The Case For Biden

georgeob1

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 12:39 pm
@revelette1,
I suspect that is precisely what he is doing now.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 12:41 pm
@Brand X,
Yes, i would agree with that. He would be drown in the noise if he announced his candidacy. I'm taking bets that he won't run.

Not saying he should not run, just that he will not.
RABEL222

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 01:20 pm
@Olivier5,
If Biden had grabbed this woman by the p000y rather than touched her on the shoulder you wouldent have heard a word from fox news because Trump said that's acceptable.
engineer

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 01:25 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

One might also go so far as to say that they care very much about #metoo but don't think what Biden has done rises to the level of a #metoo moment.

Biden has been accused of inappropriate behavior by several women, but the specific case that started this is he came up behind the Democratic candidate for NV Lt. Governor.
Quote:
Lucy Flores writes in New York magazine about her "awkward" experience with Biden, saying he grabbed her shoulders from behind, sniffed her hair and then planted a kiss on the back of her head before a campaign event. On Friday, a spokesman for Biden said that the former vice president and staff who were present do not "recall what she describes."

She was not facing him, greeting him or in a conversation with him, he was behind her in line to go onstage.

Do you find this acceptable behavior?
edgarblythe

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 01:27 pm
Apparently nobody is concerned with Biden's record, which is a disaster, but just want to stand up for his right to put his hands and lips on any woman when he feels the urge.
maporsche

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 01:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
I am not concerned with Biden's record when compared to Trump's. No.

I can't believe you seem ready to withhold a vote from him in November 2020 if he is the nominee.

I've already stated he won't get my primary vote.
edgarblythe

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 01:36 pm
@maporsche,
He's part of the reason Trump occupies the White House. What earthly good is he?
maporsche

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 01:36 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Do you find this acceptable behavior?

I do not. Biden should not do this. I also agree with Rev that two people can see situations differently and I'm not surprised that both Biden and Flores seem credible and could be telling the truth.

Joe Biden has a history of pro-women legislation and policies to point to. Not to mention many many many women who are jumping to Joe's defense. He is not a serial sexual assaulter like some are suggesting.

Lucy Flores though has said that she will vote for Biden if he is the nominee. Lucy Flores has said this isn't a #metoo moment. Lucy Flores has said this wasn't a sexual act.

Joe has released a new statement. Based on this he's still going to run for President. I think he'll still be a frontrunner.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/joe-biden-accused-of-inappropriate-physical-contact-by-multiple-women-says-he-will-change-his-behavior/2019/04/03/05b5ea58-5643-11e9-814f-e2f46684196e_story.html?utm_term=.86d804d2848e
maporsche

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 01:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

What earthly good is he?

He's not Trump.

He will sign bills passed by a Democratic Congress/House. Trump won't.

He will stop doing literally everything that you don't like Donald Trump doing. The border, healthcare, taxes, the environment, etc, etc. Trump will continue these and probably increase his craziness.

He will stop embarrassing us internationally. Trump will continue.
Lash

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 01:41 pm
Vote for someone who will reduce the cost of medical treatment and slash medication in half.

Vote for someone who puts people ahead of corporations’ payoffs.

Vote for a principled person who gives a **** about average Americans.
RABEL222

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 02:10 pm
@Lash,
That would be Biden, not Trump.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 02:19 pm
@maporsche,
Trump has so far used his Veto far less than did Obama.

The Democrat's problem is that they can't get their draft legislation (most of it grandstanding for their constituents) through the Congress. Interestingly for them they are carrying forward their previous unwillingness to collaborate or negotiate on any new legislation. That was a likely contributing factor in the contradiction-filled Obamacare legislation (they had to pass before reading it all according to Pelosi). It is what is holding them (and the country) up now.

On the international scene he has done very well indeed. He has upset our European allies for calling them out on their now decades old underfunding of their NATO obligations: some slight favorable response so far, but I suspect more pressure from Trump will be forthcoming. He got us out of Obama/Kerry's supine payoff "treaty" (actually just an executive agreement) with Iran, and is well on the way to cleaning up our Trade agreements with NAFTA and now China.

Seeking to gain the affection of other players at the international poker table is not a good path to either winning on the issues or achieving lasting good relations with them.
engineer

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 02:20 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Joe Biden has a history of pro-women legislation and policies to point to. Not to mention many many many women who are jumping to Joe's defense. He is not a serial sexual assaulter like some are suggesting.

