The Case For Biden

georgeob1

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 09:26 am
@maporsche,
Perhaps the issue here is in just what one considers to be a "meetoo" moment.
My impression is that they involve both substantial, and imaginary or fraudulent claims; and some with legal significance and some without.
edgarblythe

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 09:27 am
There are about twenty other candidates out there, most of whom probably don't abuse women of their personal space. I know he is a conservative, and won't rock any boats. But he is cooked with people who give an actual damn.
maporsche

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 09:31 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

There are about twenty other candidates out there, most of whom probably don't abuse women of their personal space. I know he is a conservative, and won't rock any boats. But he is cooked with people who give an actual damn.

This is quite a silly post and should be noted as such.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 09:44 am
@georgeob1,
There is nobody out there in charge of defining what is and what is not metoo. Tarana Burke has declined the honor, and nobody else is in a position to credibly draw the boundaries of metoo. Whether one can call this (or anything else) a metoo moment or not is a moot point.

Biden's candidacy is burst. That's the important takeaway.
engineer

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 09:48 am
My overall take on Biden is he has come a long way in terms of understanding a lot of the issues that define the current Democratic electorate and he has a lot of experience and credibility, especially with blue collar workers. On the down side, his age is a big negative, he will have to go a good ways to show that he has evolved from some of his misguided positions in the 80's and 90's and he has a significant issue with personal boundaries. I don't know how you can disregard the latter. You don't walk up to someone who is essentially a stranger, sniff her hair and kiss her on the head. There is no way to spin that. No, no one is accusing Biden of rape or attempted rape, but there is just no way to spin that. If Biden did that to guys then you could go with "well, he is weird that way", but it seems like it's a Biden/women thing and maybe also with women where there is a power imbalance. Saying I hug babies, shake hands and greet supporters all the time doesn't cover this.

I value his experience especially with a candidate field that is thin it and honestly I think the electorate cares about this a lot less than the political class based on Trump's results, but his negatives are too large at this point when we have other good options.
maporsche

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 09:52 am
@engineer,
I'm not voting for Biden in the primary (if he runs) either, but it won't be because of his personal boundary issues.

If it's Biden v Trump in November 2020 though, I will happily vote for him.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 09:57 am
I'm not voting for Biden because I never vote for conservatives, aside from he does not know how to respect a woman's space. The stock "He has evolved" is meaningless. Don't pay attention to Maporsche. She thinks she is the arbiter of what we can say on here.
maporsche

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 10:05 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Don't pay attention to Maporsche. She thinks she is the arbiter of what we can say on here.

Hmmmm.....there is so much wrong here; but carry on.
DrewDad

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 10:05 am
@edgarblythe,
We know, comrade Edgar. We know.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 10:10 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:
Don't pay attention to Maporsche. She thinks she is the arbiter of what we can say on here.

Hmmmm.....there is so much wrong here; but carry on.

Did I get the gender wrong? If so, I apologize.
maporsche

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 10:12 am
@edgarblythe,
I don't care about that; it's an anonymous online forum.

It's the 'arbiter' piece that is very wrong.

Oh, and this is also a mild personal attack.
edgarblythe

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 10:15 am
@maporsche,
You can have the last word.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 10:21 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Biden's candidacy is burst. That's the important takeaway.

I agree that is the likely outcome: however it isn't yet certain. There is also an ongoing, but so far quiet, struggle within the Democrat Party to limit the actions of the emerging loonie left on the party strategy and platform for the coming election. My strong impression is that this is in major part the motivation behind their support for a Biden candidacy. The other emerging candidates for the Democrat nomination ( a strange menagerie of unqualified, untested and I several cases inept aspirants) are working hard to win the support of the emerging radical Left, and have no reason themselves the want a Biden candidacy. That, I believe is the political force behind what is otherwise a fairly silly issue.
maporsche

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 10:24 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

The other emerging candidates for the Democrat nomination ( a strange menagerie of unqualified, untested and I several cases inept aspirants)

I'm wondering if you'd be willing to put names next to your adjectives of the candidates.
georgeob1

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 10:32 am
@maporsche,
Hardly a worthwhile effort, as all the adjectives apply in varying degrees to each member of this curious group.

As I indicated earlier, eliminating Biden is a gift to Trump.
Olivier5

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 10:43 am
@georgeob1,
Well, viewed from afar, it's the entirety of US politics that are pretty silly at the moment, not just this issue.

As far as untested goes, it'd be hard to get worse than Trump. Beside, neither Harris nor Warren nor Sanders are "untested". People know who they are and what they stand for.

Quote:
There is also an ongoing, but so far quiet, struggle within the Democrat Party to limit the actions of the emerging loonie left on the party strategy and platform for the coming election.

If this is true, it's indeed a very quiet struggle. None of the party heavyweights have supported Biden so far, not even Obama...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 10:48 am
@georgeob1,
Biden can't win. He's off out there in the briar patch.
0 Replies

Brand X

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 11:53 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 said:

'Trump's electorate doesn't care about Metoo but the Dems do. That makes an important difference.'

One might go so far as to say would be Biden electorate(voters plain sick of Trump) at large don't care about #metoo, but progressives definitely do. I think that's where Biden is not going to get a pass.
maporsche

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 12:09 pm
@Brand X,
Brand X wrote:

One might go so far as to say would be Biden electorate(voters plain sick of Trump) at large don't care about #metoo, but progressives definitely do.

One might also go so far as to say that they care very much about #metoo but don't think what Biden has done rises to the level of a #metoo moment.

Now, I understand that I don't get to define what a #metoo moment is...but I can say that if this is how far #metoo will go, then they won't take me that far with them. I'm sure I'm not alone in this among Democrats. Hell, a ton of #metoo people are with me as well on Twitter and coming out in support of Biden, who by most all accounts has been a champion of women.
revelette1

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 12:36 pm
In my view, he is best one for the job so far even including his negatives and I think he would easily win if not for his age. On this whole personal space issue which is overdramatic I think he should ride it out and not announce until late in the season after everybody else has been out there and saying stuff for a while.