Odd Premier: Under the Dome

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 02:56 pm
I forgot it was on. Did everybody else also forget to watch? That was the quietest premiere of a big new show I have ever encountered. Not one word about it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 9,240 • Replies: 19
No top replies

engineer

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 02:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's filmed locally so there was a lot of coverage. Reviews were good.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 03:01 pm
I googled the following:
Under the Dome' makes strong summer debut
CBS' adaptation of Stephen King's "Under the Dome" performed phenomenally for the network on Monday night.

According to CBS, the series pulled in 13.14 million viewers with its first episode, making it the most-watched summer drama premiere on any network since 1992.

The series, created by "Lost's" Brian K. Vaughn and produced by King, will stretch the story of a town cut off from the world by a mysterious dome-shaped force field across 13 episodes.

"It’s a potentially interesting way of dramatizing and heightening the state of small-town claustrophobia," says Time's TV critic James Poniewozik. "What if this little place, which seemed like the whole world, suddenly essentially became the entire world? Would your community become self-supporting or stifling? Would it be uplifting or a nightmare?"
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 03:07 pm
@edgarblythe,

we've (well, mostly i've) been talking about it here.

after reading the book -- twice, i was disappointed with the character and plot changes.
i'm willing to give it another chance this week...
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 04:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
For myself I enjoyed it enough to have my nook downloaded the book yesterday and told other family members that they might find the show worth viewing.

You can not beat King as a story teller of stories that can be transfer to film.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 05:39 pm
Does anyone remember an old twilight zone show where a block was cut off by aliens and they ended up turning on each others as a result?

With the aliens stating at the end that we will not need to conquest them as they can be make to turn of themselves out of fear.

That old show came to my mind as I watched Under the Dome last week.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 06:05 pm
I enjoyed it as a way to pass time. The book was reasonably entertaining.

But compared with what the premium channels are producing these days...(Game of Thrones; The Newsroom; The Borgias...) Under the Dome is minor league.

(I will watch it though.)
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 06:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
For anyone into SYTYCD...the group this year is the most talented I've seen in a couple years now. I think they will be very special.

Opening group dance was spectacular...the best opening number for SYTYCD I've ever seen.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 06:10 pm
I don't pay for cable service.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 06:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't pay for cable service.

You've mentioned that before.

I understand...but I gotta say that some of the entertainment offered on premium channels is among the best I've ever seen.

To each his own, though.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 07:09 pm
@BillRM,

good point.
that TZ was called "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street".

king has a fondness for torturing small towns -- needful things; storm of the century, to name a couple...
BillRM

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 08:44 pm
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
that TZ was called "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street"

Yes that was the name of the show thanks

God that old tv show was great and still hold up well even today.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 09:05 pm
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
king has a fondness for torturing small MAINEtowns

Now that he lives in Fla, many of his latest are set in that state . Ive gotta say that I found Under the Dome kind of a bore. It was sort of retread space and was done better earlier.
I don't feel I need to watch it. AS bad as The LAngoliers was as a book, the ilm was even worse.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 04:07 am
@edgarblythe,
I never even heard of it until this thread.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 08:48 am
Check out this series on syfy

http://www.syfy.com/primeval

My sister produced this show in Vancouver.
Unfortunately the series wasn't renewed.
farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 09:13 am
@panzade,
Amazon prim and Netflix are bidding to provide "Dome" for subscription
BillRM

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 09:52 am
@farmerman,
Farmerman that cut in half cow did not look at all real I wonder why they did not get and used the remains of a real cow.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 05:42 am

i can't get past the fact that almst all of the characters are portrayed by actors who are 10-20 years younger than in the book...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 11:54 am
@edgarblythe,
I'm really happy that Amazon is allowed to stream the show days after it's broadcasted on TV. That's far better then Hulu Plus (with their ads) and Netflix (takes too long months and years after the initial TV broadcast before getting the right to stream).

I read the book and so far, I like how some of the really annoying characters in the book aren't so annoying (so far) in the TV show.

Now that it's guaranteed a second season, I hope they don't drag the series for any longer then a second or third season considering the book was long, it wasn't THAT long. So far, I like the pace. They're not stretching things out toooooo long so they can make this a 8 or 9 season show.

If they plan on going longer then three or four seasons then they're veering far away from the book.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 12:04 pm
Just finished watching the season finale for season one and it was kind of a disappointing and anticlimactic attempt at a cliffhanger. Razz
0 Replies