.
0 Replies

sophie99

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 12:19 pm
Agreed. It is obvious that Jerkathon is not bright enough to be acting. His true colors are definitely glaring through. And, I also hope they do not reproduce...

Gus & Hera were a great team. I guess the least offensive to me now are Kris & Jon- the long-distance daters. They seem to be pretty savvy in playing the game...get along..and I like the appreciation they have for the countries they visit. In comparison to the model twit & her ignorant comments.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 12:59 pm
Yes, I'll miss Gus and Hera too. They were smart competitors and stopped and smelled the roses (or should I say Drank the beer!).
But I guess I knew they couldn't last much longer; Gus couldn't keep up with the 20-30 somethings.

I like Kris and Jon the best now (apart from the strictly entertainment value of Lori and Bolo). They're the long distance dating pair. They have been so helpful and supportive to one another, have never "performed" as badly as Jonathan (has anyone in the history of this show?), and so far, don't engage in dirty tricks.

I guess I have to hope niceness doesn't ruin their chances!
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 01:17 pm
I'm getting increasingly more disappointed in this show.

I'm sorry to see a tendency toward gross-out events such as downing a
bowl of soup so spicy that just about everyone vomited at least some of it
and that goblet of pig's blood. Ack!

The water polo event was ridiculously easy, dooming Gus and Hera who
chose the paddle option. Not that I would have wanted to see Gus in a
Speedo...

I could have done without the obvious product-placement of having the
contestants get a clue via AOL at an internet cafe.

On the other hand:
* the shots of Budapest were gorgeous.
* I get great pleasure from screaming at Jonathan
* it's fun to see whether Lori and Bozo will somehow get on a train to
Albania
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 06:30 pm
Yes, the soup and blood events bore an uncanny resemblance to Fear Factor, except FF doesn't allow vomiting. On the other hand, both the soup and the blood are part of Hungarian tradition.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 06:44 pm
Yea, it's that Transylvanian connection of blood and soup!

But as far as I recall, George, they've always had the eat something icky task:
Last year it was the ton of caviar; there was the incredibly nasty soup with the living tiny octopi in it (that was the all time lose it for me! I love octopi but not to eat!). I'm sure there's been one in nearly everyone!

Maybe it's because they've done two this year, so close together.

Anyway, they couldn't have asked for a better villain than Jonathan. All the audience hates him, the other teams hate him, even Phil seems to hate him. I want him to lose in a horrible and embarrassing way!
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 11:34 am
I was also shocked to see the abuse and yelling this season. I hope that guy goes next round, it's too frustrating for me to watch. Then again, I do want the dude to be humiliated somewhere along the way for his behaviours.

That thing about the live octopi is nasty. Octopi are very smart; heck they're one of the smartest invertebrates out there.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:31 pm
Ray, I'm with you! Love the leggy little devils.

Net the keeper at Monterey Bay Aquarium and he had hilarious stories about their red octopus! They can squish themselves down to go through an opening the size that their eyeposts are. So this enterprising octopus would climb out of the tank, grab the food, and gobble some stuff before sliding back in!

Anyway, I'm with everyone about having some giant come-uppance for Jonathan and soon! Really horrible. Maybe someone will yield him and cause him to come in last!
0 Replies

shellfish

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 07:11 pm
"I'm sorry to see a tendency toward gross-out events such as downing a bowl of soup so spicy that just about everyone vomited at least some of it and that goblet of pig's blood. Ack!"

I agree. I don't think they had quite so vile eating competitions in the beginning. It is like Fear Factor or Road Rules now in that way.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 08:57 pm
I must be sick because I was going to be sad if Jonathan and V were eliminated. Didn't matter since it wasn't an elimination round, but it's no fun w/o them.
0 Replies