The Case For Biden

snood

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 05:57 am
@Olivier5,
The article you cited simply reports that some of Obama’s big donors are supporting mayor Pete. Big difference between that and Obama “favoring “ mayor Pete.
Olivier5

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 06:09 am
@snood,
Plus Axelrod, and a few staffers from Obama's admin . Plus Obama himself highlighted Buttigieg has having much potential, some time ago.
snood

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 06:13 am
@Olivier5,
The fact remains that saying Obama “favors” Buttigieg is imprecision bordering on falsehood.
Olivier5

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 06:16 am
@snood,
How so?
snood

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 06:33 am
@Olivier5,
It’s imprecise because Obama has not said or suggested he favors Buttigieg over the others. It borders on falsehood because lacking any supporting evidence or citations, you are saying Obama said or suggested something he simply did not say or suggest.
Olivier5

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 06:41 am
@snood,
I said "I hear", which qualifies that this is hear-say.

Likewise, there is no evidence that Biden is the establishment democrats' prefered candidate, which is why in my original post I qualified this too.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 06:43 am
@Lash,
Silver is too full of himself to understand he misled the dems in 2016, so he is doing it again...
oralloy

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 06:46 am
@Olivier5,
How did he mislead anyone in 2016?

How is he misleading anyone now?

How does he confuse his desires with reality?
0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 08:07 am
@Olivier5,
Misled them how and when?
0 Replies

engineer

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 08:51 am
@Olivier5,
Do you mean Nate Silver? How do you think he is misleading Democrats? In 2016, fivethirtyeight.com was the only polling website saying Trump had a chance of winning. On election night, he had Trump with ~25% chance of winning compared to 1% in most other places and prior to the election he was taking a lot of heat for it.
revelette1

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 09:09 am
@engineer,
True, a lot of people seem to underestimate Nate Silver around here, not sure why. Selective memory.
revelette1

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 09:14 am
@snood,
I haven't seen any articles where Obama has hinted any favorites at all. He seems most concerned with the Senate. If I see an article with Obama's name on it, I read it. Pretty sure I would have run across such if there was even a hint Obama has favored anyone. I could have missed some though. If I have, would love to be corrected so I could read it.
engineer

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 10:02 am
@revelette1,
I think people like to pick their polls and Silver refuses to do that.He tracks which polls lean Republican and which polls lean Democratic and adjusts all his numbers so he's always trash-talking your favorite poll.
Olivier5

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 10:10 am
@revelette1,
Well, you read it here first.
snood

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 10:12 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I haven't seen any articles where Obama has hinted any favorites at all. He seems most concerned with the Senate. If I see an article with Obama's name on it, I read it. Pretty sure I would have run across such if there was even a hint Obama has favored anyone. I could have missed some though. If I have, would love to be corrected so I could read it.

Yeah, I pretty much read anything with Obama in it, as well. In any case, Obama has made a concerted effort of not showing favor until a dem nominee emerges. He has a good idea of the weight his favor would carry, so he does not just bestow it willy-nilly.
Olivier5

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 10:15 am
@engineer,
He forgot to track his own leanings, unfortunately. That happens often to very successful people, and he clearly is one. He was brilliant in the 2000s'. I even bought his book, The Signal and the Noise.
revelette1

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 10:15 am
@Olivier5,
Read what here?
snood

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 10:18 am
@Olivier5,

Olivier5 wrote:

Well, you read it here first.

Do you even understand that littering a political forum with stuff you “heard” could tend to lower, as opposed to enhance, the level of discourse? Not to mention making your opinions be taken less seriously?

Jeez
engineer

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 10:50 am
@snood,
I did a search for Buttigieg and Obama and got links saying that Obama fundraisers have held events for Buttigieg but nothing about a meeting or endorsement.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 11:00 am
@revelette1,
That the Obama entourage is leaning toward Pete Buttigieg.