The Case For Biden

hawkeye10

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 11:37 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
What is the case for Joe Biden? Near as I can tell the only one, which is more than enough, is "NOT HILLARY".
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 11:42 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Get the **** over yourself. We certainly have.

Considering how much people show that they are agitated by my arguments, nah.
bobsal u1553115

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 11:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
Agitated? Nah. Incredulous, disappointed by your sophistry, bored to tears, paralyzed by laughter ... yes ... but "agitated", nope.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Tue 25 Aug, 2015 12:08 am
Based upon the reporting tonight I gotta say Bidden is in. This bit about the family problems is BS, he is trying to pacify clinton and her current supporters by acting reluctant to get in.

I am sometimes wrong, but I say we get a yes in the next 72 hours.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 25 Aug, 2015 12:33 am
Draft Biden group circulates pro-Joe memo to DNC members
Source: Politico

Ahead of the Democratic National Committee summer meeting in Minneapolis later this week, the Draft Biden campaign is circulating a memo to DNC members and party leaders, asking them to keep an open mind about a possible presidential run for Joe Biden.

In the two-page memo, titled, “The Case for Joe Biden,” a senior adviser to the group, Josh Alcorn, writes, “Our ask for you today is not financial: we are asking you to keep an open mind and consider a Biden candidacy. Our country, the Democratic Party, and yes, the Vice President deserves nothing less. The more you consider it, the more sense it makes.”

The letter was sent five days before all five declared Democratic presidential candidates are set to make their case to party leaders and superdelegates at the DNC gathering. Hillary Clinton is speaking at the meeting on Friday before heading back to the Hamptons, where she has been vacationing and attending fundraisers. Biden is not scheduled to attend the meeting.

Clinton supporters stressed the importance of the audience for the Democratic front-runner, who in 2008 won the popular vote but did not win enough delegates to win her party’s nomination.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/draft-biden-group-pro-joe-memo-dnc-members-121682.html?hp=rc1_4
snood

Tue 25 Aug, 2015 07:05 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Interesting. Hey, what do you think it would do to Joe's chances if Warren endorsed him and supported him?
revelette2

Tue 25 Aug, 2015 08:38 am
@snood,
I don't know if she will outright. I am betting since Obama's poll numbers aren't too good, he will keep mum, but behind scenes, do you think he can do much for him?
snood

Tue 25 Aug, 2015 08:48 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

I don't know if she will outright. I am betting since Obama's poll numbers aren't too good, he will keep mum, but behind scenes, do you think he can do much for him?

I don't know if she will either. I was just wondering what you thought it would do to Biden's chances if she did. Obama is in a touchy situation if Biden runs because anything he does for either his former Secretary of State or for his VP will be construed as a slight against the other.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 25 Aug, 2015 09:26 am
@snood,
Now that Obama has given a green light to Biden to "consider" a run, I think there is an excellent chance he gets in. He'll have to contend with the Clintons and their machine, but he's a big boy and has a lot of good will and allies in the party. I'm very sure that if Obama asked him not to run, he wouldn't.

The talk now is that he is thinking running on a one term campaign, with Warren as VP. I doubt the people talking have inside information so it's probably just speculation that might make sense.

Warren is no spring chicken herself, and if she were to wait another 8 years to run, I believe she would be 74. Obviously her chance could come sooner if a Republican wins in 2016, but it's probably prudent to base decisions on the worse case scenario (for your goals).

If she runs with Biden and he bows out after 1 term, then she will have pretty close to a lock on the nomination for 2020. He could, of course, renege on any deal citing all kinds of reasons why the country needs him, but he doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

The problem with the one term campaign though is that if you win, you are something of a lame duck on day one. However, it can also be empowering in a lot of ways, so maybe it's a wash.

Timing means a lot in these matters. I don't think it's a coincidence that Obama gave him the green light after he spoke with Warren which suggests, to me, she gave him whatever assurances he was looking for.

