The Case For Biden

Olivier5

Sat 12 Oct, 2019 02:50 am
Quote:
The son of a longtime US senator gets his start as a lawyer with one of the biggest corporate donors to his dad’s campaigns; a friend of his dad’s gets him a job in the Clinton administration, and then as a lobbyist; later, while his father is vice president, he is given a $50,000 per month seat on the board of a Ukrainian energy firm, despite lacking any clear energy expertise. How does this all happen? It happened the same way that Chelsea Clinton became a “special correspondent” for NBC News, and Jenna Bush got a job as a Today show host, and the Trump children got jobs overseeing a real estate empire. It happened the same way, for that matter, that George W Bush – objectively, a flailing dumbass – became the governor of Texas and then the president of the United States.

When you are the son of a famous and powerful politician, you are showered with opportunity, whether you deserve it or not. This is nepotism, but it is also, if we are being direct, a form of corruption. Moral corruption. Not only because these prestigious positions are not earned, and because these celebukids are taking something that rightly should have gone to someone more deserving; but also because, even though there is rarely anything so crude as a direct quid pro quo, this undeserved largesse is always motivated to some extent by a desire by some powerful interest to take advantage of the halo of influence cast by the parents. That influence should properly accrue to the public, who their parents work for. The lavish lives afforded to famous kids are, in effect, stolen from the American people. Each coveted job handed to a president’s kid represents a small quantity of subversion of the spirit of the democratic process.

This particular form of injustice is often waved off as just be the way of the world. Seven-foot-tall people get to be in the NBA, and the children of presidents and vice-presidents get sweet, lucrative gigs whether they’re qualified for them or not. We shouldn’t take this so lightly. We should, in fact, be enraged by it. Politics is not just another way to get rich. It is a public service field, and the more important the position, the more stringent the ethical requirements it should carry.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/11/hunter-biden-democrats-joe-biden-ukraine-trump
snood

Sat 12 Oct, 2019 06:38 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

So you will vote for a village idiot because he is more "likeable" than the strongman in office who has turned our economy around?

Do you recognize that Trump presides over an economy whose upwards trends began under Obama, or do you credit Trump alone?

Do you see any troubling aspects in Trump’s affinity for and praise of so-called “strongman” leaders ( such as a desire to emulate authoritarian dictatorships), or is that all a positive thing to you?
Lash

Sat 12 Oct, 2019 06:48 am
@Olivier5,
I am enraged by it, and it drives a fair percentage of my political energy.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 16 Oct, 2019 02:01 pm
Quote:
... Joe Biden, the former vice president of the United States and the 2020 Democratic front-runner from the day he entered the race officially in the spring, ended September with less than $9 million in the bank after spending more money than he raised in the previous three months.

Biden's total cash on hand is less than all of his main rivals for the Democratic nomination, including even California Sen. Kamala Harris ($10.5 million) who has dropped precipitously in polling over recent months. Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders ($33.7 million) has more than three times more left to spend than Biden, while Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren ($25.7 million) and South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg ($23.4 million) have well more than double Biden's total.

... Money isn't always determinative. But what fundraising does signal -- especially in a crowded and uncertain field with a few months left before anyone actually votes -- is momentum and organic energy. Think about it: Taking some of your hard-earned money and giving it to a candidate is one of the strongest signs of support you could possibly offer. You are saying, in essence: I believe in this person so much that I am willing to invest in him or her. That's a big deal!

So Biden's total cash haul -- $15.7 million -- isn't great. (He was outraised by Sanders, Warren and Buttigieg.) But his burn rate -- the amount he spent -- is even more concerning. Biden spent more than $17.6 million, meaning $2 million more went out than came in. Which is bad! But could be mitigated somewhat if Biden had previously stocked away a Scrooge McDuck-like set of gold coins (or just plain dollar bills) that he could draw from to fund his efforts in the third fundraising quarter.

Unfortunately for Biden, however, there is no store of gold doubloons. He spent more than he raised and he has half (or less) of the cash on hand than his main rivals for the nomination. That's bad stacked on bad, with bad slathered on top.

On a symbolic level, Biden's fundraising struggles are indicative of his broader issues with energizing broad swaths of the Democratic base beyond the black community. (According to CNN's Fredreka Schouten, small-dollar donations -- typically a sign of grassroots energy -- accounted for less than one-third of Biden's total contributions in the third quarter.)

On a practical level, Biden's cash-poor status will complicate his efforts to a) build and maintain top-level organizations in not only the four early-voting state but also the slew of states slated to vote on March b) run the necessary TV ads in early states to reintroduce himself to voters and c) raise more money to fund all of these efforts because money is driven by momentum.

Yes, Biden remains the best-known candidate in the field. And yes, because of that status, he has less introducing (or reintroducing) of himself to do to voters. So his cash situation isn't a death knell as it might be for some of his rivals.

But make no mistake: Biden's fundraising situation is bad. And there are few signs it's getting better.

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/10/16/politics/joe-biden-fundraising-debate/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Famp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org%2Fv%2Fs%2Famp.cnn.com%2Fcnn%2F2019%2F10%2F16%2Fpolitics%2Fjoe-biden-fundraising-debate%2Findex.html
0 Replies

revelette3

Wed 16 Oct, 2019 03:00 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Relying on the 2nd Amendment and making it the final word on the topic is like using a map of trails compiled by Daniel Boone to try to navigate the interstate highway system.

Funny and true.
revelette3

Wed 16 Oct, 2019 03:03 pm
@snood,
Not to mention (it was true during Obama's time as well, to be fair) the middle class has not been helped too much when you consider living expenses verses wages.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 16 Oct, 2019 04:10 pm
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:
hightor wrote:
Relying on the 2nd Amendment and making it the final word on the topic is like using a map of trails compiled by Daniel Boone to try to navigate the interstate highway system.

