The Case For Biden

maporsche

Tue 2 Apr, 2019 12:04 pm
@georgeob1,
I don’t think what Biden is accused of “not respecting personal space” is on par with being accused of rape and sexual assault.

Even Biden’s ‘accusers’ have specifically stated it was not sexual.

And I don’t know that they are politically motivated either.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Tue 2 Apr, 2019 01:44 pm
@georgeob1,
George you need to admit that Kavanaugh was accused of attempted rape. Biden of touching shoulders. Just shows what a damaged person you are. But the fact you back Trump as most unamerican republicans do had already shown that.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 2 Apr, 2019 02:30 pm
Biden sniffed women’s and girl’s hair from behind and kissed them from behind. It’s not a crime, but why minimize it like that?
RABEL222

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 12:14 am
@Lash,
But he dident grab them by the p---y like your righting hero.
Lash

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 01:24 am
@RABEL222,
You pathetic old lame-brained duopolists got us in this disgusting tribalist mess—always trying to say your trash stinks just is a little less than the other guy’s trash.

You’re an idiot, Biden’s an imbecile, and Trump’s psychotic.
0 Replies

Brand X

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 05:08 am
@RABEL222,
In a work place what Biden does by sneaking up behind women and touching them, kissing them, would be sexual harassment.

I wouldn't dare tell Flores or any of these women to their face, 'hey, at least Biden isn't as bad as Trump'. Would you?

maporsche

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 05:41 am
@Brand X,
He wouldn’t have to.

Flores came out and told America that a) it wasn’t a ‘me too’ moment and b) if it came down to Biden vs Trump she’s support/vote for Biden. “That’s not even a question” I think was her quote.
Brand X

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 05:44 am
@maporsche,
True. Biden's actions have nothing to do with Trump anyway.

But all of the women in Biden's wake may not feel the same way as Flores does.
edgarblythe

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 06:32 am
Caruso, 22, told the Times that Biden rested his hand on her thigh even as she attempted to show her discomfort by squirming in her seat during an event on sexual assault at the University of Nevada at Las Vegas. Caruso, who was 19 at the time, added that Biden hugged her "just a little bit too long."

ADVERTISEMENT
She told the newspaper that the interaction was uncomfortable because she had just talked about her own sexual assault and expected Biden to be aware of physical boundaries.

"It doesn’t even really cross your mind that such a person would dare perpetuate harm like that," she told the Times. "These are supposed to be people you can trust."

Hill, 59, told the newspaper that while taking a photograph with Biden in 2012, the then-vice president placed his hand on her shoulder and began moving it down her back, something she said made her "very uncomfortable."

"Only he knows his intent," she added.
0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 07:37 am
@Brand X,
Brand X wrote:
But all of the women in Biden's wake may not feel the same way as Flores does.

Maybe not. As it stands, no one is currently accusing Biden of sexual assault.

To try to equate what Biden has done to what any of the #metoo abusers have done is an insult to all the survivors of sexual assault and I believe it runs the risk of diluting the #metoo movement.

Invading personal space is one thing. Sexual assault is quite another.

I'm glad these women are speaking out. They should continue and I hope Biden and the rest of us listen closely. BUT, it's not a #metoo issue and we all need to be careful conflating the issues.
Olivier5

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 08:00 am
Metoo or not, his candidacy is just gone now.
maporsche

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 08:06 am
@Olivier5,
That's TBD I think.
Brand X

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 08:12 am
@maporsche,
The #metoo movement created the climate for the intensity of the coverage that's happening, so Biden's actions and #metoo are already conflated.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 08:21 am
@maporsche,
Wanna bet? He was not even sure he wanted to run and now that nails it.
maporsche

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 08:37 am
@Olivier5,
I think you're probably right.

I'm just not prepared to rule anything out in this crazy political world we're living in where Donald Trump is president.
Olivier5

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 08:48 am
@maporsche,
Trump's electorate doesn't care about Metoo but the Dems do. That makes an important difference.
maporsche

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 08:51 am
@Olivier5,
My sincere hope is that this isn't viewed as a Metoo moment.

I think that will be the beginning of the end of the movement if incidents like these are conflated with Metoo.
Olivier5

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 08:59 am
@maporsche,
As said already by Brand X, in a US professional setting, any unwanted physical contact between two people is frown upon and can lead to complains of sexual harrasment. I got summoned for congratulating a woman's dress back in the 90's when working in NYC... Now they are even regulating the maximum duration of eye contact in some places.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 09:01 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Why? Because he's a Democrat?

maporsche wrote:

I think that will be the beginning of the end of the movement if incidents like these are conflated with Metoo.
They've crossed that line already: Oliver is correct.
maporsche

Wed 3 Apr, 2019 09:06 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

maporsche wrote:

Why? Because he's a Democrat?

No George. Although, I'll admit that if it happened to a republican I probably wouldn't jump to their defense (although, you and others would, I'm sure) but I don't think my feelings on this would change one bit.

Because, these types of incidents, while recognized as unwelcome. Do not rise to what I perceive to be a MeToo moment. I've had my personal space invaded by a woman and by men. I don't feel as though I'm a sexual assault victim. I think it's offensive to women who have survived sexual attacks.

If MeToo starts to get conflated with stuff like this, then I'm sorry but I think the MeToo movement will start to lose me.

My fiance is a victim of sexual assault, and I could not be a bigger fan of women speaking out and I even support these women speaking out against Joe Biden. I think the statue of limitations should be eliminated in sexual assault cases. But if this is where MeToo is going, then those women will start to lose me and human nature says that once something gets too diluted, it starts to lose any meaning or effectiveness.