Agreed, both on the history of pro-women legislation and on the "not a serial sexual assaulter", but let's be honest here and say that you don't walk up behind someone who is almost a complete stranger, grab her by the shoulders, smell her hair and kiss her head. To do that implies a huge amount of entitlement to touch someone without their permission. The "pro-woman" person who takes significant liberties with women in private is almost cliche at this point as are the "many women" who jump to his defense. When obnoxious people say "me too" is just a political attack line, something you use to bash other people but something that you don't hold your people to, this makes that case. My guess is there is no way in hell Biden would have done that to a male candidate for the NV Lt. Governor, nor would he have done it to a complete stranger on the bus. In many ways, this reminds me of when we found out the George H Bush groped women routinely in his political career as a joke. I liked Bush senior, thought he was a good President in general. That doesn't mean I excuse him groping women over whom he had political power for forty years.
Brand X

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 02:37 pm
@maporsche,
I listened to what he said twice....

When did invading personal space consist of the touching, sniffing and kissing triple combo? He says, 'personal space has been reset, I get it'.

Reset? If he thinks that's what personal space is/was and it's been reset to not include that, he definitely does not get it. IMO

0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 02:37 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

The "pro-woman" person who takes significant liberties with women in private is almost cliche at this point as are the "many women" who jump to his defense.

I don't think anyone has accused Joe of anything inappropriate in private. Which leads credence to his claim of (paraphrasing) "I didn't know this was inappropriate." - the fact that he does it to men, women, and in public, and it apparently has no sexual connotation or harassment (according to the accusers themselves).

Quote:

When obnoxious people say "me too" is just a political attack line, something you use to bash other people but something that you don't hold your people to, this makes that case.

I disagree. I don't think this is a #metoo moment on the scale of the sexual assaults and rape that started the #metoo movement.

At some point the #metoo movement can possibly go too far, would you agree? I'll tell you something else to show you that it's not a partisan opinion...I said at the time, and still agree, that I don't think that without proof, Kavanaugh should have been disqualified from being on the SCOTUS -- I believe Dr. Ford. I don't believe Kavanaugh, but without proof in a he said/she said situation, I think he should be allowed to serve.

I think we've reached the station where I'm ready to get off the #metoo train. I'll support #metoo up until this station but when we get to the point of ruining peoples careers because they gave too long of a hug and rubbed someone shoulders in public. Well, this left leaning person has to question if it's gone too far.

I wonder where everyone else's point is?
maporsche

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 02:44 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Trump has so far used his Veto far less than did Obama.

Well, he didn't have to when Republicans controlled both houses did he? It's only been 2.5 months since Democrats took office. I bet you they both vetoed the same number of bills in the first 2 years of their presidencies.

Quote:
The Democrat's problem is that they can't get their draft legislation (most of it grandstanding for their constituents) through the Congress. Interestingly for them they are carrying forward their previous unwillingness to collaborate or negotiate on any new legislation. That was a likely contributing factor in the contradiction-filled Obamacare legislation (they had to pass before reading it all according to Pelosi). It is what is holding them (and the country) up now.

I disagree with your characterizations. I don't know of any bills that McConnell has passed in the Senate that the house has refused to vote on. Do you?

IF the country is being held up, it's being held up in a way that Democratic party voters agree with largely. I'm willing to bet they'll agree more with what he Democrats have done and promise to do in 2020 too.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 02:53 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
One might also go so far as to say that they care very much about #metoo but don't think what Biden has done rises to the level of a #metoo moment.

Bingo.

People seem to think they can just weaponize #metoo to ruin people's careers.... That's not how it works.
neptuneblue

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 03:06 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
At some point the #metoo movement can possibly go too far, would you agree?

No, I do not agree. Why should "I" or any other man, woman or child have to be subjected to unwanted touching? How do you even reconcile teaching children, don't worry about good ole pervy uncle Joe, he's just like that? Let him smell your hair, come up behind you and give you a surprise hug. It's ok, he does it too EVERYBODY!! Absolutely NO.

The only one who is killing a career is Biden himself. No one else. He didn't declare a presidential run, keep it that way.

Really, get off the train. You'd rather allow this type of harassment to continue rather than call it out for what it is. Disgusting, unwanted harassment.
maporsche

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 03:11 pm
@neptuneblue,
Joe knows it's not ok now. He's said that he'll stop. I support fully Joe stopping this action. It's also the advice I would have given him if he asked. It can be perceived as creepy, unwanted, and gross. It can also be perceived as calming, wanted, sweet, affectionate, and kind. That's the problem; the intention is unclear to the person on the receiving end. Stop doing it Joe.

I'm just not ready to ruin the career of somebody for something like this.

If that's the direction this train is going, then don't worry about pushing me off because I'm already going.
neptuneblue

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 03:17 pm
@maporsche,
You keep saying "career."

And what career is that, exactly? Standing in the shadows, lurking? He does that well.