On top of all this we don't know just how much Obama and Biden know about Servergate. You have to believe they know more than we do. If Clinton has a good chance of weathering the scandal, I don't think Biden would be in the news or that Obama would have given him the green light.

It is all speculation but it's fun for political junkies.

Clinton's campaign is so lackluster and she is such a crabby ass, that Smiling Joe Biden would be a refreshing entry.
snood

Tue 25 Aug, 2015 11:09 am
That whole "Obama gave ok" report is sketchy to me. Who was the source? It was supposed to have been a private lunch between Obama and Biden.
Frank Apisa

Tue 25 Aug, 2015 11:39 am
I know many of you disagree with me strongly on this...but I am convinced that any Dem Party ticket that includes someone further left than Bill Clinton was...

...is doomed.

Not just a loss...but a drubbing of huge proportions.

With all the respect in the world...our country is just NOT ready for sea change in the conservative/liberal continuum.

Disagree with me if you want...and I sincerely hope I am wrong and you good folk are right...

...but my guess is that a ticket with people like Sanders or Warren in either slot...will be beat to a pulp.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 25 Aug, 2015 12:32 pm
@snood,
Real good. Get Bernie to be a hard left sort of Dick Cheney VP..... I'm all for it!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 25 Aug, 2015 12:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It sounds like the President has written off Hillary Clinton's chances. I think she'll bow out after Christmas.
parados

Tue 25 Aug, 2015 12:54 pm
@revelette2,
Obama has really good numbers where it matters when it comes to electing a Democrat in 2016. So what if he has favorability of 10% in the red states? He needs to help get out the voters in the states he won when his poll numbers were similar to what they are now.
0 Replies

parados

Tue 25 Aug, 2015 12:58 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Clinton is scheduled to testify in public before Gowdy's committee in October. If it is similar to the last time she testified, she will walk out of there with her ratings up 10 points and the GOP back down near 10% like they were a year ago.
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 25 Aug, 2015 01:08 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

It sounds like the President has written off Hillary Clinton's chances. I think she'll bow out after Christmas.

Iowa and New Hampshire are not until February and you think Clinton is going to bow out after Christmas??? No way Clinton leaves before a vote is cast when she is a clear frontrunner now.

I think there is a lot of difference between the President telling Biden he would take no issue if Biden ran and saying he has written of Clinton. The President will take no public stance until the convention and then campaign has needed or wanted by the nominee. As for Clinton, she is in it at least until Super Tuesday (March 1). I think she is in it as long as she has a mathematical chance. One thing that is really different from 2009 is the super delegate situation. In 2009 Clinton could ride fondness for her husband's administration into an big, early lead in super delegates. Many of those delegates are going to hold their fire this time around making all the March primaries interesting but the Clintons still carry a lot of weight there and they represent a third of the delegates. I doubt anyone can build enough momentum before April to shut down Clinton.
hawkeye10

Tue 25 Aug, 2015 01:20 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
I doubt anyone can build enough momentum before April to shut down Clinton.

Given the timeline that the failure to guard state secrets story has been on it is very possible for her to be done before we turn the calendar to 2016.
djjd62

Tue 25 Aug, 2015 01:36 pm
The Case For Biden

definitely some kind of hard sided case, not some wimpy soft man purse thing but not metal either, i get the feeling he's the kind of guy who might swing an object at your head if riled
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 25 Aug, 2015 02:16 pm
@snood,
I heard it came from Obama's spokesperson at a briefing. Of course he wouldn't have put it the way I did.
0 Replies

parados

Tue 25 Aug, 2015 02:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Given the timeline that the failure to guard state secrets story has been on it is very possible for her to be done before we turn the calendar to 2016.

OMG.... Based on the idiocy of the story you claim to be true, every Congressman needs to be arrested and jailed for threatening national security.

Failure to guard state secrets? What utter nonsense. Agencies aren't even in agreement as to what should be classified as secret 5 years after it was sent. It certainly wasn't secret at the time it was sent. The fact that an email referring Clinton to a published story in the media is one of those being considered classified kind of says it all about how meaningless this story is.