The Case For Biden

roger

Fri 6 Nov, 2020 03:47 pm
@revelette3,
Whenever I hear the name, I somehow picture Maya Rudolph (SNL).
0 Replies

snood

Fri 6 Nov, 2020 10:08 pm
I gotta say, all this talk Biden’s doing about reconciliation and putting “partisan warfare” behind us is great and presidential and all that, but a little worrisome to me.

A big part of his campaign pitch was that we are “in a war for the soul of the country”. I agree with that and I think it’s a deadly serious war between real good and real evil. I just hope Joe Biden knows that the war isn’t going to end when he’s sworn in - it begins. I hope he knows that progressive policies and liberal democracy have real enemies who do not fight fair or play nice. I hope he is ready and willing to fight. Obama wasted TOO MUCH time trying to find middle ground. Democrats have to be willing to steamroll enemies just as readily as their enemies have steamrolled them.
roger

Fri 6 Nov, 2020 10:18 pm
@snood,
Maybe. I'm hoping he can pull it off.
snood

Fri 6 Nov, 2020 10:19 pm
@roger,
I’m banking on the fact that he is going to have some determined, focused people around him that hold him accountable.
And that he is open to being held accountable.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 7 Nov, 2020 01:10 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
I gotta say, all this talk Biden's doing about reconciliation and putting "partisan warfare" behind us is great and presidential and all that, but a little worrisome to me.

A big part of his campaign pitch was that we are "in a war for the soul of the country". I agree with that and I think it's a deadly serious war between real good and real evil. I just hope Joe Biden knows that the war isn't going to end when he's sworn in - it begins. I hope he knows that progressive policies and liberal democracy have real enemies who do not fight fair or play nice. I hope he is ready and willing to fight. Obama wasted TOO MUCH time trying to find middle ground. Democrats have to be willing to steamroll enemies just as readily as their enemies have steamrolled them.

Ideally Mr. Trump will appoint some independent prosecutors to swarm the Biden Administration under with criminal investigations. I don't see how Mr. Biden will be able to steamroll that.

If Mr. Trump hosts a show on Fox News to rally his base to oppose and undermine Mr. Biden at every turn, I don't see how Mr. Biden will be able to steamroll that. We still have a First Amendment to protect our free speech.
neptuneblue

Sat 7 Nov, 2020 01:14 am
@oralloy,
Yeah, I'm not holding out for that.

Trump will either be in jail or in Moscow.
oralloy

Sat 7 Nov, 2020 01:18 am
@neptuneblue,
Outlawing the Democratic Party will put an end to their abuse of the law to harm people who disagree with them.
neptuneblue

Sat 7 Nov, 2020 01:20 am
@oralloy,
Yeah, you've mentioned that.

A few times actually.

And it is as stupid now as when you first brought it up.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 7 Nov, 2020 07:50 am
revelette3 wrote:

He is wearing even more orange make-up, I am not sure Trump will make it till 2020.

He does look terrible. His look at that "press briefing" was almost as terrifying as what he said.
revelette3

Sat 7 Nov, 2020 07:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
I deleted my post because I thought the post I was replying to was talking about Trump running in 2020, but I looked up through the post and I couldn't find it.

Regardless, the sentiment still stands, and yes he looks very unhealthy. Kind of bloated more in the face or something. Maybe it's his medicine for COVID.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sat 7 Nov, 2020 08:09 am
@snood,
I hope that Biden pivots quickly from the "warfare" imagery. He had a battle for the soul of the country. He won (or is about to win). Now he can move on.

I want Biden to boring.... a steady executive surrounded by competent managers. I want him to follow the science on the pandemic, be competent on the economy, and have a balanced (yes I said balanced) agenda for police reform that has specific policies rather than our current shouting match.
revelette3

Sat 7 Nov, 2020 08:28 am
@maxdancona,
I agree with you. In my opinion we have had a bellyful of shouting matches. It has already started among some factions in the Democratic Party.

Democrats, nearing a moment of triumph, still feel anxious and divided

I think Biden and Harris just need to carry on like they campaigned, identifying the problems and putting their heads together for a solution rather than wasting time with labels. For example, he campaigned on reforming the Justice system, but not defunding the police.
maxdancona

Sat 7 Nov, 2020 08:32 am
@revelette3,
It should be clear I voted for Biden. If the AOC wing of the party (extreme left) grows in prominence.... I will be upset.

Biden won because he isn't Trump... but he also isn't Hillary. And that is a very good thing.
revelette3

Sat 7 Nov, 2020 08:32 am
Biden’s Team Steps Up Transition Plans, Mapping Out a White House

0 Replies

maxdancona

Sat 7 Nov, 2020 08:34 am
@revelette3,
On a related notes... I am curious about what Kamala will do. By my estimation, there is a very good chance that Kamala will be president in a couple of years.

My impression of her is that the is intelligent and capable. I would like to feel confident that she will take a centrist course and push away the far left.
revelette3

Sat 7 Nov, 2020 08:35 am
@maxdancona,
Oh well, Hillary sure isn't AOC. Biden is way more like Hillary than AOC.

However, I don't discount AOC, I just don't want to get all bogged down on a progressive agenda rather than just dealing with the real criseses we have now, which include the black injustice system as well as the economy and most importantly COVID.
revelette3

Sat 7 Nov, 2020 08:37 am
@maxdancona,
I don't know why you are worried, she didn't prosecute as an Attorney or as a candidate as particular far left. Kind of both moderate and progressive. Which is good in my own view.
maporsche

Sat 7 Nov, 2020 08:56 am
@maxdancona,
I think a HUGE amount of credit for Biden's win goes to Mitch McConnel of all people.

If Mitch had allowed Amy Barret's SCOTUS nomination to wait until after the election and therefore be a factor in people's votes - I'd wager that Trump would have won.
oralloy

Sat 7 Nov, 2020 09:06 am
@maporsche,
Do you still think the Democrats have any chance of gains in the midterm elections?
oralloy

Sat 7 Nov, 2020 09:07 am
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:
I don't discount AOC, I just don't want to get all bogged down on a progressive agenda rather than just dealing with the real criseses we have now, which include the black injustice system as well as the economy and most importantly COVID.

You needn't worry about any progressive agenda.

"A source close to McConnell tells Axios a Republican Senate would work with Biden on centrist nominees but no 'radical progressives' or ones who are controversial with conservatives."

"The Biden agenda would be severely restricted by GOP control, the source added: 'It's going to be armed camps.' "

https://www.axios.com/gop-senate-biden-transition-50ebe6c8-e318-4fdb-b903-048908b3b954.html

What is the "black injustice system"???