The Case For Biden

oralloy

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 12:56 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
He forgot to track his own leanings, unfortunately.

What are you talking about? How are his leanings (whatever they even are) influencing his results?
0 Replies

Brand X

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 04:59 am
As expected, Biden is officially campaigning for prez.
hightor

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 05:51 am
@Brand X,
Not exactly drafted for the job. When's the last time a groundswell of public sentiment dragged some unwilling statesman into seeking the office? George Washington? I'm waiting for a candidate who's only in the race because of popular demand.
snood

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 06:29 am
@hightor,
Popularity doesn’t necessarily denote quality
Brand X

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 07:18 am
I fear it's going to be nasty verbal sparring between Trump and Biden, we know Trump will go there....but can Biden hold his tongue and take the higher ground.
maporsche

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 07:33 am
@Brand X,
Brand X wrote:

...but can Biden hold his tongue and take the higher ground.

Does he have to?
Should he?
Does it matter?
engineer

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 07:36 am
@Brand X,
I think Biden showed he can restrain himself in the VP debate against Palin, so I'm not worried there, but he's got to get there first.

Interesting take in Slate today.
Quote:
The story of the 2020 Democratic presidential primary so far has been the historic size of the field, which will end up in the mid-20s before all is said and done. And the size of the field is, in large part, a reflection of how Democratic politicians view Joe Biden: as a paper tiger, whose fall will make the nomination anyone’s for the taking.
0 Replies

Brand X

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 07:39 am
@maporsche,
If he doesn't hold it it will just escalate the vitriol which doesn't lend itself to a new tone.

I don't expect Biden to never return a jab, and he shouldn't rollover and play dead.
engineer

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 07:46 am
@Brand X,
I think all the Democrats should never reference Trump, just "the administration". If you attack Trump by name, there seems to be a knee jerk reaction in the press to cover the flame war instead of the issue that started it. Just avoid that.
Brand X

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 07:52 am
@engineer,
Trump has already said this morning, 'Welcome to the race, Sleepy Joe'.
0 Replies

Brand X

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 12:49 pm
BREAKING: Andrew Cuomo, who has raised millions of dollars during his campaigns over the years, will be opening his fundraising apparatus exclusively to Joe Biden.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/25/andrew-cuomo-plans-to-open-formidable-fundraising-network-to-joe-biden.html?__source=facebook%7Cmain&fbclid=IwAR0BuGKz5l7KA9__L8h13qPp4sBfdn7-u8429gBOAN3puRmu3x02gA7t8xY
engineer

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 12:59 pm
@Brand X,
To me this illustrates a weakness of the Biden campaign to date. The strategy as a "front runner" is to get out there early, get commitments from various groups and effectively lock up so much of the energy in the system that it is hard for another candidate to get traction. By waiting this long, Biden invited challengers and now he has twenty of them. I think Biden has the same problem Sanders has. He has 100% name recognition, so everyone has decided if he is their first choice or not. There is little upside on his standing from where he sits now until people start dropping and voters have to move on to their fallback choices. The first couple of primaries will be very interesting.
maporsche

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 01:07 pm
@engineer,
We should also probably wait for the first few debates. I mean, campaigning hasn't really even started yet.
Brand X

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 01:52 pm
@jpaceDC

'BIG Biden hire - @SymoneDSanders joining the campaign as a senior adviser.'

She worked for Bernie in 2016 as a press surrogate.
0 Replies

engineer

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 02:09 pm
@maporsche,
That's not any fun! I predict Buttigieg followed by Biden in Iowa, Sanders followed by Biden in New Hampshire and Biden followed by Harris in South Carolina. Biden will have to take those first two losses in stride while the press hammers his "failing" campaign. If Harris loses in SC, it might be tough for her to continue even though polls look really good for her right now. So that leave Nevada which will be between NH and SC. That could be an opportunity for Harris to get some momentum before SC or for Buttigieg to get in another hit.

PS: Biden is leading the polls just about everywhere except NH right now.
snood

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 04:58 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Brand X wrote:

...but can Biden hold his tongue and take the higher ground.

Does he have to?
Should he?
Does it matter?

Very good questions. It’s not at all clear at this point - at least not to me - whether democratic candidates need to commit to taking the “high road”. It might prove to be totally reasonable on some occasions to call out Trump for just exactly the wretched lowlife that he is.
maporsche

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 05:33 pm
@snood,
Do I hope that he and others will take the higher road? Sure.

Do I want to win more? Yes.

I’m not sure what the better strategy is just yet.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 26 Apr, 2019 02:30 am
@snood,
Quote:
Popularity doesn’t necessarily denote quality

Self-appointed egoists pandering for popular support don't necessarily deliver quality either. It'd be nice to vote for someone who already garnered widespread respect instead of having to choose among an over-eager crowd of wannabes seeking to earn respect. This is just an observation, not a political strategy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 26 Apr, 2019 02:56 am
@engineer,
I see that Trump recognizes what a challenger Biden would be. Trump spoke live about Joe "Not being the brightest bulb in the pack"

Apparently Joseph just smugged and said "According to the IQ of the present occupant of the WH, I wonder, How smart must one actually be to be president?"

Joseph will have to avoid being lured into his standard smartass remarks if he wants to make a mark. I think a grave look an a "Lets just try to stay on a higher ground since the stakes are so damned high"
farmerman

Fri 26 Apr, 2019 02:58 am
@farmerman,
No matter who does carry the banner for thir parties, The Danders Trump, Biden death match will be played as the "GEEZER CAMPAIGN"
0 Replies