The Case For Biden

engineer

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 11:02 am
@Olivier5,
That's probably a better statement. (I also didn't find anything at fivethirtyeight.com so I'm not sure how Silver got roped into it.)
Olivier5

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 11:09 am
@snood,
I just mentioned ONE stuff I "heard". I think "the level of discourse" on A2K will survive.
Olivier5

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 11:12 am
@engineer,
Still, the implied meaning - or at least a possible interpretation - is that Obama is quietly rooting for Buttigieg.
snood

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 11:14 am
@Olivier5,
Here’s hoping someone calling you on it might help keep that number of “heard stuff” at one.
snood

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 11:16 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Still, the implied meaning - or at least a possible interpretation - is that Obama is quietly rooting for Buttigieg.

There you go again - Bullshit! Joe Biden is also in talks with Obama fund raisers. You have no way of knowing what Obama is “quietly” thinking.
Olivier5

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 11:24 am
@snood,
Oh why... Keep going through every thing I post with a toothpick. I'm flattered by your kind attention to my modest writings...
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 11:25 am
@snood,
What part of "at least a possible interpretation" did you fail to understand?
snood

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 11:28 am
@Olivier5,
I understand perfectly that you were trying to pass your conjuring as relevant information, and I called you on it- wriggle and obfuscate as you please.
Olivier5

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 11:35 am
@snood,
That's simply not true, and I can easily prove it. As pointed out to you already, I qualified my statement as hear-say from the first post on.
Olivier5

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 11:51 am
The latest on Joe Biden's campaign, now reportedly* scheduled to be launched on Thursday:
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/joe-biden-reportedly-delays-wednesday-campaign-announcement.html

Including this juicy bit:
Quote:
In candid remarks to Time on Friday, a former Biden aide said there’s plenty of chaos behind the scenes: “I’ve never seen anything so half-assed. They’re improvising and doing last-minute planning. The guy has been running for president since 1987 and can’t figure the basics out, like where to stand on his first day? This should make everyone very nervous.”

* Note the careful qualification, not to lower the "level of discourse".
georgeob1

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 12:38 pm
@Olivier5,
I wouldn't be surprised to find that this is merely a symptom of the larger Problem Democrats face in reconciling their desired political platform with the much publicized but often infeasible element of the Green New Deal being advanced by new and largely inexperienced representatives in the Congress. There are likely large differences between these new proposals and the, as yet unannounced platform on which the party leaders wish to run. Biden is likely the favored candidate of the party leadership and his announcement itself will likely be the starting point for this as yet unresolved issue
Olivier5

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 01:03 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Biden is likely the favored candidate of the party leadership...

Yes to that part.

Quote:
... and his announcement itself will likely be the starting point for this as yet unresolved issue

His announcement may also be the starting point for a rather humiliating loss. It has happened to him before.
Lash

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 01:08 pm
@Olivier5,
Unless the righty Dems throw a lot of money at him and get their mouthpieces in the media to pull what they pulled in ‘16....

But, I really thought they wanted Harris.

I guess they have to have some believable traction first... Nobody’s close to Bernie and Biden—but, only if the media completely ignores all Biden’s future idiocy. I wonder if they can gaslight an entire election. They gaslit Hillary through a primary.

But, then, Don wins.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 01:23 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

His announcement may also be the starting point for a rather humiliating loss. It has happened to him before.

No argument there. A few weeks back I was sure Biden would back off any declaration, because of various issues associated with himself. I was a bit surprised to see recent reports of an imminent Biden announcement and concluded, perhaps incorrectly, that this was an indicator of pressure (or merely reassurance) from party leaders. I agree with Lash that the Democrat establishment's next favorite candidate is likely Sen. Harris, and I suspect the issue for them is the relative probabilities of beating Trump in the next election.
Olivier5

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 01:51 pm
@georgeob1,
There's nothing wrong with a party trying to maximize its chances of winning, hence the electability question is legitimate, I think. The problem lies in predicting accurately who's "electable" and who is not. Trump broke that meter, so nobody knows for sure.
georgeob1

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 02:31 pm
@Olivier5,
I agree. In this case their problem is made more complex by the difficulty in estimating Trump's likely strength as a candidate in the next election. Lots of uncertainty out there regarding both the continuing volatility of Trump poll data and, as well, the greater Trump backing compared to the polls indicated in the results of last election, and a probably still significant factor for the next. In addition, the likely contrast between actual public support for the new far left Democrat initiatives compared to the media attention they're getting is also a likely distracting factor for the Democrat leadership.
Olivier5

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 03:02 pm
@georgeob1,
The DNC and co is not the political machine it once was, and far from as powerful or evil as some of its most paranoid opponents make it to be.

It wouldn't be the first time a party leadership lost the plot, nor the first time they don't get whom they hoped for out of primaries... The basic function of the primary system is to take candidate nomination out of the hands of the party leadership. So I don't see the party's leadersip as relevant at this stage.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 04:18 pm
@Olivier5,
Shame on you Ollie!

Don't you realize that the outcome of the 2020 election will hang on the decisions made by American progressives participating in this forum?

Your bogus reporting that former president Obama prefers Mayor Pete to Uncle Joe represents a blatant attempt to swing the support of A2K Progressive, who you know worship Barrack, away from Biden towards the former mayor of South Bend, Indiana.

My God it rises to the level of Russian interference in 2016!

Olivier5

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 12:07 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I run a French botfarm all by myself.

Snood is no "progressive", mind you. He is a conservative who happens to vote democrat.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 12:22 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Trump broke that meter,

To be fair, a certain Barack Hussein Obama also defied electability calculations.
0 Replies