Funny and true.

This is why Trump is such a great president. He protects us from progressives who think that civil liberties are obsolete.
0 Replies

Brand X

Tue 22 Oct, 2019 03:33 pm
Eric Levitz

@EricLevitz
2h2 hours ago
More
Centrist Democratic donors are realizing, with horror, that their best bets for fending off the left are now a senescent, cash-poor gaffe-machine -- and a college-town mayor with fewer black supporters than Donald Trump.
revelette3

Tue 22 Oct, 2019 04:04 pm
@Brand X,
We better hope saner heads prevail after the democrat primary no matter who wins. Hopefully, it will be a centrist. I can't make up my own mind, I thought about Sanders, then went all in for Warren. After watching the last debate, I saw a lot of minuses for both Warren and the Medicare for All plan in general.

I am hoping maybe some of the others in the field come up past 3 percent polling. The only one I have trouble, a lot of trouble, voting for would be Tulsi Gabbard. She may as well be Steve Bannon. Not sure I could stomach her much past Trump. And, no, I don't believe she is a Russian agent anymore than I think Trump is one. I can see the reasons why Putin would be glad she would win and put in the bots and trolls to try help that along. I personally don't think those bots and trolls have as much as success as all the trouble they go to do it. People believe what they believe.

As for Biden, he would be fine as President as long as he has a good running mate who can take over if he gets sick or something.
oralloy

Tue 22 Oct, 2019 04:14 pm
@revelette3,
What we really need is a Democratic candidate who doesn't hate the Constitution and try to violate people's civil liberties for fun.

It would also be good if they oppose these witch hunts against anyone who disagrees with progressives.

But let's be realistic. We're in the midst of a 20 year period of Republican control over the White House. All the Democratic candidate really needs to be able to do in 2020 is deliver an eloquent concession speech.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 12:19 pm
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:

We better hope saner heads prevail after the democrat primary no matter who wins. Hopefully, it will be a centrist. I can't make up my own mind, I thought about Sanders, then went all in for Warren. After watching the last debate, I saw a lot of minuses for both Warren and the Medicare for All plan in general.

I am hoping maybe some of the others in the field come up past 3 percent polling. The only one I have trouble, a lot of trouble, voting for would be Tulsi Gabbard. She may as well be Steve Bannon. Not sure I could stomach her much past Trump. And, no, I don't believe she is a Russian agent anymore than I think Trump is one. I can see the reasons why Putin would be glad she would win and put in the bots and trolls to try help that along. I personally don't think those bots and trolls have as much as success as all the trouble they go to do it. People believe what they believe.

As for Biden, he would be fine as President as long as he has a good running mate who can take over if he gets sick or something.

I don't think you know much of anything about Gabbard other than what the Democrat Establishment wants you to believe.

It might be interesting if you offered some explanation; some evidence for your intense byt essentially incoherent criticisim of her.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 12:54 pm
@Olivier5,
Hamilton Nolan is the classic idealist turned bitter cynic, including the influence of his failure to reach the lofty heights predicted by his outsized self-regard on the depth and reach of his cynicism.

He is also yet another revolutionary dilettante who considers himself a herald of the people's forthcoming glorious and violent uprising, but who will never man the barricades. His job will be to write the fiery pamphlets (filled with obscenities to signal his authenticity), that inspire idealistic idiots, who have not yet soured, to take his place in the ranks and be the first to die before the fusillade of the tyrant's mercenaries.

If he does muster up the courage to fight The Power, it will be within the comforting safety of a small, righteously angry mob driving a notable Trump supporter and her husband from a restaurant in Tribeca.

However...

At least he's not the sort of faux-leftist hypocrite who finds no problem with the obvious corruption exemplified by Uncle Joe Biden and his troubled (but filthy rich) second son Hunter.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 24 Oct, 2019 03:16 am
Chicky Hearn
@ChickHearnBern
·
18h
Joe Biden can't even get 300 people to a rally, yet I'm supposed to believe he leads the "polls" with 34%?

Does anyone actually believe this bullshit?
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 24 Oct, 2019 03:22 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
She’s like most Centrists. No real foundation that drives or prioritizes their political decisions. Just browsing at the ice cream counter.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 24 Oct, 2019 05:19 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
She’s like most Centrists. No real foundation that drives or prioritizes their political decisions.
That certainly is different in the USA than elsewhere - in Europe, for instance, 'Centrists' follow either on a social-democratic or a liberal-conservative program (due to their foundation principles).
Lash

Thu 24 Oct, 2019 03:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Then, yes. Quite different.
0 Replies

Brand X

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 12:29 pm
The Washington Post

Verified account

@washingtonpost
Follow Follow @washingtonpost
More
John Kerry endorses Biden in 2020 race, saying he has the character and experience to beat Trump, confront the nation's challenges
Lash

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 03:19 pm
@Brand X,
************!

(I’m thinking of John Kerry)
Sturgis

Thu 5 Dec, 2019 03:41 pm
@Brand X,
An endorsement from Kerry doesn't mean diddly-squat to me.

Kerry was one of the many missteps the Democratic Party has made this century. If anything, an endorsement from him is like as not, to doom whatever chance Biden might still have.

On the plus side, if Biden is eliminated from the competition, the words Bye Bye Biden go well with the song bye bye blackbird.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 7 Dec, 2019 05:56 pm
"You're a damned liar fat man! Let's do pushups!"

And to think, I actually felt sorry for this guy and his dementia driven Cornpop/Hairy Legs monologue.

Never again, he's an arrogant, pompous shitheel
0 Replies